How many TDs have you built for your own use?

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

How many TDs have you built for your own use?

One, no plans to build another.
28%
One, but planning to build a better second TD.
53%
Two TDs, I am satisfied with my second build.
3%
Three, or more... I am teardrop junky, can't get enough!
17%

Total votes : 36

Postby Podunkfla » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:47 pm

len19070 wrote:I started building Tears in the early to mid 80's. Never seeing another one until till 1997 and not having the internet till about the same time. Built solely on memories I had from seeing plans in a Magazine decades before.

Its easy to say I took my time and only built one or two, if you have had the opportunity to view literally thousands of other trailers on a form like this. And no offense intended to anyone who has.

As a result, I have built several. Some for me..some for sale. Until a few years ago when I built my SlumberCoach.

It is what I want. And I am happy with it.

Will I build another trailer, certainly probably several. There are lots of things I'd love to try. I love working in my shop and building trailers.

I tell my wife "it keeps me out of the Bars and away from Red Headed Women". (Before I get flack for that statement..Theres NOTHING wrong with Red Headed Women)

This is just how I enjoy this hobby. Some folks enjoy the drawing board fase more. Its all OK.

Happy Trails

Len

Len... Without a doubt, your slumber coach is the one tear I most admire. Not to say there aren't some others on this forum that aren't beautifully made with great craftsmanship... there certainly are. But, yours, to my mind, is a truely unique example of astheticly pleasing traditional design and well thought out details. The color scheme is perfect too. As an old cabinet maker, I can do some pretty good joinery on occasion. I recognise good work when I see it... and yours is very good. But, your sense of design and porportion is what really stands out. Your slumbercoach is even better than the origional. One of these days, after a few more ordinary tears, I may attempt something along the lines of an old woodie. I'd be pleased if it came out anywhere near as good as your great little teardrop. I am glad there are people with your talent and love of the craft on this forum sharing their knowlege and setting such a high standard for us to shoot at. Your little Shasta is also wonderfully done for sure... But, I still think you hit the ball out of the park with the slumbercoach. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :applause:
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby len19070 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:57 am

Brick
Thank you so much for the kind words. I'll have trouble putting my hat on this morning (lol).

One of the points I was trying to make was that this hobby is so multi faceted. Its not just camping as in RVing. It is the camping but its also the building, the planning the BSing on the forum, the other activities you do with the Teardrop, biking, fishing some folks with Radio Controlled toys, Dogs, old cars and on and on.

I literally was taken camping when I was one month old. My dad was a Master Carpenter as was my brother and I. 18 years ago I became an RV service tech to get in out of the weather, and all of that pointed me unknowingly to Trailer building.

I'm so glad I fell into it.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Previous

Return to User Polls