Bonding Primer

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Bonding Primer

Postby Shirestone » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:50 am

I am ready to start putting my canvas onto the XPS pink foam.
I have read in other posts that bonding primer is recommended before putting the canvas and tb2(50/50 with water) down first.
Looking for some advice on the best and most successful bonding primers. Glidden Gripper is not an option where i am.
Thanks.
I'm not an Engineer...I just play one on TV.
Shirestone
Teardrop Builder

Re: Bonding Primer

Postby QueticoBill » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:00 pm

I have found Mad Dog primers to be very tenacious. https://www.granitepaint.com/default.asp

Try their DuraLast.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:59 am

Some like a primer , some don’t … For years we applied the canvas to the foam with TB2 … DIRECT to the foam … No problems … :thumbsup:

Gotta’ remember , nothing really sticks that well to foam as the foam surface always gives away ( fails ) first … The primers were originally used as a top coat over the glued and "sized “ to help fill in the weave and seams somewhat and make a smoother finish , before final painting … Primer is Not really needed to stick the foam to the canvas !!! :o

Having said that , if you’re using EPS ( beaded foam) it “Might” be beneficial to give the beads a coat of primer to help consolidate the gluing surface :thinking: … We never did , but you might want to do that … XPS foam only really needs a good wiping down with alcohol to remove any oils left from manufacturing and “handling” before applying the canvas …

It’s the tight “Sock” effect that holds everything together … ;) The “Glue” just keeps your socks from falling down … :lol:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:25 am

Nothing like a good sample board test. I'm on the Bonding primer side of things only because how 'I' sampled product and what worked best for me. I also work with 'quality' bonding primer, not the Big Box Store brands..

Also a fan of better canvas/cloth than HF's..
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:18 am

The primer I mentioned sticks to almost everything, and good for vinyl siding.

I second doing test samples. And my notes are based on working with the primer NOT on foamies. Just a good product line.

They have a version for crack filling that might be good over the canvas.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Return to Foamies