Alternative to canvas …. a thought

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Alternative to canvas …. a thought

Postby Terra6 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:08 am

Thx GPW for keeping the spirit of innovation going.
:thumbsup: :beautiful:
:shake hands:

So that we can all
:vroom: :Flippin Burger: :picnic: :campfire: :yes:
On the road to Shambala...
Terra6
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:36 am

Speaking of innovations , with our current situation here (Hurricane Sally ) , I need to think about Waterproof, or a Foamie Boat … :o :rainy:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:30 am

...with our current situation here (Hurricane Sally )...

Glen:

Everytime I see the H word in the news, I think about you. Hang in! (Or better yet, move north.) :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:36 am

Thanks , but it looks like it just grazed us this time …. :o But it looks like the Gulf Coast east of us is catching it … :frightened: We’ll have to pray a little extra for those folks … We’ve been doing a lot of extra praying for people this year … :worship: 2020 , this is going to be a year we try to forget , or remember how we got in this mess and try to avoid it in the future … :NC

Everyone Please stay safe and well !!! :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:53 am

As it happens I tend to be up puttering around in the wee hours more often than not but I just observed that each of GPW's contributions in this thread have occurred between 3am and 6am. :shock:

It is often said that those in glass houses ought not throw stones, but here I stand... :oops:

I just pray that it isn't because he is wringing his hands and peering out the window at Sally and her pals coming in hot from the Gulf. :frightened:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:08 am

RJ, Naa !!! Just that we old people are more wakeful . Early to bed , early to rise … all that !  Quiet in the wee hours makes for better focus on the relevant conundrum … Coffee too !!! :thumbsup:

Note , there WAS considerable thinking about the ensuing storm ( s ) Busy season , and though we were all ready and prepared , we didn’t need to EVAC , so the old FoamStream gets unused … so far … :NC
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Aussie leslie » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:53 am

Hi has anyone tried using fibreglass flywire glued on with wood glue on Xps foam ?
Aussie leslie
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:00 am

Les, what’s that ??? Like window screen ??? Does it keep the Drop Bears out ??? :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Aussie leslie » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:21 am

Yes fibreglass flywire that you put on your windows what's a drop bear don't have in Aussie land .
Aussie leslie
Teardrop Builder

Postby rjgimp » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:49 pm

From wiki...

"The drop bear (sometimes dropbear), assigned the fictional scientific name Thylarctos plummetus, is a hoax in contemporary Australian folklore featuring a predatory, carnivorous version of the koala (Phascolarctos cinereus). This imaginary animal is commonly spoken about in tall tales designed to scare tourists. While koalas are typically docile herbivores (and are not bears), drop bears are described as unusually large and vicious marsupials that inhabit treetops and attack unsuspecting people (or other prey) that walk beneath them by dropping onto their heads from above."

Here is an artist's rendering. The "img" inserter won't work for me today for some reason so a live link will have to do.
https://natgeo.imgix.net/factsheets/thumbnails/Dropbear-wiki.jpg?auto=compress,format&w=1024&h=560&fit=crop

EDIT: That link seems not to work today but now the 'img' thingy does, so here's a scary image of a drop bear. :frightened:

Last edited by rjgimp on Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby dogcatcher » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:25 pm

Fiberglass screen has been used with "latex concrete" for roof structures. http://velacreations.blogspot.com/2009/ ... -roof.html

I think adding a layer of fiberglass screen could add strength, maybe even drop to a thinner cloth, as in bed sheet thickness On it's own, I think the texture would be awful.

But overall, more work with not enough benefit. If you want "rough" texture, use burlap, it makes for a rustic crude look.
dogcatcher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Aussie leslie » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:43 pm

Thanks everyone regarding the fibreglass flywire tried glueing some on this morning to see how it goes , have tried putting exterior 4 seasons British paints on first then laying the canvas over it then put more paint on top . On one side the canvas come off very easily when I pulled on it , the other side I had to use all my strength to pull it off ; so am trying to figure out why one Sid stuck on better than the other . Has anybody got any ideas as why that happens ?
Aussie leslie
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:57 am

Did you clean the foam before you applied the paint/canvas ??? We wipe ours down with rubbing alcohol first to remove any mold release , hand oils , etc… Might try that eh ? :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Aussie leslie » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:26 am

No I didn't use alcohol I just use sand paper and tried to ruff it up a bit .
PS The finerglass flywire is looking good now put 2 layers of it down let it dry and have put another coat of paint on and it's looking great .
PS. Geees that drop bear looks scary LOL
Aussie leslie
Teardrop Builder

Postby Aussie leslie » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:17 pm

GPW wrote:We’ve been watching the RC forum for years now and them going on about Newspaper covering for their foam planes , painted with polyurethane … Canvas or paper , it’s all Cellulose fibers , and if you have a ready source of newspapers , Your covering material costs nothing , leaves no seams , and newspaper ( any paper ) sticks to foam like crazy … Thinned TB2 or polyurethane could be used to adhere it and it could be built up extra thick in stressed areas … And you can sand it smooth … :o
For those that need added strength ( ? ) , you could incorporate thin fiberglass like the kind used for sheetrock …
Repairs , should be pretty easy , add new paper , sand it smooth and paint … :thinking: Paper mache done this way dries to a pretty hard surface …

Just an idea … I’m always thinking of the THRIFTY aspect of trailer building … especially these days … :R

What about using Innegra fabric super light and tuff as ?
Aussie leslie
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies