Folding Foamie Camper a la Casita or Esterel in the Works

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Folding Foamie Camper a la Casita or Esterel in the Work

Postby TinkerTailor » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:30 pm

Oleg: For now my plan for the interior is to leave the floorplan pretty sparse, use it a few times, and then see what I think I really need. I'm going to have a bucket toilet or some such to begin with, and plan to get one of those portable propane water heaters with a shower spigot built in in for bathing, but not have anything permanently installed. I will likely have a trifold sofa/bed along the back side, a small removable table, and a countertop along the front wall which will serve as the kitchen area. I will also have a wood burning stove for heat. To the extent possible (and it is a smaller space I'm working with) I want an open space along these lines (though again, smaller).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CMZ4KdBAc4

I also want to keep weight down and not have to dismantle too much if I do remove the pod and tip it on it's side for storage.

Hossesdad: Thanks for the tip. I picked up a little welding machine on sale, so I'm going to learn, but I'll keep that option in mind too.

Terra6: That sounds awesome, but out of my league! I'm leaning more and more toward leaving it all put together as much as possible, but we'll see.
TinkerTailor
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:22 am

“ and then see what I think I really need. “ … TT, that’s really IMPORTANT !!! :thumbsup: Keeps you from spending coin where you don’t need it … ;)

Ps. Welding is Fun , just takes a little practice … and it really helps if you initially have someone there to show you how …
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby TinkerTailor » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:37 am

Forgot to mention that I plan to use muscle power for the roof raising, as in the original vintage plans. As for the spacing/fit of the roof, Oleg, I'm planning to finish the walls first and then doing a final design for the roof. I think I will likely make a foam filler piece to put in the gap you mentioned when the trailer is folded down.
TinkerTailor
Teardrop Master

Postby TinkerTailor » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:03 am

GPW: Turns out I have a few friends with some experience, so I should be able to get some in-person guidance!
TinkerTailor
Teardrop Master

Postby OP827 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:02 pm

+1 on trying things out and see what you really need. Good plan :thumbsup:
OP827
Donating Member

Postby TinkerTailor » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:05 pm

So, no new pics for the moment, but I have cut the window opening and framed it in with 1X material on the side wall with the door, and I've marked the window openings on the other side, though I haven't cut or framed that side yet.

As I get close to the skinning stage for the upper walls I'm considering using 1/8 inch ply treated with penetrating epoxy sealer and then either paint or spar varnish on the exterior, though I'll stick to PMF on the inside. I'll tape joints and seams with epoxy & FG tape. If/when the camper is stored outside, it will be covered.

My reasons are the following:

1. I'm way better at woodworking than PMF, so the process will be quicker and more painless for me, which is important right now.
2. Some of my camping will be in bear country (Tahoe in the winter). They say some bears stay somewhat active all winter in Tahoe, and our main strategy will of course be being careful with food, etc., but I still like the idea of a bit more firmness on the outer wall, even though I know bears are capable of tearing into cars, etc.

I still plan to have the roof assembly be covered in PMF for lightness, etc.

That's the update for now, if anyone cares to chime in on it.
TinkerTailor
Teardrop Master

Postby Aussie leslie » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:27 pm

TinkerTailor wrote:Hello all -

New member here. I have read a fair amount on the foamie forums - thanks for your experimentation, expertise, and generous and inspirational posting!

I have an (unassembled) HF folding trailer in my garage (the 1200 lb. version), and I'm plotting a folding hybrid foamie a la casita folding caravan, etc.

I aim to follow these vintage plans

http://tnttt.com/VintagePlans/foldingtrailer.pdf

in terms of the mechanism by which the structure folds and opens, including the 45 degree chamfers in the wall joints to prevent water intrusion, though my dimensions and outline will be quite different (I have drawings but need to sort out how to post them - the outline, however, will be similar to this: https://homedesignlover.com/architectur ... me-office/).
My plan is for the camper's external dimensions to be 11' long by 6'4" wide by 7' high when open and a bit less than 4' high when folded for traveling. It will be mounted on the aforementioned harbor freight 4 X 8 trailer when in use, and will be removed from the trailer and placed on its side for storage (inside my small garage). The trailer will also be folded up for storage when not in use.

I am planning on using primarily 2" foam, though perhaps 1" on the front and back walls to cut down on the height of the folded wall/hinge assembly. I want thick foam, though, as I will be using it for winter camping at ski areas around Lake Tahoe, as well as for general family camping and surf trips.

