My Overlander Build. Well, woods build..

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: My Overlander Build. Well, woods build..

Postby twisted lines » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:27 pm

I know A Cowboy on the pro circuit with a flat bed that wants one; Must go on and off, build it and I think he would come :dead:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:32 am

DaddyJeep wrote:That looks real tight to the rear tires. Remember the travel isn't quite as linear with your truck as it might be on a trailer. when your axle articulates, one wheel up and the other down, that tire is going to tip in towards the frame. You might be fine but it wouldn't hurt to flex the suspension to it's limits to be sure. Something like this :)

I don't see myself 'ever' in that position!!! LOL
I hear ya and will open it up a bit more. I currently think the outside space is good, the inside space is tight mainly due to the shock mount. I can cure that with some cross framing. I'm very happy that the intrusion into the cabin is less than I thought it would be. Right now I figure it will only effect the sink base and not the frig or shower area. I was prepared to build a small cabinet under the frig if it did interfere.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:43 pm

Steel is here and I'm in process of remembering how to gas weld again. :? First couple looks like Stevie Wonder did them, next couple better, can't say its back but their penetrating.

Image. Image

I ended up with 1.5" x 3" x .125" base steel. Had a few items that required at 2.5" to clear. Everything else is planned as 1.5" x 1.5" with the uprights/upper cross members as .08" and the main upper rail as .125

I still have concern of flex over the cab and have what I believe as a solution if required. Weather is starting to cooperate a bit (and I'm working with flame) to be able to stay out there for a bit and get something done.

I still have hope that we can not only get this done (to a usable spot) for early season. Also still hopeful we haven't gone into a full shutdown and can travel state to state by then..

Stay safe! Stay well my friends!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:22 am

You Too RJ !!! ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:21 am

Rainy and cold today, so back to working out the floor.

Situation: In trying not to raise the camper any higher than possible I now have intrusions/components that are in the floor frame cavity. The bottom can not just be covered solid. This is not all of it just really one spot above the spare tire holder.

That picture was pre-rust treatment, looks a lot better now!

My thoughts right now are to insulate as I can and cover as I can underneath. The other thought is to cover the top with XPS and plywood and just spray treat the exposed underside. I can see pros' n con's to both..

Any thoughts or past experience's I should consider?
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:46 am

Steel is here and I'm in process of remembering how to gas weld again.

Ain't that the truth! Somebody once told me that any weld you don't have to grind is a good weld, and I think he was right.

:beer:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:26 pm

tony.latham wrote:
Steel is here and I'm in process of remembering how to gas weld again.

Ain't that the truth! Somebody once told me that any weld you don't have to grind is a good weld, and I think he was right.

Tony

You don't have to grind??? Oh you're funny!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:14 pm

So close today on finishing the frame.. ran out of acetylene.

Image.

Tomorrow I venture out and get some more. Getting much better at gas welding, then I try it upside down... :shock: And I thought the verticals were tough. :oops:

Weight so far is still under what I planned for. I'm looking at picking up a another length of steel and going a bit further than I first planned for the frame. :twisted:
Thoughts and pictures to come. :roll:
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:44 pm

Thinking I should take this out of the foamy section as it's becoming more of a hybrid. The the wall extension and the roof are probably the only remaining parts to be foam construction. Well even then some structural elements will come in to play...

Moderators, let me know if I should move this thread.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:16 am

RJ, aren’t most Foamies a “hybrid” …??? IMHO this is very interesting … :thumbsup: Don’t move ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Sun May 03, 2020 2:29 pm

We're back to a early summer and over the next few days spring again. Temps are rounding into the right spot to get some fiberglass work done. Spent the afternoon welding up a few of the last pieces. Hopefully tomorrow I pull the frame off the truck for the last time and get those hard-to-reach spots fiberglassed!

It's good to be back at this project! :thumbsup:
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Tue May 05, 2020 2:31 pm

As a member said, no pictures, no proof. LOL

Pulled the cage and welded up those underside spots and started the hard to reach for XPS/fiberglass. :twisted:

Tomorrow is yet another good day and I have one more spot before the cage goes back on the truck. Gotta love New England, snow on Wednesday (I'm certain nothing that stays longer than an hour).

I did make one of those hot-wire cutters for the foam. Oh, does that make a difference! Can't say it's perfect, but... I'm measuring pieces to a 1/16" :thumbsup: I have no idea why I didn't do this before... :roll:

Oh, I also picked up a Forney Flux Core Welder. I liked the price, it's 120v and it's welding up to 1/4" rather nicely! The gas for my A/O welding was getting way too expensive :shock: and this is working rather nice... now that I'm getting the hang of flux-core welding. Ugly as all get-up till you wire brush it! :thumbsup:
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Tue May 05, 2020 2:41 pm

Keep the pics coming, please.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed May 06, 2020 4:56 am

RJ, we picked up a HF Flux core MIG (Titanium 125) for our SAAB 96V4 restoration , and I really like how convenient it is …
Ps. I was making some s****y looking welds till my welder friend told me that’s the kind of welds they make :o … Once we “got" that , a flapper disc became the follow up tool … Worked Great !!! :thumbsup: Welding made easy !!! ( Thrifty too) My little unit already paid for itself a couple times over... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Wed May 06, 2020 6:05 am

GPW wrote:RJ, we picked up a HF Flux core MIG (Titanium 125) for our SAAB 96V4 restoration , and I really like how convenient it is …
Ps. I was making some s****y looking welds till my welder friend told me that’s the kind of welds they make :o … Once we “got" that , a flapper disc became the follow up tool … Worked Great !!! :thumbsup: Welding made easy !!! ( Thrifty too) My little unit already paid for itself a couple times over... :thumbsup:

My purchase price was more than your Titanium 125 (also believe you did a sale), but it's also a 140amp. I had concerns of being too little and set 140a as my minimal. I'm really liking it and that spool is lasting longer than I expected! :D

LOL.. a wire wheel does the trick too! I keep my wire brush handy for a quick check.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies