Canvas PMF

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Canvas PMF

Postby Postal_Dave » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:01 pm

I like to do "Pull Tests" to see what holds the canvas to the foam the best. The test is simple. Prep your foam, then glue a 6 inch by 12 inch strip of canvas to it in whatever way you want to try (Leave about two inches off the edge to grab the canvas by.), wait for the glue to dry, then pull off the canvas. The one that pulls off the most Pink Foam is the winner. I'd rather have the foam be the weakest link in this scenario than then glue.

I've done several "Pull Tests" with TBII at different strengths. Using a 50/50 mix, I found that almost no foam is pulled off with the canvas when I test it. That does Not mean that it didn't stick the canvas to the foam. As a mater of fact, the canvas held to the foam very well and it took some strength on my part to separate the two. As many people here will testify, it will last forever this way. Because the canvas is held on in such a big area (As in the entire side of a camper) this is plenty of adhesion for our purposes. The wind, even at highway speeds, doesn't pull on the canvas as hard as I do during my tests.

The problem is that the people of this forum were used to Glidden Gripper. This was a wonder product that was readily available and had proven itself. Everyone here is looking for a replacement for that. However, it really isn't necessary to have that much adhesion power for our purposes.

I still suggest gluing the canvas to the foam with full strength TBII. Then after it dries, fill the weave with 75/25 or 50/50 TBII. This will help preserve the canvas. Then be sure to paint it with a Quality latex primer, then paint it.
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Postal_Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby dogcatcher » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:45 pm

GPW wrote:We’ve used thinned TB2 for years and years with no problems , We’ve even used oops paint to secure the canvas , that works too … :thumbsup:

Gotta’ remember , it’s the SOCK effect that holds everything together … Eight years and still going strong !!! ;)

Did you mix TBII with the oops paint? Curious about this, was it latex paint? I read an article about mixing latex paint with concrete, making an odd/different construction technique.
https://www.academia.edu/22223899/Latex ... rom_now_on
https://www.instructables.com/Latex-Concrete-Roof/
dogcatcher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ghcoe » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:24 pm

I guess I should comment that I do use a bonding primer on the foam before I apply the TBII and canvas. Could make a difference in outcome. Bonding primber seems to bond better to foam and TBII bonds well with primer.
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:23 am

If library paste was waterproof , that probably would work too… :thinking:

I can’t recall anybody who built a Foamie that had adhesion problems ( canvas ripping off at 85mph … :o ) Just saying … The good folks here have tried most everything and succeeded … :thumbsup:

And No we don’t mix paint and glue … At least not yet …
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:21 am

GPW wrote:.....
I can’t recall anybody who built a Foamie that had adhesion problems ( canvas ripping off at 85mph … :o ) Just saying … The good folks here have tried most everything and succeeded … :thumbsup:

And No we don’t mix paint and glue … At least not yet …

One of the best things about PMF is that's is easy to do and hard to screw up. Relax! You will be successful on your first try.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:03 am

Sounds like you're deep ....

Yusu: One post and you are advertising an off-topic product.

Bye-bye. :thumbdown: Get a life.
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby PaulC » Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:46 pm

tony.latham wrote:
Sounds like you're deep ....

Yusu: One post and you are advertising an off-topic product.

Bye-bye. :thumbdown: Get a life.

All fixed Tony.
Cheers
PaulC :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby tony.latham » Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:38 pm

PaulC :thumbsup:

Thanks, Paul!

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Foamies