Glidden Gripper vs PPG gripper

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Glidden Gripper vs PPG gripper

Postby John61CT » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:12 pm

price is irrelevant but is there a big weight difference?
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:55 am

JL, yes the sledge hammer survived for even more Foamie testing !!! :lol:

Ps… JMHO, we found even the light EPS foam with a good canvas skin can make a formidable trailer … If you’re going for light weight , get the lighter foam , the heavier foam is just denser and more pricy … All your choice ... ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:55 am

JagLite wrote:Good points all. :thinking:

Locally I can get two grades of Foamular, the 150 (15 psi) or the 250 (25 psi) (compressive strengths).
I can't think of any advantage to using the weaker 150, can you?
The 250 is $41 a sheet (2"x4'x8') and the 150 is $37 same size.
I need 9 sheets for my project.

I built with the 150 (1 1/2" thick). It's held up to 16" of snow so far! :D I have more of a flatter roof and did run one strut across in the middle (needed to join two pieces and worked out great).

As far as too stiff goes.. I'm not so certain we could get too stiff with paint. In reality, no so sure we could with fiberglass either.. for the little we actually use anyway. I for one will be leaving PMF behind on the next build and will go fiberglass cloth/polyester resin. When you take the 'poor' out of PMF and use quality paint/material the pricing is pretty darn close to equal. Of course if you keep the 'poor' in PMF and run with bedsheets, tee-shirts or whatever and use cheap/free paints, it will be much less. In my mind the inexpensive way of doing PMF has a bit to be desired..
My Harbor Freight canvas drop cloth looks decent.. The Duck cloth I bought to tent out the back looks great! If only I had found that duck cloth earlier, I would have skinned with it.

No doubt PMF works well.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tomhawk » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:22 pm

I thought the real menace was poultry.

One frozen turkey @60 mph = X sledgehammer strikes

where X is a large number.
Evolution is driven by mistakes, not plans.

My build: https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=75248
tomhawk
Teardrop Advisor

Postby RJ Howell » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:53 pm

tomhawk wrote:I thought the real menace was poultry.

Won't bother doing the math... but... that frozen turkey at 60mph!!! I don't wish to be anywhere that experience... Experiment right be cool though! :beer:
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:53 pm

tomhawk wrote:I thought the real menace was poultry.

Won't bother doing the math... but... that frozen turkey at 60mph!!! I don't wish to be anywhere that experience... Experiment right be cool though! :beer:
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Homebrewer25 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:48 pm

Where's KCStudly with his punkin chukker? I'll bet that would reach 60mph.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=48630&p=1187034&hilit=ballista#p1187034
It's 5 o'clock somewhere ... time for a :beer:

Steve
Foam Ranger Build (postponed by COVID - resuming spring 2021): http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70159
Homebrewer25
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:36 am

We believe KCS has found other interests ... :o We sure would like to see him finish his trailer !!!
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Postal_Dave » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:40 pm

Quick update about PPG Gripper.
After my experiments with PPG Gripper for an adhesive, which it performed so-so in, I didn't know what to do with the rest of the gallon.
I'm happy to report that PPG Gripper performed admirably as a primer on my kitchen ceiling. I'm so glad I finally found a use for it. :lol:
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Postal_Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby Tomterrific » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:19 am

Not quite the subject but has anyone used canvas over plywood? Rather than water based primer would solvent polyurethane be better? Urethanes are glues.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:41 am

...but has anyone used canvas over plywood? Rather than water based primer would solvent polyurethane be better?

PMF over plywood isn't unusual. I've never heard of anyone that has done it with poly.

But there's a point where you might as well fiberglass/epoxy the exterior. The learning curve isn't any taller (maybe shorter) than PMF and it's been done for decades. As long as you protect it from UV, it'll last a lifetime.

The cost is reasonable. I've done enough fiberglassing over wood with epoxy that it really isn't much more of a build-phase than applying varnish.

:thinking:

Keep this in the context that I have never PMF'd wood.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:21 pm

Tomterrific wrote:Not quite the subject but has anyone used canvas over plywood? Rather than water based primer would solvent polyurethane be better? Urethanes are glues.

Tt

Actually flows in nicely since we need a replacement for GG. Depending on material of course, yet I would think you could absorb in 6oz fiberglass with less than 6oz canvas.. Think material based.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:43 pm

yet I would think you could absorb in 6oz fiberglass with less than 6oz canvas..

I just can't imagine putting all of the work into building a teardrop and putting an experimental finish on it and crossing my fingers.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:00 pm

Well that's exactly what this forum is all about, how all the Foamie/PMF started.

Just gone a step back in that direction in search of a substitute.

Not for everyone to be sure
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:27 pm

tony.latham wrote:
yet I would think you could absorb in 6oz fiberglass with less than 6oz canvas..

I just can't imagine putting all of the work into building a teardrop and putting an experimental finish on it and crossing my fingers.

Tony

I was right there Tony as I entered into my build. Also why it was only a topper for my truck. A $200 experiment that proved beyond what I ever thought. I'm sold! Guess someone has to take the step..

You and I have spoken Tony on and off the public and I'm becoming convinced that going fiberglass over XSP is the way now. It is my opinion that PMF done right is no less expensive than glassing. I also feel the differences to do are comparable enough to say neither is easier. Time involved may just be another discussion and I believe glassing may just win out.

If someone has to go cheap... PMF will work.. It's all in the test of time and expense as to which is cost effective. I'm sold on XPS vs. plywood! The finish is to be debated, yet I'm going fiberglass on my next. It just weighs out to close in cost not to and the finishing is cleaner overall.

Again, just my humble opinion with my experience in my build.

My design at this point and still working out details...

Frame

XPS from there... Hopefully...
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies