Glidden Gripper vs PPG gripper

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Glidden Gripper vs PPG gripper

Postby John61CT » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:39 am

I'm thinking, as has been **very** common in tech industries, acquire a product that is superior to yours and kill it off, eliminating competition to your higher margin one.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby fishboat » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:17 pm

John61CT wrote:I'm thinking, as has been **very** common in tech industries, acquire a product that is superior to yours and kill it off, eliminating competition to your higher margin one.

Possible, but typically a company wouldn't adopt the superior product's name if they have something out there already. It confuses (read market share loss) the customers and the superior product name with junk inside doesn't fool anyone other than one-off big box consumers...many of them won't be fooled either for long as the word gets around. Any larger customer that knows, and relies on the product with volume sales, would reject the first shipment of the 'fake' product under the superior product name. Larger customers work under sales (volume) contracts with built-in discounts based on volume. Those contracts also state that any product formulation change has be be proceeded, buy months, with notification of the change. If PPG just ships fake product (using the Gripper name/trademark) without notice they'd be liable for all costs incurred by the customer in lost sales, product failure..etc.. downstream. This can easily reach millions of dollars(seen it happen at lightening speed)..which is how we gained customer's over the years as we offer some of the best materials available..at a price that matched their performance. PPG wouldn't do it...they've been around a long time.

Nobody wins when a good product is killed intentionally. There's plenty of money to be made in (higher) performance products as performance is hard-won and always in demand. Compare a box store Dutch Boy paint to something offered by a Sherwin Williams store. Big difference in performance and price. SW sales are doing fine..
fishboat
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:19 pm

fishboat wrote:
John61CT wrote:I'm thinking, as has been **very** common in tech industries, acquire a product that is superior to yours and kill it off, eliminating competition to your higher margin one.
Possible, but typically a company wouldn't adopt the superior product's name if they have something out there already
Exactly what's happened here. The Glidden name never got a huge marketing budget, and it's now being phased out.

Gripper is currently an inferior product with the PPG name in front of it.

> It confuses (read market share loss) the customers and the superior product name with junk inside doesn't fool anyone other than one-off big box consumers

The majority of customers are low-knowledge, the source of huge profits.

What made GG great for our purposes - cohesive / tensile strength & incredible adhesion to nearly any substrate, at a very low price - is well outside the usual mainstream use cases for primer.

In fact safe to say 99.99% of its market never actually needed its special properties, and will be served just fine by the inferior replacement, zero loss of PPG profits, just gains from lowering costs.

> would reject the first shipment of the 'fake' product under the superior product name.

Nope, the PPG labels the new stuff as a different product.

> PPG wouldn't do it...they've been around a long time.

Are you trying to say Glidden Gripper hasn't already been discontinued?

> Nobody wins when a good product is killed intentionally.

Poppycock. The buyer eliminates a superior competitor, even with short-term losses, that investment increases market share and profitability long term.

No one loses but the customers and employees of the firm / brand purchased.

Happens every. gd. week. in hundreds of industries.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby joshuag » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:22 pm

So the current recommendation is to stockpile Glidden Gripper if possible, correct? I have an upcoming foamie build that I want to prep for. Is there an easy way to identify the Glidden vs PPG Gripper so I don't accidentally buy the wrong one?
-Joshua

I want to build a Tipoon clone foamie but I bought a truck, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do next.

Tipoon Youtube
joshuag
Silver Donating Member

Postby fishboat » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:49 pm

You're angry John. And making a lot of bold statements. I worked in the industry for 30 years. I'm happily retired(early) and don't have a dog in this fight.

I'm not going to argue with you. Your free to believe anything you like.
fishboat
Teardrop Master

Postby WoodSmith » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:20 pm

I just want to thank everyone for bringing this to my attention, I've been faffing about and watching the boards for years and finally started a build a couple of weeks ago. I have a quart of gripper that I tested years ago, and this topic twigged my attention.

Im sure that supply chains are different across the country, I'm away from home on a biz trip right now, checked the local store online and picked up a gallon of gripper so I'd have it. Checking my hometown Home Depot, they have it in stock also.

Woodsmith

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Glen Smith
Build Journal
WoodSmith
Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:21 am

The difference seems easy to spot.

Either the Glidden name is on it or not.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/PPG-Gripper ... /306920687

If you get the SKU / PPG part#, that will lead you to datasheets and MSDS that show these are not the same material.

I am completely in the dark as to what any points of disagreement may remain here.

I am not "angry", and completely accept this is how free markets work.

If there was enough demand for that property of extreme adhesion to nearly every substrate (perhaps unique, remains TBD by coming research),

then PPG would not have taken this business decision,

which of course is their right, once the line was purchased from Akzo Nobel.

