Best width for a trailer camper?

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

4 foot
11%
5 foot
66%
6 foot
14%
More than 6 foot
9%

Total votes : 35

Postby Magambi » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:05 pm

All,
The poll named 'If you were to build it all over again ...' (http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=550) shows >20% voted that they'd like a wider trailer if doing it all over again. That's the highest picked answer (except for Other).

I'd like some opinions on "How wide?". I'm particularly debating 5 foot vs 6 foot. Here's my thoughts: Five foot trailer look "right" and seems wide enough, but six foot gives a little more space for my 6'6" ogre body. OTOH, a 6 foot wide camper would mean a total trailer width (~8 ft) wider than my SUV. And the 6 footers look "fat" to me.

What are your thoughts?

Magambi
Magambi
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Best width for a trailer camper?

Postby EZ » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:35 pm

I voted 6 feet (was it a secret ballot ? :o but I am actually going a bit above that since I am building a 6+ X 8 standy (slouchy) on a 5 foot wide trailer with a bed/dinette across the back. So that was not a vote for a teardrop size, that would still probably be be 5+
EZ
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:33 pm

In 2004 I bought a 4-wide. We loved it. In 2013 I bumped into a So-Cal 5-wide. Three weeks later I was building our 5-wide. A foot is a mile in a teardrop.

I built a 4-wide for my sister and bro-in-law. That's what they wanted. They're skinny. He competes in 100-mile trail races. They love it and I do think it's right for them and behind their Rav-4.

I miss our 4-wide while towing. That's her over to the left in my avatar. But not while we're out camping. I'll pass on a 6-wide 'drop. I think they would be too wide. I'd need wider mirrors on my Tacoma and some of the two-tracks we travel on might be too narrow.

You can't call it roughing-it when you're laying on a queen size bed. :thumbsup:

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:55 pm

I would go with a 5. My 4 ft is fine for me alone but when it comes to mattresses, 5's just have more options being you always have to cut something down to make it fit a 4 or have something custom made. If I had it to do over again, the 5 ft tear would have a removable foot panel being I have no use for cabinets in the lower area of the back of a teardrop which would make removing a mattress so easy - slide in - slide out. And with this feature - any 5 ft queen could be made to work as long as it was the right length.
gudmund
500 Club

Postby Aguyfromohio » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:21 pm

gudmund wrote:... any 5 ft queen could be made to work as long as it was the right length.

Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby edgeau » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:14 pm

5 is the go in my opinion. No towing mirrors needed, tracks nicely behind the SUV and still comfortable for two inside.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby working on it » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:41 pm

edgeau wrote:5 is the go in my opinion. No towing mirrors needed, tracks nicely behind the SUV and still comfortable for two inside.
If I were to camp with another person, I agree that 5 or wider is better. And though I've thought of a larger size trailer (just fantasizing), my experiences with larger trailers (width) vs smaller ones make me think that I appreciate the ease of towing, turning, backing, visibility, etc.; it makes a narrower trailer easier to live with, for a solo camper. I built mine intending to go semi-offroad, and to camp where trees, sloping trails, or tight bends might make towing a wider-bodied trailer impossible. If I were a snow-bird, or full-time RV resident, then wider, for increased living space, would be my choice. I picked 4-foot as best, due to my personal experience in 4x8 solo TTT camping...it's a compromise, having less room inside vs the ease of towing it, in the shadow of my truck, but I can live with it. I've really liked not having to use extending mirrors (which may be damaged on narrow country brush-lined roads), and like to be able to track both tires' paths at the same time (necessary on some switch-back, curbed or rutted roads). I would probably be able to use a 5-wide, on all roads, but at 6 or wider, then I better not stray off the beaten path (at least not in heavy traffic, or in low vision situations). Traffic gets worse each year, as does my vision.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:20 pm

...The width of your tow vehicle. Saves gas and you can see past and around it more easily.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Magambi » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:22 pm

Wow, thanks for all the feedback. Some of the comments are hilarious. :lol: BTW, click the "Show results" link to see how everyone voted so far.

As I said, I'm an ogre at 6'6" 260 lb. A 4 foot may be a little tight for me and my girl (unless she sleeps on top, but I'll keep things PG for this forum :R). I think a 5 foot seems a great size. I'm going camper shopping this weekend. I'll look at both the 5 and 6 foot versions, but I think I'll end up with the 5 foot.

Magambi
Magambi
Teardrop Inspector

Postby swoody126 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:37 am

the first 2 elements that figure into the physical size of YOUR IDEAL TRAILER

TRACK of TV

BODY WIDTH of TV

when moving in out n around camping locations as well as traffic it is really convenient to have the trailer tracking in the same tracks of the TV

unless you love ADAPTING mirrors to a mid/small sized TV(which looks really wonky) a trailer body width equal to or slightly less than the width of the TV is down right handy

for example...with my Jeep Cherokee those dimensions would provide for an outside width of track/fender width @ 6' leaving a deck width of 4'± when using TV sized wheels

it would also be handy to have a trailer body width < 6' also though i would suggest just wide enough to accommodate an REGULAR SIZED QUEEN(60" ID) plus 2x the thickness of a wall based on your structural requirements

now the next question/decision to be resolved is do you run small wheels w/ the deck above the fenders or do you run TV sized wheels and locate the bed above the wheel wells which would logically provide you w/ abundant storage between the wheel wells

VISION & TRACK WIDTH along with interior bed size are 3 of my personal decision making elements

then the interior height needs consideration which for me would be full sitting height w/o having to tilt my head even w/ a hat on

what others "say is best" may(likely wont) necessarily be best for you/anyone else

YOU GOTZ2 EMPLOY YOUR OWN DESIGN ELEMENTS TO ACHIEVE WHATZ BEST FOR YOU

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby edgeau » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:34 pm

swoody126 wrote:the first 2 elements that figure into the physical size of YOUR IDEAL TRAILER

TRACK of TV

BODY WIDTH of TV

when moving in out n around camping locations as well as traffic it is really convenient to have the trailer tracking in the same tracks of the TV

unless you love ADAPTING mirrors to a mid/small sized TV(which looks really wonky) a trailer body width equal to or slightly less than the width of the TV is down right handy

for example...with my Jeep Cherokee those dimensions would provide for an outside width of track/fender width @ 6' leaving a deck width of 4'± when using TV sized wheels

it would also be handy to have a trailer body width < 6' also though i would suggest just wide enough to accommodate an REGULAR SIZED QUEEN(60" ID) plus 2x the thickness of a wall based on your structural requirements

now the next question/decision to be resolved is do you run small wheels w/ the deck above the fenders or do you run TV sized wheels and locate the bed above the wheel wells which would logically provide you w/ abundant storage between the wheel wells

VISION & TRACK WIDTH along with interior bed size are 3 of my personal decision making elements

then the interior height needs consideration which for me would be full sitting height w/o having to tilt my head even w/ a hat on

what others "say is best" may(likely wont) necessarily be best for you/anyone else

YOU GOTZ2 EMPLOY YOUR OWN DESIGN ELEMENTS TO ACHIEVE WHATZ BEST FOR YOU

sw
Well said.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby green1 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:49 pm

One thing to keep in mind is that towed width doesn't have to equal camping width, there are all sorts of creative ways to expand the trailer at setup time.

My trailer is 4'6". I'm starting to think of building my own, and strongly considering going narrower to 4'. All the building materials are so much easier if you're only 4' wide. (e.g. I can't for the life of me find any reasonable roof skin any wider than that, and I hate roof seams!)

The secret is that I don't sleep lengthwise in my teardrop, I sleep crosswise with a slideout.
green1
Teardrop Builder

Postby RBB » Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:16 am

This may be an older post, but just for fun...

I was struggling with the same questions, but at a different scale...
Most Teardrops on here have the occupants sleeping North/South (perpendicular to the axel)...
In my build, a "standie", everyone is sleeping East/West (parallel to the axel).
In order to use "standard" mattresses, the internal width of the trailer needs to be a minimum of 75".
Here is the catch... 75" wide for mattress + 1.5" walls each side... that's 78" wide, excluding trim and other accessories. This toes the line on trailer sizes based on DOT requirements for lighting... if any part of the trailer is >80" wide, you need to add quite a bit of lighting to the build.
I have not started this part of the build myself, but I am just going to plan on being over 80" wide, and plan on including all the extra lighting in my build.
RBB
Teardrop Builder

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:37 pm

RBB wrote:I have not started this part of the build myself, but I am just going to plan on being over 80" wide, and plan on including all the extra lighting in my build.

So you plan to tow a nearly 7 foot wide trailer? :shock:

Sounds like a real headache to me. Just sayen'...

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby green1 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:19 pm

RBB wrote:This may be an older post, but just for fun...

I was struggling with the same questions, but at a different scale...
Most Teardrops on here have the occupants sleeping North/South (perpendicular to the axel)...
In my build, a "standie", everyone is sleeping East/West (parallel to the axel).
In order to use "standard" mattresses, the internal width of the trailer needs to be a minimum of 75".
Here is the catch... 75" wide for mattress + 1.5" walls each side... that's 78" wide, excluding trim and other accessories. This toes the line on trailer sizes based on DOT requirements for lighting... if any part of the trailer is >80" wide, you need to add quite a bit of lighting to the build.
I have not started this part of the build myself, but I am just going to plan on being over 80" wide, and plan on including all the extra lighting in my build.

Might I suggest slide outs? My trailer is a total of 4 ft wide, plus wheel arches. We sleep crosswise in the trailer, with a standard size double bed mattress plus an extra 6 in of length.
Despite being 4 ft wide when being towed or parked at home, at camp it is 7 ft wide.
green1
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to User Polls