Big Bare Essential - Foam Build

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Big Bare Essential - Foam Build

Postby GPW » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:30 pm

I don’t want to upset anybody but my old Hunting buddies tell me Bear steak is pretty tasty … Just sayin … when the Bear becomes a problem …there’s a natural thing to do ( and no it’s not let’s go murder them all ) … And what a nice rug for a Winter TD … :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby LostCajun » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:16 pm

Getting closer to putting two things together and having some glue in the middle....

Finally found all the pieces....my vintage....unused....vermont american....biscuit joiner attachment for a router....actually never have done one biscuit...

but, I was prepared back in 96' according to the manual....or maybe I did when I built that kitchen in that old farmhouse in Oxford, OH.....originally built in 1810~ as a square log cabin....and bricked in 1830's....actual date was on one of the bricks.....kitchen wasn't added until much later.....when current wife had a snake come out of the old cabinets and pass between her feet.....seems I was to build a new kitchen....and I did....can't remember if I actually used this or not....maybe I used some other method....but, the counter top I made was thrifty butcher block from those premade panels....I remember getting stain grade....

So.....many things to do to get set up right before glueing up it seems.....

going to have a floor soon......
Building a teardrop or reasonable facsimile thereof
Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=70932
LostCajun
Teardrop Advisor

Postby LostCajun » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:44 am

Update time: more of a self commitment....

If I say it....it is more likely to happen....and if I write it....well....I committed to it....I would sure look for it.....

It sure is taking more little prep steps than I was thinking....

I guess I did use that biscuit joiner attachment for the router back in the late nineties.....I had to clean the sawdust out of the slider grooves and everywhere else....what I didn't plan on was finding the 3 countersunk screws 20 years later....the three screws that hold the attachment to the router....but, I have the slot cutter bit and plenty of biscuits and glue....so nothing holding me back on the 'tub' floor except me manhandling those 3/4" plywood sheets....I was ready to get started before the last few days of rain, but had to drive 20 miles to get 3 screws for the tool...

I did finish GPW"s thread FoamStream and recently saw he got some longer used windows to put on his bug out....I have been eyeing the slider windows in my leftover truck cap, from my recent retirement of my 2001 GMC 2500HD....a shame to rip the windows out.....but, I was thinking of making some plexiglass windows for the sides and also making the door.....I think I have still have a really old fifth wheel door....maybe the window in it would be usable? Have to go dig in the pile.

Hoping to get started actually making some sawdust later today.
LostCajun
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:30 am

Good Luck , please take some pictures …. :pictures:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby LostCajun » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:51 pm

:pictures:

theres one...

working with wood today....blasphemy....ifn I had more time....I 'wood' put down a foam core floor....'next' time? oh no.....its contagious....I have started on my second one before I start on the first one....

I think I have my removable pod concept figured out in a way that will work for me....going to test it as I am building pics to follow and some real low wealth drawings....
LostCajun
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:51 pm

One idea leads to the next , usually before you can finish the first … Classic Foamie thinking … viz. “Thinking !!!” :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby LostCajun » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:16 pm

taking a break....

I have declined more in the last six months than I have in past 7 years....

Its 68 degrees and 55% humidity.....and I am soaked....just after loading two 3/4 sheets on the gunwales of my carry on trailer....and my legs feel like I am carrying 3 sheets right now sitting down....this is going to be a long haul....

I want to know where are all those kids and grandkids helping me like I helped all those old farts in the straw hats and puffing those King Edwards...when I was young...thats one of the hardest things of moving away and burning all those bridges for most practical purposes....if I was back in the swamp....I would have more help....but if I can't survive the heat at 68 degrees.....the swamp isn't very inviting anymore...

I am going to get some wood cut tonite....

I am breaking in my new generator....I started the break in just before that 'big' storm was supposed to hammer us.... :lol:

my old champion rv ready 4000 peak....is still running strong....first pull....boought it in the first year after Katrina....to power my current HOME....my 34 foot Copper Canyon....have used it for the constant power outages over the years....and for bug out when I had a real truck to pull this 12k trailer.....the carburetor had starting leaking gas while it was running....actually have a replacement carb and hoses only 10 bucks at the jungle store....it was too hot for me to change it...so I went and bought a new one....think its a 4500 or something close....will have to find a new owner for the old one....

Finally cooled off enough to get back to work....

I keep reminding myself.....this igloo on wheels I am building is my ticket to go anywhere....and survive the trip....
LostCajun
Teardrop Advisor

Postby LostCajun » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:49 pm

getting ready to cut the upper deck, getting an idea of just how big this will be...

I am only going to cut the front piece off to the width to start with....I may try to work in the top outline of each side bench in the 3/4" and only cut out the center foot area.

Leaving the ability to tie in the wings back to lower floor in some fashion beyond the 'tub' wall...

