Glidden Gripper vs PPG gripper

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Glidden Gripper vs PPG gripper

Postby zzzizxz » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:29 pm

Hey all,

I went to buy some more glidden gripper, and they only had PPG. I read that it is the same stuff, but wanted to know if anyone had any hard experience with the two.
When I was putting on the PPG, it seemed just as thick as the Glidden, but it smelled more like standard latex house paint, and not as, I don't know, chemically? as the Glidden does?

I'm sure it will probably be fine, just wanted to know if anyone had any personal experience with PPG.

Thanks!
zzzizxz
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Glidden Gripper vs PPG gripper

Postby John61CT » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:21 pm

PPG Industries bought Glidden from AkzoNobel years ago.

Dunno if the different labels means different contents though.

datasheets and/or MSDS may help
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby zzzizxz » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:52 am

Well, what I could find says that Glidden has 46% +/- 1% solids by volume, whereas PPG only has 39%.

In personal testing these past couple days, I painted both Glidden and PPG on a piece of aluminum tube. The PPG could easily be scraped off with my fingernail. I tried scraping it off from the edge of the painted part, as well as starting in the middle of the painted part. I could scrape it off as easily in the middle as I could at the edge.

When I tried to do the same with the Glidden, I could barely scrape off some paint at the edge, and really couldn't get anything to scrape off in the middle of the painted part. When I took a screwdriver to the painted part, I was unable to uniformly remove the Glidden gripper from the aluminum. I could scrape some off, but it took some real working at it, and I was doing as much damage to the aluminum as I was removing paint.

I feel like the verdict is clear. PPG gripper, despite claiming to be the same product, is DEFINITELY NOT the same as Glidden. PPG seems to be an extra thick latex paint, and not a true gripping paint.

This is probably worth keeping in mind for any time gripper is used as glue.
zzzizxz
Teardrop Advisor

Postby John61CT » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:37 pm

Excellent, thanks for testing, and verifying yes indeed the original Gripper is special stuff, as much sealant / adhesive as primer.

Let's hope PPG doesn't screw it up!
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Pmullen503 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:24 pm

My HD had Glidden Gripper in 5 gallon pails but PPG Gripper only in gallons. Hate to have to buy 5 gallons.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rmclarke » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:46 pm

John61CT wrote:
Let's hope PPG doesn't screw it up!

After reading the both MSDS, that is exactly what they did, unfortunately. PPG seems to have omitted quite a few ingredients! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

My Home Depot still has a few gallons of the original so I think I'll nab a few (even though I'm nowhere near using it)

Glidden Gripper MSDS: https://images.homedepot-static.com/cat ... 3caea8.pdf

PPG Gripper MSDS: https://images.homedepot-static.com/cat ... a689b3.pdf
"When a hammer is the only tool you own, every problem begins to look like a nail..."

ImageFrom this: Image to this: Image Finally!!
rmclarke
The 300 Club

Postby John61CT » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:57 pm

Wut?

Are you saying they're going to try to **replace** the original with the PPG-branded version?

Tell me one of us is misunderstanding, please !!
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby John61CT » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:03 pm

OMG

Google shopping section only shows the PPG branded

product page is 401'd
https://www.glidden.com/products/glidden-gripper-primer

google cache shows

Looking for Glidden Gripper? Glidden Gripper is now PPG Gripper. Reinforce the performance of your interior and exterior finish coat with PPG Gripper ...

aaaarrrrggggghhhhh
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rmclarke » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:09 pm

Boy, I really don't know John.....I think I probably jumped to that conclusion myself....sorry for my 'knee-jerk' reaction :oops:I apologize for making it sound like that.
PPG gripper is definitely not the same product as Glidden Professional Gripper.
"When a hammer is the only tool you own, every problem begins to look like a nail..."

ImageFrom this: Image to this: Image Finally!!
rmclarke
The 300 Club

Postby John61CT » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:36 pm

My post cites I think pretty strong evidence this is the case.

Friggin' disaster afaic, I can't afford to run out and buy a stockpile
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tyrtill » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:38 pm

The bond canvas to foam seams very similar ( I nabbed a 5 gallon bucket of grey gripper for $29 from HD before they ran out) Now I'm stuck with PPG it seems.
Tyrtill
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:56 am

Well, that doesn’t sound so good eh ??? :o After seeing how T2 let us down in heavy humidity , The Real Gripper was the only thing that was shown to hold up ( AFAIK ) …

I was using a local paint mixing center for all my house painting needs , For years we used Richards’ paint which was super . Then they switched to PPG and that wasn’t nearly as good , and didn’t last but half the time …
So what will we use now … ??? :thinking: What are these self etching primers ??? Has anybody tried an oil (shellac) based primer on foam ???

More Testing !!! Again ….
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:13 am

Yes was going to say now research has to start over from scratch

but really didn't want to make it real.

Maybe AkzoNobel could re-release it as a sealant / adhesive.

Let's all call PPG management on Monday morning at least voice our displeasure, who knows?
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby fishboat » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:55 am

My career was in the coatings industry..waterbased graphic arts and industrial coatings base-components along with the solvent based acrylic portion acrylic urethane industrial coatings. Our customers where the big paint manufactures you all know..and a few you don't.

It's unusual that a company would make a large formula change within a known-successful product as the customers will know, right away. This would potentially open, in this case, PPG to downstream liability claims due to performance failures. Changing a product formula without notice is a recipe for ($$$$$) disaster..however..significantly changing a marginally profitable product formula with notice to customers is somewhat common. Though, more often, customers will be given a choice of sticking with the original formula (with the same name, if the major sales are in one specific market with a few major customers, or with a different name)..both at a higher price. Delivering great performance costs more money as the raw materials used will be more expensive than the base-market commodity(lower performance) materials that are sold. When PPG took over, the marketeers would do a product-margin review and "fix" the low margin products to make the business more profitable..this is what marketeers get paid for.

Good, high-performing products are seldom "shelved" as all the costly processes to create --> RDE, Regulatory clearances, Reg documentation/registrations, commercialization, supply chain, process scaleup, process optimization...generating customer demand & validating high performance............................................lot's of stuff...are all done and the entire setup is ready to make money.

When you talk to PPG..ask if the same formula/formulation is available under a different label or in a different market. If so, it'll likely cost you more, but it may be available.

It's possible they took the old formulation off the market due to some (new) regulatory issue. If that's the case, they'd have no choice but to walk away from it..no one likes this as it leaves easy-good money on the table. Success is hard won..they hate doing this.

It's also possible the material had poor sales and a poor margin(using the old cost-base)..in which case it's gone..and they'd be glad to be rid of it.
fishboat
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:23 am

Well for one thing , they didn’t make it easy to find , always hidden away on the bottom shelf at my HD , the usual Bullseye in the prominent shelf space … Can’t recall Glidden ever even advertising it … Not like they WANTED to sell a lot of it eh … :o
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Foamies