Portable foamie?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Portable foamie?

Postby Brushtrooper » Sun May 05, 2019 10:15 pm

I am just getting into drag racing and staying at hotels is a killer on the budget. The track we run at allows over night camping. I take 2 cars on an open trailer along with my 23yr old son and my wife. I was thinking about these foamies at the hotel my last trip. Can you guys tell me if this will work. Build the foamie as separate walls and put them together at the track. Throw in the mattress, hook u a stand alone AC and have it tubed in to each sleeping pod. Maybe have the walls set up with ‘pegs” to put each wall together. I am thinking 3 each 4’x8’ pods. One of the 4x8 panels would fold to allow entry and exit. Think combo between a 18 wheeler 36” sit in sleeper and teardrop butit can be taken apart and hauled in a truck bed. Prolly a crazy thought but this would solve a lot of my issue’s. I already have the AC units so that expense is covered.

Is this doable with the foamie build technique? Is it possible I am crazy?
Brushtrooper
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Portable foamie?

Postby me&z » Sun May 05, 2019 11:55 pm

Read this build thread.
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70991

After only a couple of seasons, this camper is being rebuilt as a standing because they got tired of the set up and take down time.
me&z
Teardrop Master

Postby me&z » Mon May 06, 2019 12:02 am

me&z wrote:Read this build thread.
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70991

Oops. That link takes you to the rebuild. But you can see the finished original. Maybe les45 or someone can find the original build. There is at least one other thread about a take down camper but it wasn't a foamie. But also had a long set up and take down time.
me&z
Teardrop Master

Postby Brushtrooper » Mon May 06, 2019 9:33 pm

My idea is to cover the foam with the canvas/glue. Use a peg method of sorts to align and join the panels. Perhaps use cargo straps to lock everything in place. It would be a basic sleeping quarters, the insulation should help with the south Texas heat with ducted AC into the sleeping pod. Any thoughts on how to join the panels? These sleeping pods would have a 10x10 canopy over the pods to help break the heat.
Brushtrooper
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Foamies