Anybody seen this ... ?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Anybody seen this ... ?

Postby GPW » Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:47 pm

There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Re: Anybody seen this ... ?

Postby featherliteCT1 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:50 pm

Not until you posted this link ... I am now subscribed ... thank you for posting the link! :thumbsup:
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:10 pm

OMG.. I should have posted him way back. I followed for quite some time as I was experimenting with XPS. He goes to extremes that I only thought possible back then.

I'm not a fan of the screen vs. actual FG cloth and resin will always out perform primer. Just MHO. So if doing, why not take the extra step of the good stuff! I'm experimenting with resin mixes on my build and find a resin/corn starch mix ones out very hard and sturdy. I'm about to build a cabinet doing this without and cloth/mesh/screen.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Pmullen503 » Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:22 pm

In the video, he seems to be making inside furniture, not the shell of a camper. He doesn't show it but mentions foam, screen, and nylon so I wonder if he's putting a light fabric over the screen to get a better finish.

No doubt that screen adds the tensile strength needed for foam. I just don't see it as superior to canvas.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:49 am

He did have some interesting ideas ... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:11 am

Using veneer to cover curved panels is a good one. Should be durable enough for the ceiling in a foamy.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:33 pm

The whole system he does is a SIP, in my mind. Just doing it differently.

I have my pantry built out of XPS and testing some finishes on it. I'd like to build my overhead cabinets this way as to not put additional un-necessary weight that high in the camper. My issue has always been the span (or un-supported bottom)! Building up for the floor (or a base) is a non-issue to me, yet once you span an opening, whole new game.

Draw slides, as he shows, can be a issue as well. XPS is a soft interior and I just don't see any plug holding up. That said, cladding a 1/4" (something) on the XPS and screwing into that makes sense. More surface adhesion for the cleat and solid point for the screw. I really think that's where I'll land on this. I do have a couple tests in place.

Interested in any thoughts on either mentioned. I'm in process now...
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Pmullen503 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:19 pm

RJ Howell wrote:.....
Draw slides, as he shows, can be a issue as well. XPS is a soft interior and I just don't see any plug holding up. That said, cladding a 1/4" (something) on the XPS and screwing into that makes sense. More surface adhesion for the cleat and solid point for the screw. I really think that's where I'll land on this. I do have a couple tests in place.

That is the key concept when attaching any load bearing thing (doors, hatches, cabinetry) to foam. Spreading out the load or carrying the load to something solid. That can mean covering the surface with a more robust material (like plywood) or inlaying something like solid wood to carry the load down to the frame (I did that with my roof racks).

I have used "plugs" when I needed to add something that I had not planned for, but used many more than I would have used if I had a more solid wall.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:43 pm

I've laser cut a draw out of 1/2" XPS I have around. I'm running another now that puts the bottom, on the bottom instead of up a tad. Finger joints on sides and base and working with placing 1/8" hardboard as the bottom. I add 1.5" FG strips to the side of the cabinet where the slides will mount and will put the same on the draw.

I like what I'm seeing and am hoping for the best! Foamie cabinet, with foamie (mostly) draws, running on slides!

Working out details on the overhead cabinet...
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rjgimp » Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:17 am

I have been subscribed to NØMAD for over a year now. He is quite an interesting character.
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Return to Foamies