I am going to toy with a few ideas here before cutting inside the 5x8 perimeter. Maybe cut out a hinged bench top for each side, I could save a little weight by using thinner plywood for the cutout covers....all just idea stage right now....easiest thing would be to go with a big across the front bench

Then I will cut the floor, the side walls and the rear upper deck
LostCajun
Teardrop Advisor

Postby LostCajun » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:16 am

Woah Silver.....slow down....

making a cut list and checking it a bunch of times....different each and every time....

First time thru.....I was over 3 sheets of 3/4"....and thought? :thinking:

I think I must be in the wrong section :thumbdown: ....this isn't the 400 lb floor section?

I have to rethink this.....ifn I still had my Duramax/Allison.....butn I don't....

But, then....thats the way I roll.....overbuild the first visual....and then build what I can afford....after I throw most of it out....

this is going to take me a couple of more days just to decide how to cut it up.....
LostCajun
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:56 am

Yes , don’t be constrained by standard thinking …a good bit of the floor strength comes from the trailer’s metal crossmembers. You don’t really need that much , you’re only attaching foam walls to it … Our latest fascination is a "Board floor" which can be very practical , light and no chance of delamination or going mushy … If you can find some nice 5/4 Cedar fence boards , I think that would make a fine floor with a little extra framing , and not break the bank either … :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby LostCajun » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:22 pm

GPW wrote:Yes , don’t be constrained by standard thinking …a good bit of the floor strength comes from the trailer’s metal crossmembers. You don’t really need that much , you’re only attaching foam walls to it … Our latest fascination is a "Board floor" which can be very practical , light and no chance of delamination or going mushy … If you can find some nice 5/4 Cedar fence boards , I think that would make a fine floor with a little extra framing , and not break the bank either … :thinking:

today is a new day and new look....

I had a night to think about it and going to go cut out the front section so I can actually sit in the box....

I have a few old sheets of OSB....and I might cut one of those up first to play with the what if's....before I cut one of the 3/4 sheets....perfect weather today, 60 degrees and 47% humidity....and sunshine
LostCajun
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:52 pm

LC , for Thrifty reasons , if you soak that OSB wafer board with "the mix" till it won’t take anymore , and use a drip edge , it should last forever…. We found the reason RV floors fail is because they don’t treat them with anything to waterproof them … Therefore they soak up water like a sponge … and then you have to bring them in for expensive repairs … ( See: "Money Pit” and “scams “ ) $>
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby LostCajun » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:10 pm

GPW wrote:LC , for Thrifty reasons , if you soak that OSB wafer board with "the mix" till it won’t take anymore , and use a drip edge , it should last forever…. We found the reason RV floors fail is because they don’t treat them with anything to waterproof them … Therefore they soak up water like a sponge … and then you have to bring them in for expensive repairs … ( See: "Money Pit” and “scams “ ) $>

I got my 'nose' cut and playing with painters tape...

I 'found' two sheets of lost 1/2" T-111 smooth...no groove....I am thinking about a core floor.....1/2" + 1" foam + luan..(have enough of all to do it that way)...do the lower tub that way.....floor and sides of the 'tub'....then cap off with 3/4" and be more than generous with it.....tieing it back to the floor towards the center further than the width of the tub wall....maybe 18" strip of 3/4" full length of trailer....using posts to anchor back to floor....that would make the wings rigid enough to pick up the whole shooting match by the wings.....the 'lift' would be transferred back to the floor....with maybe a 2x2 rail.....9" in towards the center.....I am working thru it....

I may try a rough sketch.....I came in for some meds....I have a RV queen mattress laying on it right now....time to take a few pictures and photo shop it.....
LostCajun
Teardrop Advisor

Postby LostCajun » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:55 pm

I am going to take a better look tomorrow, this might be some donor parts for my rear door....a real old fifth wheel was demo'ed in the park about 5 years ago....I used a couple of the windows in my radio shack....I had the door and really cool very light alum 3 sided roof rack and rear ladder on a junk stack for possible projects....maybe....

this would make quite the vent in the rear door and I could salvage the pre-hung casing and door frame on that nice alum hinge...but without shortening the height....I would have a 72" camper.....not planning on that......I will have to see if I can cut that hinge and be happy with the results.....

I believe I am headed in a totally new direction for bed/couch/dinette? I am looking at the Milliard 6" tri-fold mattress, starting with a slant back one 26" cushion supported on an angle a little distance from the front wall.....then two 6" cushions stacked across the front....making a sofa....I would then complete the slat platform that started with an angled back.....to then fold down flat....and also have an additional 'layer' that can then be pull out toward the rear of the camper.....creating the queen sized 78" length.....

When in the sofa configuration.....that would leave a nice open area.....which I would complete with a two seat on each wall dinette 'small table' in the middle....the dinette would disappear when the bed platform is pulled out.....
LostCajun
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:40 am

"When in the sofa configuration.....that would leave a nice open area” That’s also what we planned with all those cushions ... :thinking: A little open space is much appreciated ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies