Glidden Gripper vs PPG gripper

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Glidden Gripper vs PPG gripper

Postby ghcoe » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:06 pm

Like I state above I primed the exterior with primer (glidden gripper) and then applied the canvas using TBII. I thinned the TBII 50/50 and applied the canvas unwashed. I allow the canvas shrinkage to pull out most of it's own wrinkles and it makes for a drum tight skin.

You might want to read through my canvas application description. I tried to cover my techniques well. You might find something useful in there http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54099&start=405 and if you keep reading a bit better info on the second attempt http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54099&start=435.
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:24 am

ghcoe wrote:Like I state above I primed the exterior with primer (glidden gripper) and then applied the canvas using TBII. I thinned the TBII 50/50 and applied the canvas unwashed. I allow the canvas shrinkage to pull out most of it's own wrinkles and it makes for a drum tight skin.

You might want to read through my canvas application description. I tried to cover my techniques well. You might find something useful in there http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54099&start=405 and if you keep reading a bit better info on the second attempt http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54099&start=435.

Great instructions! Well done and thank you again for your advice!

Since we can't get Gilden any more.. I have two choices left to me.. Dilute the Glidden and hope my gallon is enough or go with another primer..
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:50 pm

Just thought of a third..

I have a gallon of Kilz Premium exterior water based primer on hand.. What do you think about combining the two? I figure two gallons I get everything done and at least have 50% Glidden..

I'm on track for Thursday now starting the canvas..
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby CharlieL » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:30 pm

Has anyone tried the bonding primer i ran across at Lowes the last time I went in search of Glidden? have not seen any remarks about it. It is not the "favored" paint of lowes, but another brand
Charlie
Someday I will get off my rump and jump into a build, Thanks folks, for the info. and the things y'all do for one another

Charlie
CharlieL
Teardrop Builder

Postby RJ Howell » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:45 pm

CharlieL wrote:Has anyone tried the bonding primer i ran across at Lowes the last time I went in search of Glidden? have not seen any remarks about it. It is not the "favored" paint of lowes, but another brand
Charlie

Brand name?? Several have bonding or adhesive primers.. I am curious as well.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby John61CT » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:49 pm

Do not dilute.

Do not just mix random products (really?)

I'm sure if you're willing to pay you can still find genuine NOS Glidden.

And no I won't spend time searching for you, prolly just do old-school 411 + phone calls in a 50-100 mile radius.

For those reading this six months from now - start experimenting!

The community needs more pioneers. . .
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Homebrewer25 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:18 pm

A couple of weeks ago I checked my local HD (the orange store) for Glidden Gripper. They only had PPG Gripper.
I called the one in the next town, 25 miles down the road, and asked specifically if the label said Glidden and not PPG. They said it was Glidden, so I made the trip and I bought 5 gallons, even though it will be 6-12 months before I need it.

I'm sure there are still more 5 gal buckets of the original Glidden Gripper out there ... check the HD stores in smaller metro areas or where the turnover is lower.
It's 5 o'clock somewhere ... time for a :beer:

Steve
Foam Ranger Build (postponed by COVID - resuming spring 2021): http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70159
Homebrewer25
Teardrop Master

Postby RJ Howell » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:48 am

Homebrewer25 wrote:A couple of weeks ago I checked my local HD (the orange store) for Glidden Gripper. They only had PPG Gripper.
I called the one in the next town, 25 miles down the road, and asked specifically if the label said Glidden and not PPG. They said it was Glidden, so I made the trip and I bought 5 gallons, even though it will be 6-12 months before I need it.

I'm sure there are still more 5 gal buckets of the original Glidden Gripper out there ... check the HD stores in smaller metro areas or where the turnover is lower.

Called all the suppliers within 150mi of me. No Joy..
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:02 am

John61CT wrote:Do not dilute.

Do not just mix random products (really?)

Randomly?? I asked purposely!! Told you what the two air and how they are based.

I'm sure if you're willing to pay you can still find genuine NOS Glidden.

Not within 150 miles of me..

And no I won't spend time searching for you, prolly just do old-school 411 + phone calls in a 50-100 mile radius.

Oh Gee.. Wish I had thought of that.. Call the stores.. And no, I have not asked you to search for anything. I asked if you had mixed??

For those reading this six months from now - start experimenting!

Start experimenting, yet "Do not mix"?? Isn't that part of experimenting??
So the simple answer would have been, "No I have not."

The community needs more pioneers. . .

And encouragement/proper advise to do so.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby John61CT » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:55 am

So either expand your search and pay for shipping, or experiment with different promising substitutes.

Full strength, and not mixing.

I strongly encourage you in your efforts, Go Team Foamie!
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:16 pm

John61CT wrote:So either expand your search and pay for shipping, or experiment with different promising substitutes.

Full strength, and not mixing.

I strongly encourage you in your efforts, Go Team Foamie!

So what are 'your' thoughts on combinations?
Another has sent me how he did it by using primer on the foam and TB2 on the cloth. My samples have shown primer best on the foam and TB2 best on the cloth so far. He was the first I read of doing both (and succeeding). A mix/combination of another style.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby John61CT » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:49 pm

Already stated, I think the search is complex enough without worrying about compatibility issues that may not reveal themselves for years. Fishboat made an excellent case in support of that position above, I think.

Forget TB2, not waterproofing needs protection itself.

Single adhesive or primer/adhesive that sticks well, encapsulates / seals the canvas against moisture and provides a great substrate for at least one category of topcoat.

Ideally UV resistant itself, can do it all and act as the topcoat.

Likely to be hi tech, perhaps two-part.

Not as concerned about cost if it's very effective and long lasting, want to keep the foam as structure, do not want to work with fiberglass but some type of epoxy maybe.

Right now the PU-based product I posted above would be my testing candidate, or something else that supplier recommends.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tyrtill » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:16 pm

My camper is about 70% glidden gripper so it will make a good test subject. I'll make sure to report in after some adventures.
Tyrtill
Teardrop Advisor

Postby theoldwizard1 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:51 pm

Glidden Gripper was an acrylic primer. The PPG is latex. very different.

A quick Google search shows there are very few acrylic primer available. Sherwin Williams makes one call Pro-Crylic.
theoldwizard1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby fishboat » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:23 pm

theoldwizard1 wrote:Glidden Gripper was an acrylic primer. The PPG is latex. very different.

With due respect, GG was an acrylic latex. PPG Gripper is also a latex, presumably acrylic, but that really isn't the issue. A "latex" is the result of a water-based emulsion polymerization. A primer is just an use-application, one of many..
fishboat
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies