iron work for camping what have you made

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

iron work for camping what have you made

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:18 pm

There are those who know how to weld, smelt, cast and such. The blacksmiths of the camping world what have you made to take camping.

Dutch oven rack, hat rack, hook, table, extension for your trailer, something you stick in the ground, dutch oven hooks or over the fire holder or lid opener, home made waffle maker, fire wood holder, lantern hanger, tools, decoration for the side of the trailer, ladder, ramp, grill top, knives, curtain or canopy rod, cart , stover, flag holder.

We would love to see what you have made fancy fun to it ain't pretty but it's useful.

Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Re: iron work for camping what have you made

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:03 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1wTzqVHUQU
many are using ammo box for a stove this one is thought out.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:40 am

Well it's mostly metal but not iron :oops:

Oh but I do have my camp crane a buddy welded up for me. It breaks down into a little bag.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby ae6black » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:22 pm

In the Welding Book for Dummies, there is a plan for a fire ring grate and DO stand that I've been very tempted to try welding up. May not be blacksmithing persay but definately something I would consider if I camped more or had more time in the garage.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby Redneck Packrat » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:56 am

I've got a lot of ideas rolling around in my head that I've contracted out to my buddy Ben. Most of y'all know him.... Ben Gunna.

Ben Gunna make me a DO tripod, Ben Gunna make me a firepit with a crane, Ben Gunna make me a LOT of things....someday....

Soon as I get this foamie built, I'll get on his ass about it :twisted: :lol:
Bill
Texas Gulf coast, near Corpus

Working on this, started 5/2017: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=68614

Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield :?
Redneck Packrat
Teardrop Master

Postby cheaterparts » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:10 am

Going back 15 or 20 years ago the wife and myself checking out a local caravan - camping show in Melbourne Aust there was a guy selling small basic spits that run on heat beads.
This was the time we were doing a fair amount of Car Racing and finding time to cook something between races alway seamed to be a pain ( there is always something to do to the car between runs )
and the beads being an open fire in the pits would more than likely frowned on.
Gas barbies were ok ( go figure ) any way this is what I made up as the mark one version that is still in use today now for camp trips as the racing car has retired

I started with a piece of 2.1 mm floor plate that was under my folder just the right size about 2 foot long
a couple of folds and some welded in end plates that was the bottom tray made
then with some 20 x 20 x 1.6 square tube made a couple of end "A" frames that side on using some short pieces of 1 " angle
the tops had grooves for the spit shaft and a mounting for a battery powered spit motor

then a few more panels folded up that slip together
and a home made burner
all was good

I also made up a clip on rail so a baking dish sat up in there - it work real well to

I remember the first time we used it - it was a sprint meeting at Sale ( RAAF ) Air Base
while my mates were chowing down on sausages in bread we were having spit roast chicken with roast Potato , pumpkin and onion with peas and carrots from a can that was punctured and sat in the bottom of the spit to heat

this unit has seen many roasts in its time and the burner has been replaced once after the first one rusted out

I didn't bother taking pics of the motor or stainless spit shaft you guys have seen them all before

the unit is 61 cm ( 2 foot ) long and 50 cm high and the temp gauge is a later add on

the rear good thing with this unit is if folds down and takes up little room and assembles quickly

all the panels just slip together and hook up a propane bottle and the spit is ready to go - the motor is just a small battery powered unit and I made the spit shaft from some 12 mm stainless shaft and of cause made up stainless fitting to suit
cheaterparts
Teardrop Inspector

Return to User Polls