Silverado cowboy

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Silverado cowboy

Postby theatv » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:09 am

Hello, I'm posting as a new member. In '04, I purchased a FWC shell for my Dakota and liked the ability to close the tailgate and weight. Unfortunately the newer designs don't allow for a tailgate on a shortbed. I started to think about building a cowboy style camper for my Silverado, w 5'9" bed. I found Bug Out Campers on YouTube, and discovered foamies. After watching many, many videos and reading many, many posts, I've come up with an idea for a build that can hopefully begin by the new year. I'll post a couple of drawings now and share my progress along the way. Any ideas or suggestions are always welcome.

Most cowboy campers sleep two, lengthwise in the truck bed, but mine will sleep one across the truck bed. If my calculations are correct, the following material will weigh around 150# and I'm shooting to keep the dry weight under 250-300#. The lower box of the camper is 48"x 66" x 22 1/2" to fit the truck box between the wheel wells, and will be 1/2"OSB sandwiched with 1 1/2" XPS; line-x or similar on the outside, and PMF inside. The upper box sidewalls are 84" x 66" x 22" front/37 1/2" rear made from 2" XPS, and PMF inside/outside. The roof is 84" x 66" using 2" XPS, with a front pitch that lines up with the top of the cab and PMF inside/outside.

The drawings don't show my first two changes, extending a 5" OSB/XPS vertical strip from the back and front walls and over the truck bed rails to help tie-in and support the upper box. Also, I'll use wood strips or square aluminum tubing across the roof to strengthen the 84" wide section. I haven't shown the side windows or entry door as I'm more concerned with structure right now. Winds in Boulder can easily blow 100+mph at times and Wyoming is always a bit breezy, so I don't want to see my camper pass me on the road or come apart along I-70. I'm still using the board and just started to learn Sketchup. The perspective drawing is posted at 90, and I'm not sure how to correct so my apologies.
Thanks in advance.
Dennis
Attachments
Camper1 perspective landscape email.jpeg
Perspective
Camper1 perspective landscape email.jpeg (52.35 KiB) Viewed 1430 times
Camper1 3side landscape email.jpeg
Top, side, rear
Camper1 3side landscape email.jpeg (82.24 KiB) Viewed 1430 times
theatv
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Silverado cowboy

Postby tony.latham » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:23 pm

The red flag that caught my eye was OSB.

I don’t believe that stuff has any place in a camper. Any water intrusion will cause it to swell and it will never recover. Use an exterior grade plywood.

The stuff is great for its intended purpose buildings because of roof overhang and flashing and final sheathing.

OSB also doesn’t take well to gluing to other woods either.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Re: Silverado cowboy

Postby ghcoe » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:19 pm

Welcome aboard. :thumbsup:

Those weight ratings should be doable. My Bug Out trailer came in at 371lbs. The trailer alone was 253lbs. That means the foam box with canvas, glue, paint, wood, door and window came in at 118lbs.

George.
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Foamies