Facebook group for just us and our foamies?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Facebook group for just us and our foamies?

Postby jimbo69ny » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:15 pm

Anyone know if there is a facebook group for just us and our foamies? I've looked and I don't see one. I think we should have one.

Anyone interested in starting one with me?
jimbo69ny
Teardrop Master

Re: Facebook group for just us and our foamies?

Postby John61CT » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:25 pm

hate FB
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jimbo69ny » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:02 pm

John61CT wrote:hate FB

I am sorry to hear that. Billions of people are on it and use it every day though. Its also very easy to get a quick answer and share photos. I know I am not a pro on this forum yet but I really don't like the photo sharing feature here. It sucks.
jimbo69ny
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:55 pm

Having my own FaceBook pages , I can say , These is not the kind of discussions for Facebook … Too technical , too much room for misinterpretation by non trailer folks … Better for pet pictures , recipes ,family reunions , and political hacking … and a large possibility of leading SPAMMERS and advertisers to this site which has already had enough trouble with that .. :o Not a good idea !!! Sorry , we already have a great Foamie home right here ...!!! :thumbsup:

And now we just learned Facebook has shared Everybody’s information with Anybody who wanted it … :frightened: grrrrr !!!
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:00 pm

I use FB as an easy contact device for a few very select friends and family members. Less than 20 people. I mostly dislike their groups as they fill up a lot of space and are hard to search through for previous posts. Plus I don't like their ads, their selling of my info, etc. I would not go to FB for how-to info. Not to mention how sloppy they are with handling your info.
Last edited by MtnDon on Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:00 pm

Pics Suck ??? Read this … viewtopic.php?f=26&t=49037 :R
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby crttaz » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:44 pm

jimbo69ny wrote:
John61CT wrote:hate FB

I am sorry to hear that. Billions of people are on it and use it every day though. Its also very easy to get a quick answer and share photos. I know I am not a pro on this forum yet but I really don't like the photo sharing feature here. It sucks.

That is the problem, everyone wants an answer now without doing any research, aka they are lazy. Then the answer gets lost....and you have to keep repeating it. Post your FB images here, it is really easy.

My CRV sleeper for example

crttaz
Teardrop Master

Postby jimbo69ny » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:04 pm

Ok I get it. So far everyone is against it but I think it would be good to reach out to people to show them foamies even exist. I only stumbled across the possibility by chance. This forum is very hard to find and it took me weeks to become a member. I haven't found a single channel on youtube with anyone building a foamie. Shamless plug but I have a current build that I am documenting, youtube.com/jimbo69ny I am a horrible youtuber so don't expect much fyi.

It can't be done without your support so I guess its dead. I just thought it would help people.
jimbo69ny
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:28 am

Better for all the info exchange on the topic to be in one place.

Promote the idea by all means, but direct them here for the details
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MtnDon » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:13 am

I am an admin on a different, totally unrelated forum; nothing to do with teardrops or trailers.

A facebook group was suggested by a new member over there. We did a poll and found very little interest.

From the point of view of an administrator, a FB group is just more work. It is a second place to watch. That was the collective opinion of the admins and moderators over there; may not reflect everyone's opinion. The second fault I already mentioned. Here and on other forums you can book mark a topic you are interested in and come back to it easily. In a FB group everything runs together in a long stream. Harder to find something.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby John61CT » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:43 am

The ideal for me would members are working to build up an authoritative wiki. Each page would have a standing discussion thread or even subforum for major/popular ones.

Some more objective topics there could be a "rated consensus" page, others perhaps branching sub-pages outlining the case for the two or more "sides" on the issue.

So noobs coming in every week asking the same Qs can get pointed to the right spot in the wiki, get themselves up to speed more quickly without everything getting re-hashed every time.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby crttaz » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:13 am

You mean like a FAQ at the top of every section?

Most "newbs" still won't bother to read them.

From another "dead" forum thanks to FB, my stats, which I helped to moderate....

Total Posts

The FB group of same people, which everyone had to be approved (I was given that task) I gave up trying to help with 7k members. It now has 21k members and is a total "sh!tshow".....

JMHO

Now, it you wanna start your own page about a build to share on here and elsewhere, that seems to work just fine. I just haven't taken the time to figure it out for myself for my Transmission projects/builds.

Video killed the Radio star
AIM killed mIRC
Facebook killed forums.

PS: Sorry if that song got stuck in your head....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwuy4hHO3YQ

EDIT: YouTube embed link doesn't work
crttaz
Teardrop Master

Postby rowerwet » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:53 am

I got attacked for having an unsafe rig for posting about a camping trip on a Facebook teardrop page.
Basically all the same "it's gonna explode, blow over, fall apart, implode, etc" that was once thrown around on this site.
The multiple 10 hour trips on the interstate and winding mountain roads of Vermont and upstate New York meant nothing, the load of foam kayaks on the roof were also ignored, the many foamies who have done many more miles, and been around much longer also meant nothing.
I ended up just laughing at the clown.

You will find the squaredrop Facebook page more friendly to the foamie than the rest IMO
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:09 am

like Row says , it was enough Trouble convincing people here that they wouldn’t explode on the highway :roll:
Facebook is filled with a lot of people that only want to argue and have really nothing productive or constructive to offer other than their unknowing opinions. * ( non campers , no trailer experience ) :duh: This forum is like a Family !!! Looking out for each other...

PS. All these wonderful ideas about making a concise foamie trailer index … it’s always been a great idea , but who is going to do it ??? … Nobody here gets paid , we’re all volunteers that give a few minutes a day to further advance trailer and camping technology for everyone … :thumbsup:

Just ask Row ^ who did an excellent job organizing half of the Monster thread, and that was a BIG job by itself !!! :applause:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby jimbo69ny » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:13 am

Hahaha I’ve heard all of the same things but that’s because I created the range extending trailer. I call it the T-Rex. It extends the range of my EV for road trips and powers my house when it’s parked at home.

Everyone said it was going to catch fire, blow up and kill my family. And that I am a danger to other drivers for driving it on the road. So I know exactly what your talking about.

Cut to present day, I’m building a foamie with an even larger battery pack underneath it. Haha
jimbo69ny
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Foamies