My Overlander Build. Well, woods build..

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: My Overlander Build. Well, woods build..

Postby RJ Howell » Mon May 18, 2020 7:03 am

Roof panel sections are prep'ed, sample side piece done and like and just started cutting ply for the side of the roof.

The thought being to sandwich 1" XPS with 1/4" ply on both sides. Two reasons for this: First stability, then blocking to fasten to. Outside I have latches to be mounted and hopes of some sort of fly (Keder Rail) to be mounted. Inside, very possibly the upper canvas attached and who really knows what else will get mounted, but I do see at least a couple of puck lights.

This will be a rain day, so don't see much happening today, either the truck is in the garage or I work in there.. just not enough room for both unless minor. Ya, I try very hard not to take over wifey's side..
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Thu May 21, 2020 3:03 pm

Finally, the roof!

Squaring up and getting the first couple pieces in play!

All pieces set in glue and drying!! WHOA!

I decided to do the 2ft sections in segments of angle. Hey, every little bit helps strengthen the roof. I'll do a dry fit tomorrow am before getting to deep into trimming and sanding it. Then fiberglass it!

Still can't get my additional steel to make up the back storage/entry area. I may end up making a temporary back wall/entry (without the storage) for now..
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Fri May 22, 2020 2:27 pm

Dry fit went very well!

Image. Image

Took it back off to trim and sand. Fiberglassing comes soon!

Also was able to get my additional steel tubing I was after so I started up on the back. This is a fit, looks good, but see an adjustment coming... I'll go into that as I get deeper into it. Back will be fill-in work as I put attention to the roof. The roof is even lighter than I expected and so far see no need for any power assistance to lift it. I believe just me and those H brackets will do the trick. :thumbsup:

I placed the foam in there to get a good look at the shape/lines. The camper was looking way too boxy and really like what it adds. I will add lower stow boxes down the road and that will really change the look. For right now I wish to hit a point of high & dry so it can be used.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sat May 23, 2020 4:42 am

:thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Thu May 28, 2020 6:39 am

More progress has happened and will post a few pic's soon. The exterior is coming along and have moved to the rear storage compartments as the roof is being fiberglassed. My gaskets for the roof are here and the latches come in a few days which should be about right for timing.

My thoughts are going interior and need to make a final decision of keeping food cold. The refrigerator! Always though of just doing a upright 3 way frig so I could run on propane (which I like). I see many folks are using these electric chest style units and now am wondering if that's how to go.
Is there a propane style chest refrigerator?

Could use some advise on this. Pro's / Con's on either please.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Thu May 28, 2020 3:03 pm

Working on the back storage!

Oh how the angles look...

Image. Image

The back storage is taking shape and confirming sizing a I go. Right (as you see it) is cooking. Left (as you see it) is cleanup or sink area.

Did get the gasketing done on the roof portion as well.

I did another coat of resin and allowed it to get tacky then applied the gasket. Seemed the best route... hoping it's the best route..

A bit of sanding and I figure the roof goes in place tomorrow.... :thinking: :twisted:
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Thu May 28, 2020 3:08 pm

The Striper's are coming into my area. Schoolies so far, yet the bigger are not that far behind... I really need to get this weather-tight soon.. :twisted:

I'm really wanting to get out there...
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Fri May 29, 2020 4:06 pm

Getting a better sense of the back as it closes in.

The top inside is getting a finish before it goes in place. This I'm back to PMF and some texture. Center prep done and all sanding. Tomorrow more fabric then finish/paint it!

I'll probably do a temp door as I work out the details of a final just to get it closed off. High & dry as I like to put it. Staring at the old bent extension ladder I hav always wanted to cut up and wondering how I could work that into the stairs.. :thinking:

Starting to adjust my mind to making the roof lift system. I like the H bracket design and coming close to testing it.. :roll: Have no idea how it will work out. Stay tuned, you'll know as I do...

Image. Image
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Sun May 31, 2020 3:46 pm

How many colors can I make this before I'm done... :?

Filler is all it is!

I case you don't catch it... The roof is in place! Latches came in!!!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:24 am

8) !!! Excuse me if I’ve missed it , but have you thought about a more rounded /angled entry on the front of the box over the roof … ???
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:06 am

GPW wrote:8) !!! Excuse me if I’ve missed it , but have you thought about a more rounded /angled entry on the front of the box over the roof … ???

Batted that thought around as well. Originally the stationary portion was to be inches shorter and the roof have those additional inches with a slant front. Then I saw that the commercial units make the roof portion as short as possible, cutting weight and structure I figure. Also added an additional issue with mounting/working of the lift bracket. I went forward thinking I could always add a cone of sorts to the front later, but really, as I looked at more of the commercial units, they don't.. they're flat nosed. Hmm.. Figured I was being overly concerned about it. Then I realized that what I'm building this to do, it will rarely see a highway.

For now, it's a 'flatnose' and will probably stay this way.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:12 pm

Long time coming, but one side painted! Other side and front tomorrow! I like the Camo look!

Image. Image
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby JazzVinyl » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:23 pm

I like it, RJ!!
JazzVinyl
Teardrop Master

Postby RJ Howell » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:50 am

JazzVinyl wrote:I like it, RJ!!

Thank you! It also hides a multitude of sins... LOL. 8)
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:14 am

I think the stripers are in trouble...

Looking good. :beer:

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies