My Overlander Build. Well, woods build..

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: My Overlander Build. Well, woods build..

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:33 pm

Terra6 wrote:Here's the link to the hard sided popup on a Toyota Tacoma, all aluminum. Nice design.
https://www.overlandkitted.com/four-whe ... uck-camper

Now that's interesting! There are two tell-all pictures on that. One shows how slim the top is and the other the position of the side window. They were smart not to show too much in the pictures, because a Maker like I could figure out what they did.
Sides fold into both the roof and compartment. Front/rear into compartment. Front/rear have to have offset hinges to get it lower than the sides. This gets it at taking up at least 3" of compartment space. It's the loft that the critical spot. From what I see, they're not far off of what I have for spacing in the loft. I think they have to pull they're bedding to make this work..

I just signed in with them and have a couple of questions for them.. Thank you for sharing this!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:01 pm

This video shows the mechanics (this particular one has gas strut assist though) that I was talking about, except in your case there could be less space between the handles and you have to be in front of them, because of that. But this kind of mechanism provides some force multiplication/leverage making the lifting easier. This H bracket can be made of wood sticks and thin plywood for bracing to reduce cost, weight, and time.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:51 am

OP827 wrote:This video shows the mechanics (this particular one has gas strut assist though) that I was talking about, except in your case there could be less space between the handles and you have to be in front of them, because of that. But this kind of mechanism provides some force multiplication/leverage making the lifting easier. This H bracket can be made of wood sticks and thin plywood for bracing to reduce cost, weight, and time.

I chase it back to the awning video and there it shows the X brace required to stop the E/W sway. It seems with everyone some sort of brace is required to compensate for the lift bracket sway. The struts & fabric assist as well. I initial intention was to do a tubular bracket, then as I checked a few commercial units I saw more and more do some variation of my plywood H bracket.

I will have my fabric set to height and the rain flap done today. Next is the screen and the window flaps and it can be installed. It will be interesting how it effects stability. :roll:

I did debate doing an X bracket instead of my angled brace. I just felt it wouldn't be as secure.. unless locked into place.

Love the input! :thumbsup:
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:26 am

Slam shut latches, trimmed and sealed! Now I can close off the bottom and not worry about rain getting in! Oh blue tape is holding the magnets in place till the glue dries.

Busy, busy... :twisted:
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:14 am

Slam shut latches...

Which ones, RJ?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:26 am

You shouldn't need X brace if you build your H bracket to provide lateral rigidity. The reason the commercial video has X brace is because their tubing lift does not really provide such bracing and they could also use X brace as part of lift assist mechanism.. Note that they have X brace in front and side. There are many ways to do this.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
OP827
Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:35 pm

tony.latham wrote:
Slam shut latches...

Which ones, RJ?

Tony

All three! Now that I put the bottoms on.. they're push shut. Rather pleased how well they sealed off!.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZHW3Y9?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_asin_title
Last edited by RJ Howell on Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:44 pm

OP827 wrote:You shouldn't need X brace if you build your H bracket to provide lateral rigidity. The reason the commercial video has X brace is because their tubing lift does not really provide such bracing and they could also use X brace as part of lift assist mechanism.. Note that they have X brace in front and side. There are many ways to do this.

Take another look at the video, actually need to chase it back to his awning video where you'll see the X brace on the front of his camper. The X is not a lateral brace. It functions as I have the angle brace.

I do like how he did his awning! I've been working through a few ideas of how to do mine off the rear. I'm still thinking not to the roof as he does it, off the top of the storage boxes (over the door). Still batting around ideas and still in the future.. much other to get done first.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:06 pm

RJ Howell wrote:....The X is not a lateral brace. It functions as I have the angle brace...

Yes, X brace functions the same as your angled brace. My point was that if you have H braces on the sides, instead of current angled brace then you do not need neither X brace nor angled brace.

OP827
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:20 pm

RJ Howell wrote:
Terra6 wrote:Here's the link to the hard sided popup on a Toyota Tacoma, all aluminum. Nice design.
https://www.overlandkitted.com/four-whe ... uck-camper

Now that's interesting! There are two tell-all pictures on that. One shows how slim the top is and the other the position of the side window. They were smart not to show too much in the pictures, because a Maker like I could figure out what they did.
Sides fold into both the roof and compartment. Front/rear into compartment. Front/rear have to have offset hinges to get it lower than the sides. This gets it at taking up at least 3" of compartment space. It's the loft that the critical spot. From what I see, they're not far off of what I have for spacing in the loft. I think they have to pull they're bedding to make this work..

I just signed in with them and have a couple of questions for them.. Thank you for sharing this!

BTW, this couple have started their camper building business and are now offering their new and different hard sided popup design, check THIS out!
I saw this same design concept built before shared on French forum.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:34 pm

Enough debating, back panel is made and dry fit!

Image. Image

It's off set to aline with the door as the lift bracket does. I re-built the lift bracket to be a few inches smaller than the door to get this look. Ya, me likes! :D

Side panel is cut out and screen tack gluing in place. I found this to be an easy way to hold the screen in place to get the overlap stitch on (God am I learning about sewing..). Flaps are stitched at the bottom and Velcro'ed along the sides and top. Also did a rain flap at the bottom that worked out better than planned (love it when that happens)! 8)

I'm ging to run out of velcro fairly soon, so more is now on order. Ya, a little slow on that move, but plenty to do in the meantime and hopefully just a few days to arrive. 2 spots to fiberglass, finish painting the roof and the out is about done for now! Screen panels is the present big task and about to get started inside... finally.. :twisted:
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:30 am

I've about finished up the panels (the sewing part of this). All panels ae now made and dry fitting is next to mark out the corners and seam them. Weather looks like it will cooperate today, so hoping to get this done! :twisted:

Found some pretty nice rims on MarketPlace and cleaning them up a bit, as I am also FG'ing the last section under the storage compartments to paint it. Getting real close to building out the inside!

Quick update is all. Pictures once the panels are in.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:54 pm

Ya'll get a video this time! The PopTop is on, finally!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqN-X-pNuNY
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:28 pm

That is too cool! Nice view to outside from a high point, clean and fine workmanship. :thumbsup:
OP827
Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:34 pm

OP827 wrote:That is too cool! Nice view to outside from a high point, clean and fine workmanship. :thumbsup:

Obviously, no close-ups of my sewing... :o Thank you!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies