Portable Electric cooler/heater for food, what do you use?

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

I use my Portable Electric cooler/heater mostly as a freezer
No votes
I keep food ready for meal time by keeping it warm in my Portable Electric cooler/heater
14%
My Portable Electric cooler/heater is divided and has a cooler and a freezer
14%
I just use a 5 day cooler with ice
57%
My Portable Electric cooler/heater is in my trailer
14%
My Portable Electric cooler/heater I keep in my vehicle
No votes
I have a seperate battery for my Portable Electric cooler/heater
No votes

Total votes : 7

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:44 pm

Modern times are here. Using a cooler with a Block of Ice or Dry Ice are becoming a thing of the past.

Those of you who have Portable Electric Coolers/Heaters
What brand do you use?
Would you buy it again?
is it just 12v or does it also have 120v for pre-cooling?
Do you connect it to your trailer system, Keep it in Puller,
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Re: Portable Electric cooler/heater for food, what do you us

Postby Pugwinkle » Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:02 am

I have a BougeRV 30 which I love. It can either be used as a fridge or a freezer but not both at the same time. It is 12 volt and runs on AC. I would buy it again as it's a very good price and I don't think I really NEED a freezer. I simply put frozen stuff in the fridge before I leave for my trip and I like all the space for fresh food.
I connect it to shore power if it's available. If it's not available I either run it off my van while driving and then plug it into my 500 watt GoLabs power station.
Pugwinkle
Teardrop Inspector

Postby RJ Howell » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:47 am

Still believe for short runs, ice in a super insulated cooler is the way to go. Longer runs, purchasing 'good' ice is hard and gets expensive

Have a Costway 70qt chest style frig/freeze unit. can do either but not both single mode. Only run frig mainly because we have no need to freeze, anything. It's large enough for a weeks provisions and if we pack it correctly can keep meat frozen for a few days (packed at the bottom in a freezer bag).

I pre-cool 120v, though don't think it much matters.. Worst usage was in the Southwest (hot) and used 22amps in a 24 hour period. Best recorded was 12amps in the Atlantic Maritimes for a 24hr period.

I have a 60ah LiFePo4 battery and with the frig, lighting and some recharging get ~2.5 days. I'm upping to my 90ah soon to extend the days, yet w don't stay anywhere more than 3 days anyway.. It's in the cabin and separate from the vehicle except I charge mainly by DC/DC. I drive, I'm charging. My ATEM charger will do DC/DC or MPPT solar. Covers all the bases for me.

Would I do it again? Depends on pricing and what's new. Size, compressor (a must) and temperature range. I like chest style, just feel they keep food colder longer and can fit more. I often debate going smaller, this size runs well and fits a bunch of food!

Believe I paid $299 3-4yrs back on sale. https://www.costway.com/product/70-quart-portable-electric-car-camping-cooler.html?fee=163&fep=14762&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=product&gclid=CjwKCAjw6p-oBhAYEiwAgg2PglLr_d6BhsOKfRrnjwCXFzxhkfLT8vCtk437NoCsKUIKPFf49KfkdBoC9X4QAvD_BwE

Think that hit all your questions.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RBB » Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:55 pm

I just got back from an 8 day trip with a new BougeRV 22. Very happy with how it performed. I set the temp for 33deg and mainly kept Milk, OJ, beer and other beverages, as well as meat in the fridge. Did NOT power it overnight, only when driving, and it seemed to hold insulation well enough. (Was not in and out once the power was off).
I would recommend, especially for a sub $200 option!
RBB
Teardrop Builder

Postby Laurdersz » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:37 am

I use a Dometic CFX3 portable electric coolers/heater, and I've been quite happy with it. It's durable, reliable, and offers both cooling and heating functions. The dual-zone model I have can operate on both 12v and 120v power sources, which is convenient for pre-cooling at home or using it in the car while traveling. I typically connect it to my trailer's power system, but it's also compatible with a puller or other power sources.
Last edited by Laurdersz on Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laurdersz
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:01 am

We camp for 2-3 night stretches except for our month-long SW trip that we've been doing that trip for nearly a decade. We're strictly ice-cooler campers. I've toyed with jumping to an electric cooler but it would have to include another 100 watts of solar and doubling the battery capacity. It's not worth it.

For our month-long trip, we take two coolers. One in the galley, one in the bed of the truck. We can be out in the boondocks for 4-5 days before we need food, gas, water, ice, and a shower.

For us, ice makes more sense. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:46 pm

I am still working on the end of my second build we too when camping in our first trailer used 3 coolers. We pulled the a corolla and would put one with drinks and fist mill in back seat the a bagged ice and would replace that ice at stops along the way. Then we carried 2 in the trailer one with just a block of ice which lasted a long time for first meals only opened for short times. 3rd cooler intended for food at out main camping spot where we would be for 3or more days, This cooler had a block of ice and the frozen food and on top of the food we would place Dry Ice. I held well.

With my new trailer I wanted a plug in saving time on emptying out the coolers of water and putting in new ice. We now will be pulling with a Highlander with factory hitch. We may still put the drink cooler in the back seat. And was unsure if power cooler should be in the SUV or the trailer. I might in the future have solar but not planed in the build.

Thank you each for the information your Have put here it helps us a lot as well as other reading this site.

Ron Dickey
Central Coast, CA
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby VanIsledave » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:00 pm

We spent considerable time going back and forth trying to decide between using ice or buying a fridge/freezer. In the end. and just before we finished our build, we decided to go with a plug in freezer as we didn't want to always be looking for ice. We'd kind of resigned ourselves to spending a gazillion dollars for a dometic but, coincidentally, saw an ad for a "Bodega" cooler.It was less than half of what we were looking at for a dometic, fit the space in our TD and was a dual zone fridge/freezer. After 14 weeks and thousands of miles camping in our TD it's still working great.

It keeps the cold stuff cold, the frozen stuff frozen and we get ice for our g&t's.

As with anything...your mileage may vary. :D

Dave
VanIsledave
Teardrop Inspector

Postby repaircare34 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:03 am

When it comes to the best fridge brand, Samsung, LG, and Whirlpool are among the top choices, known for their reliability, energy efficiency, and innovative features. In Dubai, several fridge repair companies offer professional services, with "Fridge Repair Dubai" being a reputable option. They have experienced technicians who can diagnose and fix various fridge issues, from simple repairs to complete replacements, ensuring your appliance runs smoothly and efficiently. Considering factors like budget, capacity, and after-sales service, researching reputable brands and repair services is crucial for a hassle-free fridge ownership experience in Dubai.
repaircare34
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:00 am

repaircare34 wrote:When it comes to the best XXX brand, Samsung, LG, and Whirlpool are among the top choices, known for their reliability, energy efficiency, and innovative features. In Dubai, several fridge repair companies offer professional services, with "Fridge Repair Dubai" being a reputable option. They have experienced technicians who can diagnose and fix various fridge issues, from simple repairs to complete replacements, ensuring your appliance runs smoothly and efficiently. Considering factors like budget, capacity, and after-sales service, researching reputable brands and repair services is crucial for a hassle-free fridge ownership experience in Dubai.

1. LG has a terrible reputation, at least around here. (Ours has worked fine so far, though)
2. It's super simple to ship broken refrigerators to Dubai for repair. Simply wrap in brown paper, write the address clearly, add a $10,000 stamp, and drop it in any mailbox that happens to be large enough.
3. Somehow the spammer missed that this is a thread about camper refrigerators, but that makes shipping to Dubai all the easier--simply drive it there directly. (North American tow vehicles may need an extra long snorkel.)

:stompspam:

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:55 pm

Before I retired I worked for Home Depot. My last Dept. was Appliances, Samsung needs repair more often :NC in our store the repair man came from the next county. LG is better but still has problems, GE sold their product to a worse band but they did build a new building for making them and are still good, Whirlpool has fewer problems.

But most of the coolers used that are electric are of other brands, or a sub of one of the big ones. like bodegacooler.com, K-Box, Wagon, Koolatron, Knox, Dometic(a lot of people have), Costway, Engel, Whynter, Alpicool, ARB, Cooluli, Igloo, GoSun Chill, ICECO, BougeRV , EcoFlow Glacier, IceCo , Stanley, EKOJUCE, Euhomy, Zeny (small cooler warmer), Coleman, and many more. :snow :snowstorm:
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Return to User Polls