17ae3461d383459791663492065ab7d1.jpg
17ae3461d383459791663492065ab7d1.jpg (71.67 KiB) Viewed 3133 times
glidden-gripper-primer-gripper-latex-primer-sealer-gallon.jpg
glidden-gripper-primer-gripper-latex-primer-sealer-gallon.jpg (9.79 KiB) Viewed 3133 times
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby John61CT » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:26 am

GPW wrote:The Real Gripper was the only thing that was shown to hold up

More Testing !!! Again ….

Probably best to use

"the original Glidden Gripper"

and

"the new PPG Gripper"

to distinguish between the two formulations.

Unfortunately the latter is as Real as it gets
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby joshuag » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:35 am

Sweet! Thanks John61CT! I wasn't sure if PPG was still using the Glidden name on it so I thought it might get confusing.
-Joshua

I want to build a Tipoon clone foamie but I bought a truck, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do next.

Tipoon Youtube
joshuag
Silver Donating Member

Postby rmclarke » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:41 pm

I contacted PPG via email 2 days ago....they replied that a representative would contact me within 24 hrs...so far, nothing...I will repost anything I hear.

**Disclaimer: "I am not a scientist or a chemical technician. The following is MY OPINION only."
While perusing many MSDS online and comparing ingredients, it appears that the Glidden Gripper brand contains several polymers and co-polymers that I have not seen in other brands. Most all primers contain titanium dioxide, or clay, or talc, or diatomaceous earth in differing total percentile of ingredients (and other stuff, of course); but Glidden Gripper is the only one (so far), which contains these specific polymers and co-polymers i.e. plastics. I suspect it is these polymers which make Glidden Gripper adhere so well...and for around $25 a gallon, this is what made Glidden Gripper so appealing (to me).

There may be other adhesive primer out there which (after testing) will do the same job as Glidden Gripper. I have seen several industrial adhesive primers which appear promising however their cost seem prohibitive ($50 per gallon and higher).

**End of my 2 cents worth**
"When a hammer is the only tool you own, every problem begins to look like a nail..."

ImageFrom this: Image to this: Image Finally!!
rmclarke
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:25 pm

DON’T PANIC!!!

We’ve used other things before , there are still many other things that will work … We just have to find then and test them … It’s unfortunate to lose a really good product like the gripper ( Glidden) , But it happens all the time because some corporation decides they need even more profit ( or less competition) so omit some of the “goodies" and change the name slightly … It’s Our society ( all about MONEY)
And then remember the Old Timers used things we can’t get anymore ( never could ) … and that worked too … Lots of choices … even the old reliable T2 , as long as we realize it’s limitations …( water resistant …not waterproof)
As long as they keep manufacturing Foam we’re basically all Good ….but I can see future enviornmentally friendly foams made of such things as Hemp (legal) , so if something happened ( hypothetically) like the trailer caught on fire , you wouldn’t have to worry about the TOXIC plastic vapors , but instead could get out the hot dogs and marshmallows ... :lol: ... :R S'MORES anyone ? :D
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:58 pm

rmclarke wrote: polymers which make Glidden Gripper adhere so well...and for around $25 a gallon, this is what made Glidden Gripper so appealing (to me).

There may be other adhesive primer out there which (after testing) will do the same job as Glidden Gripper.
We can only hope

> I have seen several industrial adhesive primers which appear promising however their cost seem prohibitive ($50 per gallon and higher)

Well IMO you use the right tool for the job, $100 total extra is not **that** big a deal to get double the longevity.

It's just a pain to have to reinvent the wheel again.

Or worst case some choose to fiberglass 8-(
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Zzyzx » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:47 pm

So how much Gripper does it take to canvas say a 4x4x8 trailer box, inside and out? Stockpilers want to know....
Zzyzx
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:07 am

ZZ, just from previous efforts … It depends how you apply it … We found if you painted it on carefully with a brush , it used less than painting with a roller … Over our rough beaded foam we noticed it took more product than over the blue or pink Closed cell foam ... We think most paints are good for ~ 400sq.ft per gallon , but as an adhesive , I’d guess half of that would be a safe assumption … And we found a trick to preserve paint … when you use some out of a gallon can ( or fiver) put a piece of saran wrap ( plastic wrap ) over the paint ( on the paint …. ) which keeps air from contacting the paint and keeps it fresh Much longer … Try it ... :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tomterrific » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:40 am

Years ago, before I heard of Gripper, my wife painted something with water base primer. She had a glass of water and she got finger prints on the glass. They did not come off in the dish washee. They did not come off with a scratchy sponge. I gave up for about a year until one day I went after the paint with a sharp knife. This primer was distinguished as "high bond" primer for glazed surfaces such as tile.

I see Kilz has a high bond primer for just this purpose. Kilz Adhesion. This may be the next PMF paint.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies