skinning with Tyvek

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

skinning with Tyvek

Postby John61CT » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:37 am

Wondering. . .

Seems like the #10 Tyvek grade is the "most waterproof" and comes in various thickness grades

Obviously extremely light weight compared to canvas with any inherent strength at all.

Even more so, given that the high-tech adhesive is used to attach it to the foam

(TBD, what do they use for the envelopes?)

won't be "soaking through" as much, should not weigh much more than vinyl-wrapping the box.

Yes, I know some care about VOCs, further research needed, water-based might be good enough?

I imagine tensile strength will be good, perhaps **the** strongest common sheet material per weight added?

Excellent puncture resistance of course.

Good UV protection needs to be in place within a couple months.

I bet finding a "primer" to adhere to the outside will be at least a bit of a challenge.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: skinning with Tyvek

Postby RJ Howell » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:17 am

I've seen edges/seams being primered in home construction, yet always questioned it. It seemed more of a less expensive way to seal edges, primer vs. tape (if indeed it worked). Main issue there was when covering an entire side, you always have ripples (real difficult to run 30ft plus without). I have not done a addition where it has been done, so again, don't know how well it actually worked or held up.

I do know Tyvek says it can be bonded with primer, but I haven't seen a recommendation of a specific product. They say test first. My reading spoke mostly of hot glue, assuming sheet much like veneering to plywood.

I also wonder just how well it would top-coat and hold up.. That I have not read about yet..
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Foamies