Use of "the Mix"

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Use of "the Mix"

Postby JazzVinyl » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:38 pm

I have been trying out "The Mix" for waterproofing wood. I am 2 coats in to a prescribed 3 coats to waterproof a piece of 3/4 plywood.

And it definitely works, 2 coats on and dry and water really beads up instead of soaking in.

But makes we wonder...if I build a foamie and use "The Mix" to waterproof the floor. Won't that make it more difficult to canvas? When I go to wrap the canvas underneath, the fact that it is waterproof seems like it would interfere with the 50/50 TB2/water to stick to the wood?

JazzVinyl
Teardrop Master

Re: Use of "the Mix"

Postby tony.latham » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:56 pm

When I go to wrap the canvas underneath, the fact that it is waterproof seems like it would interfere with the 50/50 TB2/water to stick to the wood?

I'm not a PMF guy, but just tape off the part that you want to leave bare.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby tomhawk » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:00 pm

I have applied the "mix" to my floor as well. I planned to use gripper to adhere the canvas to this surface.

Due to inability to source gripper after visiting a number of HD big box stores during our recent vacation to Utah different plans were needed. I applied the mix to some scrap ply wood and let it dry. I glued a strip of canvas with TB2. After it dried, I could not rip it off.

Admittedly, I only put one coat of "mix" on but it seems to have no affect on bonding. I would suggest you try gluing a bit of fabric somewhere on your varnished floor to test it out. Based on my experiment, it should work fine.

Tom
Evolution is driven by mistakes, not plans.

My build: https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=75248
tomhawk
Teardrop Advisor

Postby JazzVinyl » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:06 pm

tomhawk wrote:I have applied the "mix" to my floor as well. I planned to use gripper to adhere the canvas to this surface.

Due to inability to source gripper after visiting a number of HD big box stores during our recent vacation to Utah different plans were needed. I applied the mix to some scrap ply wood and let it dry. I glued a strip of canvas with TB2. After it dried, I could not rip it off.

Admittedly, I only put one coat of "mix" on but it seems to have no affect on bonding. I would suggest you try gluing a bit of fabric somewhere on your varnished floor to test it out. Based on my experiment, it should work fine.

Tom

Thanks, Tom...

I will do a test as well and see what I get.

Appreciate!
JazzVinyl
Teardrop Master

Return to Foamies