5x8 Fishing Home Foamie

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

5x8 Fishing Home Foamie

Postby M85 » Tue May 05, 2020 9:14 am

Hi all. I've been reading through this forum for years, and have admired so many of the great builds, designers, and creators. I appreciate all the build sections, the traditional teardrops, cargo conversions, everything. I have also and have seen the Foamie concept and section originate and develop. I loved the conception phase, and the years of ongoing testing, refining and the dedication to finding and developing the best materials, and the best practices (as someone who developed software in various R&D teams). I was really drawn to the Foamie builds since they were lightweight and with surprisingly great strength.

At the time, I had a Honda Civic and wanted a very lightweight option. I ended up building a small wood trailer (years ago), which served it's purpose as a camper and utility trailer. I now have a Subaru Outback (for the past three years), and decided it is time to build a nice Foamie camper home. I quit the corporate job a few years ago, hundred hour weeks, living in a metro area, never used vacation and I noticed the past 2 1/2 decades of life slipped by in a blurry memory of nothingness. So long story short, I ditched my townhouse and a ton of stuff I accumulated, hit the road and turned and started living my dream of traveling and fly fishing.

OldTrailerThumb.png
Old Trailer w/ my old car
OldTrailerThumb.png (311.73 KiB) Viewed 1871 times

Originally I had sketched this up and was intending to build it on the ultra-light 5x8 Northern Tool aluminum trailer, but since most of my time is on the wind and ice blasted roads in Wyoming, and I know what it is like to tow a trailer diagonally down the road in a winter storm with a Honda Civic, I decided I needed the extra weighted base, particularly since I will be building this trailer with about a foot more height then the standard teardrop. I recently found a good deal on a used 5x8 Carry-On Trailer. The angle iron design does have negatives, particularly some of the frame flex, but I will be adding a little support (want to keep the weight down however), so mainly am planning on support from the floor and uni-body design of the foamie shell.

I originally was also intending to build a teardrop with the Camp-In 560 Raindrop style, and the u-shaped front end. Since this trailer will mostly be my home, I wanted the extra room and headroom, so I opted for a cargo type trailer, but keeping the u-shaped front. I know the u-shaped front won't help much with aerodynamics, but I like the look of it. I likely will ad top and rear foils to mitigate the wind drag on the square back end however.

SketchUpDesign.png
Original Sketchup Designs
SketchUpDesign.png (188.9 KiB) Viewed 1871 times

Thank you to all the builders, designers, and contributors. Note, I also have been following George's (ghoe) outstanding youtube series of the 4x8 bug out build, which has been immensely helpful and will particularly be a life saver when it comes to the canvas steps. I also thought the brilliant idea of using the spacers between the floor and the trailer to prevent water from being trapped between the floor and steel, particularly the critical edges. Also GPW's brilliant idea of using drip edges. I will be incorporating these and other well thought out best practices that came from this forum!

I'm late to posting, so I'll catch up with some following posts, but here is a pic of the 5x8 trailer I bought a couple weeks ago ->
Original-5x8.jpg
Carry On 5x8
Original-5x8.jpg (448.5 KiB) Viewed 1871 times
"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
M85
Teardrop Inspector

Re: 5x8 Fishing Home Foamie

Postby M85 » Tue May 05, 2020 9:40 am

Since I'm behind in posting, I have a few pics to catch up on the progress.

I removed the tailgate ramp, ground off the hinges, removed the steel mesh floor, and started on the rust prevention work underneath the frame.
2b37c034c660b0a213de3dc8162094db6dd0b837-1.jpg
Rust prevention work underneath the trailer frame
2b37c034c660b0a213de3dc8162094db6dd0b837-1.jpg (383.15 KiB) Viewed 1866 times

I have since cut the OSB boards, painted the underside w/ Henry 587 Dura-Brite White, Elastic Roof Coating. Kerfed a couple some 1" foam panels for the 30" radius front, and started to fit some of the panels. I have also started the build of one of the doors. I'm going to be putting in a simple pop-up roof, and have started the frame structure. Also have ground off the front rail and part of the side rails of the trailer.

FittingFoamPieces.jpg
Fitting the foam boards and popup frame
FittingFoamPieces.jpg (312.15 KiB) Viewed 1866 times

My dear friend also recommended that I document the process with a video series, I thought her idea was outstanding, so here are the three vids so far. 1st one is just a preview of the old trailer, and the next two are simple overviews.

