Smoking.

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Do you smoke?

Yeah, what's it to you? (blowing smoke in their face.)
1%
Yes I do. (blowing smoke up in the air.)
10%
Yes I do. I'll put it out if it bothers you.
9%
Yes I do, but not when we gather like this, unless I ask first.
2%
No, but don't mind if you do.
11%
No, but don't mind if you do. Please stay downwind of me.
30%
No and I don't want to smell that stinch. (cough, cough)
35%

Total votes : 141

Postby Laredo » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:38 pm

I have a severe allergy to smoke. When I was quite young I was treated for asthma -- which magically disappeared when my parents gave up cigarettes.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:02 am

I just read today that one of the states is gonna vote to decide if smoking in a car with kids should be against the law.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:32 am

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:I just read today that one of the states is gonna vote to decide if smoking in a car with kids should be against the law.

What a good idea. One of the reasons I quit is because I was closed up in a car with my own smoke for 4 hours and the stimulant effect sent my heart rate to 180. The fastest way to get help was to drive for 40 minutes in the middle of the night, down the blackest Kansas road I have ever seen. No cars, no houses, no cell phone. When the Dr. said stimulant and cigeretts I make up my mind to quit or else.

Imagine the effect on kids. :thumbdown:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Gage » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:46 am

Miriam C. wrote: <snip>
Imagine the effect on kids. :thumbdown:

That's why I'm so screwed up. My mom smoked the whole time she carried me and then after birth. Matter of fact, she still smokes today. 86 years young and plays golf 3 days a week. :thinking:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Dennis T » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:48 am

The state is New Jersey for the law with kids. :thumbsup: Can't smoke in buildings :thumbsup: unless your gambling in Atlantic City which is legal. :x

Dennis T
Dennis T
The 300 Club

Postby 48Rob » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:09 am

Gage,

No.

My daughter and I help Kimberly at the Midwest Vintage Trailer Rally in Wisconsin each year.
My daughter, 13, really enjoys being Kimberlies helper (only time of the year she has such a big responsibility without parents to get in her way...) :D

I strongly considered it for this year, as I really want to meet everyone, but chose at least for this year, to to stay with our original plans.

I think she'd like the Minden rally too, just would have been wrong to cancel on Wisconsin after making that promise...

I will try to make the next one. :thumbsup:

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby cam5e » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:55 am

Very interesting topic. And I'm happy to see that emotions haven't flared. I started smoking while in the Military (heck, smoking beat standing a parade rest in the hot sun while the DI smoked). And as the story goes the rest is history. Been a smoker ever since.

Do I know it's bad for me? Yes. But, the one true statistic in life is that the death rate remains 100%. i am one of those who does enjoy tobacco. To sit by the fire place and enjoy a smoke after I've worked my brain to a frazzel is relaxing.

I don't smoke in the homes/cars etc of non-smokers. I do try to be curtious. However, I don't aprove of others (i.e dogooders/Government) trying to dictate what I'll be able to do on/in my private property. Don't our Police have enough to do already without us Criminializing the use of a legal product any further?
Gen. Jack D. Ripper: "I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."
cam5e
Teardrop Advisor

Postby coreyjhen » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:33 pm

"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
coreyjhen
Teardrop Master

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:18 pm

coreyjhen wrote:Interesting article: http://www.comcast.net/news/health/index.jsp?cat=HEALTHWELLNESS&fn=/2007/01/25/570854.html&cvqh=itn_smoking.

So I guess if there is a specific spot in the brain thoses who have a harder time quiting may have have a spot in thier brain that makes the decision for them. Not just a habit or mind over matter. I wonder if it is in the same place for everyone or if different people have different and more influential spots.
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby coreyjhen » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:27 pm

Miriam C. wrote:So I guess if there is a specific spot in the brain thoses who have a harder time quiting may have have a spot in thier brain that makes the decision for them. Not just a habit or mind over matter. I wonder if it is in the same place for everyone or if different people have different and more influential spots.

