Getting this Foamie off the ground

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Getting this Foamie off the ground

Postby Terra6 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:09 pm

Fwiw and in imho, would NOT do the exterior in PMF but instead use the existing exterior for simplicity and cost saving.
You'll have so much work gutting and redoing the interior that you will be glad not to have to do the exterior on a trailer that large. You might also run out of funds.
Use that time and money to go camping! :D
On the road to Shambala...
Terra6
Teardrop Master

Postby tem3000 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:13 am

That is very sensible advice, and thank you. Being kinda near-done with the gut, I'm realizing how much work there was and how much is left to do, so scaling back would free up more time and money to go camping, I hope. And sooner, rather than later. :worship: I think the world may be imploding.

Question, though: the studs are 1 1/2" wood, and the pink foam will be cut to fit the gaps. If I keep the exterior (aluminum sheet, I think?) in that scenario, I'd only be able to canvas/glue/paint the interior. Given that there will still be plenty of wood framing, I'm hoping that the structural integrity will still be solid. What do you think?

I'm glad the fold out porch, roof, and "railings" will all be real PMF, at least.

I'll see if I can attach a coupla pictures of the current state of the gut. Next, it's pulling up the partially rotted floor, as well as removing the dead a/c. Then the fun part can begin!
Attachments
Gut3.jpg
Gut3.jpg (141.95 KiB) Viewed 812 times
Gut2.jpg
Gut2.jpg (199.39 KiB) Viewed 812 times
Gut1.jpg
Gut1.jpg (199.22 KiB) Viewed 812 times
tem3000
Teardrop Inspector

Postby John61CT » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:38 pm

Not a "foamie" anymore, little need for canvas at all, luan liner or one of the synthetic sheets.

Find your local spray foam insulating outfits, do all the taping prep yourself let them know you will scrape & clean up the excess

get prices for a quick side job, you bring it to where they are already set up doing a house on a nice hot day.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tem3000 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:39 am

Thank you for that good advice. One of the goals for this was not just it being a foamie, but building something myself. So I might stick with the foam, even if it's harder and looks worse, for that lone reason. We shall see.

But you're quite right, it's not a foamie anymore. And because of that, it's not appropriate for this forum anymore. If I ever do finish this thing and use foam for anything other than between the studs, I'll post a few pictures. Other than that, I'll stop posting and continue to be grateful for all the advice I've been given here.

Terry
--------------------------------------------
Don't believe everything you think.
tem3000
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KCStudly » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:13 pm

Just post a request here to have a "mod" (moderator, in this case Eaglesdare... or PM her with a link... she checks in occassinally) move the thread to canned hams or another suitable restoration thread. They will and should also notify you by PM where they moved it to. Then just keep posting.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:05 pm

tem3000 wrote:I'll stop posting...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! :frightened:

Please don't stop! This is your thread and it has value. Regardless whether your project can be considered an "official" foamy or whatever is meaningless. I say go ahead and ask Eaglesdare if she wants to move it to a different area of the site, then just keep on keeping on. I think you're doing great!
:applause:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby John61CT » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:03 am

I certainly did not mean what I think you inferred, nor any criticism at all, please do keep posting who cares what sub the thread fits in
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:07 am

By popular demand … The post shall remain … :thumbsup: Besides I thought we all decided a long time ago the a Foamie did not have to be All foam …. :thumbsup:

And JMHO , although we Love those aluminum sided trailers , If they only treated the wood inside , Most of these problems wouldn’t happen … That and they don’t use the best wood either …
:thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Foamies