Preview (Old Trailer)

Part 1

Part 2
"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
M85
Teardrop Inspector

Postby linuxmanxxx » Tue May 05, 2020 9:58 am

With the trailer you have with the single bar tongue, make sure you anchor your floor real good on the first cross bar that's not the outside the tongue is welded to. The other angle stuff is ok but this is the weak bending point unless you use the strength of your camper to keep that from happening. Other than that point you should have no problems. Is that 12 or 13 wheels?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby ghcoe » Tue May 05, 2020 6:50 pm

I am sure you know, but in case you don't, the wood will telegraph through the canvas. Looking good! :thumbsup:
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby JazzVinyl » Tue May 05, 2020 9:04 pm

Looking forward to watchin' 'er come along!
JazzVinyl
Teardrop Master

Postby Pmullen503 » Wed May 06, 2020 5:37 am

ghcoe wrote:I am sure you know, but in case you don't, the wood will telegraph through the canvas. Looking good! :thumbsup:

+1 after some time the joint between wood and foam will become visible through the canvas in the right light. My guess is different rates of thermal expansion. No sign of structural issues after five years but it's something to be aware of.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ghcoe » Wed May 06, 2020 7:53 am

Pmullen503 wrote:
ghcoe wrote:I am sure you know, but in case you don't, the wood will telegraph through the canvas. Looking good! :thumbsup:

+1 after some time the joint between wood and foam will become visible through the canvas in the right light. My guess is different rates of thermal expansion. No sign of structural issues after five years but it's something to be aware of.

Even the foam joints will show up under certain conditions that I can explain easily. I found that by cutting the canvas with a 2" overlap that it disguises this issue.
George.

ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Pmullen503 » Wed May 06, 2020 8:56 am

The right paint job will make the joints less noticeable as well.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby M85 » Thu May 21, 2020 9:25 pm

Hey all, sorry I've been negligent with postings and updates. I was stuck on two big projects for my family and a friend, but back on the project I've been wanting to do.

linuxmanxxx wrote:With the trailer you have with the single bar tongue, make sure you anchor your floor real good on the first cross bar that's not the outside the tongue is welded to. The other angle stuff is ok but this is the weak bending point unless you use the strength of your camper to keep that from happening. Other than that point you should have no problems. Is that 12 or 13 wheels?

Thanks linux, will do on ensuring the floor is bolted strongly to all the cross members, particularly behind the tongue. I also have extended the tongue inwards to the next cross member just to be safe. Unfortunately the wheels are 12s, but I intend to upgrade later this summer when more funds are available (and before I take an extended fall road trip).

Thanks George, oh yeah I do remember that now heh. Well, that's all right if it telegraphs a bit, even on the outside.

JazzVinyl wrote:Looking forward to watchin' 'er come along!

Thanks Jazz, I watched your build process and you were extremely detail oriented and it shows with an outstanding build! I do really like the design of your's and I'm actually going to have a bit of a roof overhang just like your's. I had intended to do so, one to perhaps drop some of the wind drag from the flat back end, and also to have a short rain shield for the back door. btw, I thought your idea with the shelves and adding screen on the underside to firm up the shelves was brilliant. Did you use metal screen or the soft nylon?

Pmullen503 wrote:The right paint job will make the joints less noticeable as well.

Good point, I will be having a little canvas overlap with the foam joints between the roof and sidewalls. I may do some type of trim line with the paint.
M85
Teardrop Inspector

Postby M85 » Thu May 21, 2020 9:34 pm

Had not spent a lot of time lately with this project, but back on it.

I did extend the back of the trailer frame by 12" and added a hinged tailgate to the back. Primarily to prevent a high bumper from pushing the back of the camper in with a low-speed traffic light bump, but certainly won't protect very much over 1/2 mph or so. I also wanted the tail gate however, for changing fishing waders, leaving muddy shoes on the grate overnight, place to put tools, place to put a stove etc.

Short vid showing the progress and demoing the tailgate.
Attachments
f4924fa9ece84e954a15bd998a567c67a1ca4bdd-1.jpg
Added rear tail gate that swings up and latches.
f4924fa9ece84e954a15bd998a567c67a1ca4bdd-1.jpg (215.33 KiB) Viewed 1627 times
841e8539e4624bc4d50d0710e7f2ac75c1cfcb6c-1.jpg
Have been adding some of the sides and the front panels.
841e8539e4624bc4d50d0710e7f2ac75c1cfcb6c-1.jpg (338.61 KiB) Viewed 1627 times
M85
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ghcoe » Thu May 21, 2020 9:46 pm

Good job on the Kurfing. Looking good! George. :thumbsup:
George.

ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Foamies