Parachute nylon on foamies

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Parachute nylon on foamies

Postby Aussie leslie » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:32 pm

Okay what about Parachute nylon on Xps foamies glued on with wood glue and two coats of exterior paint has anyone tried Parachute nylon ?
Aussie leslie
Teardrop Builder

Re: Parachute nylon on foamies

Postby linuxmanxxx » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:41 pm

No but I don't think a synthetic like nylon can absorb wood glue. You'd need something a lot stickier and foam safe. I've been looking at E6000 glue which is sticky but thick and can get in caulking tube size. I need to look at the ingredients and see what it might can be thinned with that won't zap foam. I haven't tested it directly on foam yet but I think it'll work. It's popularity started in the jewelry making world and now you can find it everywhere. It smells but it sticks and remains extremely flexible.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby Aussie leslie » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:08 pm

I have been using PVA wood glue Om Xps foam and tried glueing shade cloth on with it and that work real good , only trouble with shade cloth is takes too much paint to cover it and get a smooth finish
Aussie leslie
Teardrop Builder

Postby John61CT » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:49 pm

Why would a smooth finish be needed?
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Aussie leslie » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:01 am

A smooth finish is easier to keep clean doesn't fill up with dirt and dust and mud .
PS and if you have to put on 3 or 4 coats of exterior paint you gain to much as I am trying to build super ultraLite Teardrop as I am driving Diahatsu terios. 1.3 liter motor so got to go light as I can
Aussie leslie
Teardrop Builder

Postby GTS225 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:37 am

That'll be a short-lived covering. Parachute nylon isn't UV resistant much at all, and will break down rather quickly under the beating the sun can give it. You would have to store it inside to get any longevity from it, even with UV resistant coatings.
Now, you could look into some of the exterior fabrics that are use in the home built airplane community. Those are geared toward exactly the needs that a very lightweight teardrop would also have.
Look at "Aircraft Spruce and Specialty", for starters. You might even have a different supplier on your continent. (assuming Australia.)

Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Return to Foamies