That is the conclusion I would probably draw. My guess would also be that there is some genetic factor that influences who has those spots and who doesn't.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
coreyjhen
Teardrop Master

Postby jimqpublic » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:46 pm

I don't, never tried it, boy am I glad.

I try to exercise courtesy among smokers. I generally stand upwind but don't make a big deal of it. I cook over burning char so it's not like I avoid all smoke.

My wife on the other hand can border on rude. She does that "sniff, sniff" thing if she detects the faintest hint of cigarette smoke. I understand not wanting to breath in a cloud or get your clothes and hair smelling like a pool hall, but she takes it way too far.
Jim
2002 Chalet Arrowhead but always wanted a Teardrop
2 kids and a Dear Wife
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimqpublic
jimqpublic
The 300 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:17 pm

coreyjhen wrote:
Miriam C. wrote:So I guess if there is a specific spot in the brain thoses who have a harder time quiting may have have a spot in thier brain that makes the decision for them. Not just a habit or mind over matter. I wonder if it is in the same place for everyone or if different people have different and more influential spots.

That is the conclusion I would probably draw. My guess would also be that there is some genetic factor that influences who has those spots and who doesn't.

Or an environmental influence. Possibly as brain milenation occurs extra cells grow or cells take on special function. We know the brain will change the function of some areas and cells by the recovery of some stroke and injured people.
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Smoking

Postby Aaron Coffee » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:58 pm

I smoke, and generally ty to be curteous. I attend alot of stock car races and kind of laugh when people say there should be a no-smoking section, as they are breathing exhaust from the race cars, dust from the track, smoke from leaky valve covers, etc. I have been to races where the fumes from the alcohol fuel that modifeds use is so strong that it was burning my eyes, and I wasn't even in thepits.
I spent a week in Connecticut a while back and they are trying to pass a law about smoking in cars with kids, also.
What about second hand chew. I used to work at a shop where a guy chewed(plugs) he would spit on the floor. Many times I stepped in it and slipped and landed on my butt.
If I could shut my brain off, I could save myself alot of time, money and effort.
Aaron Coffee
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Esteban » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:44 am

I don't smoke. Probably because my father died of lung cancer caused by smoking. I was five and grew up without a Dad.

My hometown, San Luis Obispo, California, was the first city to ban smoking in public buildings. :)

In 1990, San Luis Obispo, California became the first city in the world to ban smoking in all public buildings including bars and restaurants. Since that time, municipalities around the world have followed suit, using San Luis Obispo as a model.

According to reports issued by the California State Board of Equalization, the number of eating and drinking establishments in the city have grown, taxable transacations from eating and drinking establishments have eclipsed statewide levels, the number of tourists to the city has grown exponentially, and the ever-important transient occupancy tax collected by the city is at a record high. In fact, we believe that tourists seek out San Luis Obispo as a vacation destination because of our clean air and pristine environment and appreciate our concern for the health of our visitors and residents.

http://www.tobacco.org/News/010129garth.html

Steve B.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:10 am

Esteban wrote:I don't smoke. Probably because my father died of lung cancer caused by smoking. I was five and grew up without a Dad.

My hometown, San Luis Obispo, California, was the first city to ban smoking in public buildings. :)

In 1990, San Luis Obispo, California became the first city in the world to ban smoking in all public buildings including bars and restaurants. Since that time, municipalities around the world have followed suit, using San Luis Obispo as a model.

According to reports issued by the California State Board of Equalization, the number of eating and drinking establishments in the city have grown, taxable transacations from eating and drinking establishments have eclipsed statewide levels, the number of tourists to the city has grown exponentially, and the ever-important transient occupancy tax collected by the city is at a record high. In fact, we believe that tourists seek out San Luis Obispo as a vacation destination because of our clean air and pristine environment and appreciate our concern for the health of our visitors and residents.

http://www.tobacco.org/News/010129garth.html

Steve B.

Non smoking may be a factor in the draw for tourism to San Louis Obispo but I would rather believe the real draw is that it's such a quiet and beautiful area off the California coast. The Tri-City area is one of my favorites in California :thumbsup: . Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

PreviousNext

Return to User Polls