I plan on using a relatively light wood framing around the edges for the panels (for strength since there is no monocoque and also for the hinges) and I am leaning towards pmf inside and out, though I am still considering skinning the exterior with 1/8 plywood as well. If I do skin the outside with ply I will use pmf for the interior. I plan to make a sandwich panel for the floor with nrp panels on the bottom, 2" foam in the middle, and 1/4" ply on top, possibly with vinyl flooring over that.

Fixed plexiglass windows rabbeted and glued into the foam on the front and back walls, and openable plexi windows on the sides, either in the wiley or sash style. Standard vent up top. All-in-one diesel heater, propane stove, & a smallish electrical set up with a solar panel is the plan (these would need to be easily removed before turning the folded camper on its side for storage, with the exception of the solar panel itself). Bucket toilet and possibly a marine foot pump sink like the one seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2604Le2k0A.

I have been making surfboards out of XPS foam and skinning them with poplar bender ply and cork flooring for a number of years, so I have some experience with similar materials, and I'm finishing a small XPS and pmf boat to get some familiarity with that process as well. The pmf application on the interior of the boat has not gone altogether well, but thankfully there won't be any compound curves in the camper, and only the internal radius in the roof in front and back will be visible.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or critiques would be most appreciated. I'm hoping to build this over the summer. Thanks much -

TinkerTailor

What about the bears your going to be cooking inside they will it and come looking for better buy an Electric fence to keep them out LOL
Aussie leslie
Teardrop Builder

Postby IrrationalExhuberous » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:14 pm

TinkerTailor wrote:So, no new pics for the moment, but I have cut the window opening and framed it in with 1X material on the side wall with the door, and I've marked the window openings on the other side, though I haven't cut or framed that side yet.

Eagerly awaiting more photos / updates on this one as it's the most ambitious foamie folder I've found that could inspire/disrupt my plans for a monocoque ski pod.

Are you building your own 2 piece door?
IrrationalExhuberous
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TinkerTailor » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:26 am

Thanks for your interest! I will be doing my own two piece door once the walls and roof are done.

I'm ready to rout hinge mortises on the bottom of the walls and then pmf the interior surface before putting 1/8 ply on the exterior. Snow is starting to fall. Got to get a move on, but life is busy.

TinkerTailor
Teardrop Master

Postby TinkerTailor » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:51 pm

Mortises are routed...
TinkerTailor
Teardrop Master

Postby TinkerTailor » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:36 am

Insides of wall are covered in PMF. I've decided to go with PMF on the outside as well (instead of ply), since applying the PMF to these flat panels is going much more smoothly for me. Hopefully I'll get some pics up soon.
TinkerTailor
Teardrop Master

Postby JazzVinyl » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:21 pm

TinkerTailor wrote:Insides of wall are covered in PMF. I've decided to go with PMF on the outside as well (instead of ply), since applying the PMF to these flat panels is going much more smoothly for me. Hopefully I'll get some pics up soon.

Looks like your doing excellent work, TT...!
JazzVinyl
Teardrop Master

Postby TinkerTailor » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:27 pm

Thanks JazzVinyl! (Love the name, by the way.)

Don't have any very exciting photos, but I have finished the majority of the pmf on the walls, which is exciting. I just have to clean up some of the sides and fold/glue the canvas in over the sills on the window openings. I'm planning to paint them prior to attaching them to the base, so it's time to pick some colors. Then on to the roof, windows and doors.

TinkerTailor
Teardrop Master

Postby OP827 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:55 pm

:thumbsup: Good to see you are making progress!
OP827
Donating Member

Postby TinkerTailor » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:58 pm

Thanks Oleg!

Happy New Year all. Poking along as best I can. Openings for the windows & door on the upper walls are pretty much done, and one coat of primer applied. Going to put a 2nd coat on tomorrow and then on to final paint before I attach the walls to the base with hinges and get the sash locks which will hold the walls together in the corners installed. Then on to the roof, tongue extension, and installation of the cabin on the trailer. And I have to get in to the DMV first to get the trailer registered, which is a drag.

My photos have been boring and repetitive for a long while. Hopefully soon I'll turn a corner and have something more interesting (and more room in my garage again)!

TinkerTailor
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies