XPS as custom material in Fusion 360

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

XPS as custom material in Fusion 360

Postby joshuag » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:13 pm

Has anyone tracked down all the numbers needed to add XPS foam as a custom material in Fusion 360 so you can do simulations and weight calculations? They have Polyiso, Polystyrene, expanded Polystyrene, and Polyurethane foam... but no XPS of any kind.

I've done some quick searches to verify some of the numbers are easily available but not all. The non-advanced properties include:

Basic Thermal
Thermal Conductivity
Specific Heat
Thermal Expansion Coefficient

Mechanical
Young's Modulus
Poisson's Ratio
Shear Modulus
Density
Damping Coefficient

Strength
Yield Strength
Tensile Strength
-Joshua

I want to build a Tipoon clone foamie but I bought a truck, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do next.

Tipoon Youtube
joshuag
Silver Donating Member

Re: XPS as custom material in Fusion 360

Postby GPW » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:33 am

XPS is just extruded polystyrene … Blu or Pink or green … ( not the Beaded foam … eXpanded polystyrene … EPS )
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Aguyfromohio » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:01 am

This link is to the manufacturer's data sheet for the Owen's Corning pink stuff

http://www2.owenscorning.com/comminsul/ ... amular.pdf

Some of those properties will be tough to find because they just are not important for any practical commercial use of XPS, like:
Specific Heat, Poisson's Ratio, Shear Modulus, Damping Coefficient...
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby joshuag » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:33 pm

Thanks GPW and Aguyfromohio. I had looked at the data sheets but searching them for some of the numbers needed in Fusion wasn't successful. I'll keep looking. I'm currently reading up on how to fold canvas in Fusion as well. It should be interesting.
-Joshua

I want to build a Tipoon clone foamie but I bought a truck, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do next.

Tipoon Youtube
joshuag
Silver Donating Member

Postby Aguyfromohio » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:18 pm

joshuag wrote:Thanks GPW and Aguyfromohio. I had looked at the data sheets but searching them for some of the numbers needed in Fusion wasn't successful. I'll keep looking. I'm currently reading up on how to fold canvas in Fusion as well. It should be interesting.

I would be surprised if Fusion can do a good job of realistically folding, stretching, and draping fabric. Some years ago I worked in an industrial cut-and-sew shop and we looked at just that sort of fabric modeling software. It does exist, it's used by firms like automobile seat manufacturers to predict the behavior of upholstered seats. The material properties for the fabrics probably need to be determined by your own bench testing, and the learning curve to use that sort of software is pretty steep.

Most solid modeling software can fold and unfold sheet metal that does not deform elastically or plastically, but they can't even come close to showing you how a flat piece of cotton knit makes the curved shoulder on a tee shirt, or what shape a pillow might be after you stuff it with foam.

I'm curious why you are interested in doing this sort of highly advanced property modeling for a camper build. When the materials are cheap and you aren't mass producing things, cut-and-try is so quick and easy.
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby joshuag » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:26 pm

I'm interested in doing some simple rigid origami folds with living hinges... and I just want to learn fusion 360 more since I have a 3d printer. I definitely appreciate your input. This video was released a couple of years ago and gives me hope. They make a simple vest on a custom 3d scan of their customer within fusion and then use a plugin to chop it up and lay it flat for cutting.

https://www.autodesk.com/autodesk-unive ... 2016#video
-Joshua

Tipoon Youtube
joshuag
Silver Donating Member

Return to Foamies