Glidden Gripper vs PPG gripper

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Glidden Gripper vs PPG gripper

Postby Hamilton Felix » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:18 pm

I will try again:

Just wanted to say thanks. We grabbed two fives (actually 4.92 gallons, for some reason) yesterday, at the Burlington, WA Home Depot. Left one more behind. Everything else was PPG Gripper.

Paid $112 and change apiece, so total was $243 and change with WA tax. But we are set for a while.

Hopefully, the brain trust here will soon discover something else as good.
Life is too short not to be happy.
Hamilton Felix
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:59 am

Ham , :thumbsup:

Tom said : "I see Kilz has a high bond primer for just this purpose. Kilz Adhesion. This may be the next PMF paint. “ Sounds like another test !!! :o
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Projector » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:46 pm

First heard of the Gripper at HD when an associate mentioned it and showed a sample of it's benefit.
They had two small cinder blocks glued together with only the Gripper which is impressive
In that thought, mixing a glue with a primer seems to be the recipe. What suitable glue could be mixed with a primer to give a similar performance?
If I was building another foamie, would explore this as a homemade Gripper solution. As GPW, whip up some trial batches, glue some cloth and tabs, invert and suspend weights to determine adhesion.
Make it so.
Projector
Teardrop Master

Postby joshuag » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:03 pm

Even though the website differentiates between Glidden and PPG Gripper with availability, the store is using the same SKU# for both so there is no way to tell if they have it in stock. I just went to a Home Depot because it showed 4 5-gal buckets of Glidden but they were all PPG. The Home Depot paint manager and a rep at Glidden Professional Paint Center both said there isn't a difference between the two... :( I'm going to try calling other Home Depots to see if I can find some.
-Joshua

I want to build a Tipoon clone foamie but I bought a truck, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do next.

Tipoon Youtube
joshuag
Silver Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:37 pm

Projector wrote:In that thought, mixing a glue with a primer seems to be the recipe. What suitable glue could be mixed with a primer to give a similar performance?

I think compatibility issues would cause major potential problems.

The various standard benchmark metrics for adhesion apply as much to paint as it does to sealants and caulks.

And we won't really know until years have gone by.

A single substance IMO is the way to go at least for between the foam and canvas.

Then outside coats of something else can compensate - if necessary - for properties other than the adhesion. Ideally waterproofing will be good though.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Postal_Dave » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:07 am

I plan to start a foamie soon and I had bought PPG Gripper, thinking it was the same stuff but a different label. I'm so glad I read this post. I got lucky and found 1 5-gal bucket of Glidden hidden behind the PPG buckets at a local HD. I hope they didn't change the recipe before they changed the label. That would be a waste of $120. I might have to do some tests with an old gallon of Gripper that I have, the PPG, and the new 5-gal bucket I have to make sure everything is going to work out alright.

I hope to post results in a week.
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Postal_Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:56 am

Postal_Dave wrote:I got lucky and found 1 5-gal bucket of Glidden hidden behind the PPG buckets at a local HD. I hope they didn't change the recipe before they changed the label.
Since they have different MSDS would be illegal
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Postal_Dave » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:58 am

True, it is illegal, but they also say "Same Great Product, New Label". So It's hard to trust them.

For my own peace of mind, I'm going to do a little testing anyway. Plus it will be nice to know how the PPG product stands up to a comparison to TBII and Glidden Gripper on canvas.
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Postal_Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby Tomterrific » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:27 am

I found a couple of possible replacements at Lowes last night. Valspar bonding primer and Bullseye 123. I read the labels and one mentioned for glass. That has got to stick well. They had Kilz primer but not the adhesive primer.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby John61CT » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:43 am

Since the PPG Gripper is I'd assume designed to be close to a drop-in replacement, that would be the logical place to start controlled testing IMO.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:10 pm

Anyone try Mad Dog? Their Dura Last is calked an adhesive.

https://maddogprimer.com/product/dura-l ... ve-primer/

I know several painters who swear by it.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby zzzizxz » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:17 pm

As I continue to work with the old GLIDDEN in some areas, and the new PPG in others on my build, it seems like the PPG is sticking just fine to the foam, and I'm sure that for sticking the foam and canvas together, it will work well.
I only noticed that it was not sticking to the smooth aluminum very well, and I was thinking that it would not work well for gluing drywall corner bead on, and I'm not sure I would trust if for gluing the lauan to the foam on the interior.

On a side note, has anyone ever used elastomeric roof paint for this type of thing?
Not only is the adhesion supposed to be pretty good, but the elasticity of it may be good for a camper that is going to be shifting and moving as it goes down the road.

I wonder how it would do in testing...
zzzizxz
Teardrop Advisor

Postby John61CT » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:06 pm

I've seen people raving about Henry Tropicool for sealing worn RV roofs, but on investigating learned it was a sillycone product, which is a material I avoid 99.99% of the time.

Maybe different elastomeric sealant coatings are say polyurethane based?

But really, Gripper is supposed to do the heavy lifting for waterproofing just fine.

The only jobs left for outermost coatings are iirc

further smooth the texture
protect against UV (very important)
be a cool color

For me the key criteria would be maximum long-term compatibility with the primer / adhesive / sealant used, e.g. the Gripper
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tomterrific » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:05 am

I used a solvent based elastomeric roof coating for my roof. It was Rustoleum painted revolution ply before. The solvent based stuff was almost $50 a gallon! I'm almost sure it is a urethane product. I would not use it for a glue.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby Postal_Dave » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:13 pm

I'm doing a Canvas to Foam Experiment for PPG Gripper Vs. Glidden Gripper.
I bought a gallon of PPG Gripper a month ago. I was told that it was the same thing just different label. After reading this thread, I bought a 5-gallon bucket of Glidden Gripper (the last bucket my Home Depot had in stock). I also have a one-year old can with a little Glidden Gripper left in it. So I decided to do an experiment to see if PPG can glue Canvas to Foam as well as Glidden. For a control factor in the experiment, I'm also using a little bit of Sherwin-Williams Primer and Paint that I happened to have laying around.

I'm using the same rules for this experiment as I used in the "Fixin to get ready" thread.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=70852

I put the canvas down yesterday and the paint should be completely dry by tomorrow morning. I'll post the end results tomorrow afternoon. In this experiment, just like the last one, whichever one is hardest to pull off the foam and pulls up the most foam with it, is the winner.
Postal_Dave
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies