What name did you give your trailer and why

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

List under poll your trailer name and why you called it that

The name just came to me.
45%
It is one of my fravorite words
4%
someone else named it.
9%
what is in a name it is just a trailer
5%
it was something out of my childhood
4%
a family name or word
6%
it told me ( don't tell anyone)
10%
it is a long story .....
8%
don't ask and I will not tell.
2%
The Kids named it.
2%
I do not know .... Sorry....
7%

Total votes : 192

Postby bobhenry » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:40 am

"D" all of the above !! :D

"Eggbert" was gonna be "peanut" till we sealed him with white roof coating then he looked like an egg.

Image Image

"Chubby" was next ..he was to be a cubby profile but like me he grew and became Chubby.

"Barn to be wild" was a combination of input some one refered to the idea as wild and when you put barn and wild together you get barn to be wild a play on Stephenwolf's Born to be wild and of course the electric amish's spoof song "Barn to be wild"

The "wishbone wagon" my chuckwagon project was named by my buddy Jim who helped me with it. It was named after Mr. Wishbone the trail cook on Rawhide.

The 4x7 being a sleeper only ( no galley) was named after a great sleeper "Rip VanWinkle"

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby OuttaHand » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:52 am

The name for ours just came to me. I wish I had a fantastic story, but I don't. It just hit me and seemed kinda funny. A nice little play on wrds. . .

I am thinking about doing some kind of inlay sign using two or three different kinds of wood to make the image. We'll see if I get time to pursue that.
Teardrop newbie but camping "oldster"
OuttaHand
Teardrop Master

Postby Tim and Sandy Dugan » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:22 pm

Little Bit

Hi. My name is Little Bit, and this is how I got my name.

I am a teardrop camper, made from a 70 year old design. I am homemade like most teardrops and functional as a camper despite my small size. I am light and easy to tow and when you get to your camp site you don't have a lot of work to do setting up camp. Just get a fire going and enjoy.

You've heard of people being small and having a big heart, well I am small and yet I have a big room where you can come and rest for a while. I also have many storage compartments and when you get up from your rest you can go around to the back and open the galley. There you can make a pot of coffee or tea and just set a while.

First things first. I have had a complete make-over. I used to be a tent camper that sadly had seen too many winters. I thought I was going to be used as a utility trailer and carry heavy loads the rest of my days. My former owner only used me in that manner.

The people who bought me had a different plan and soon I found myself being torn from stem to stern. My wheels were relocated and my old weathered floor removed. Soon I found myself being fitted with new sides. I couldn't imagine what was happening. After the sides went up I got a roof. Can you imagine, a roof. And insulation and wires going here and there. Oh my. I have a vinyl top and a power vent, a stove and cooler as well as electric lights. I have a queen size bed inside and a full galley out back. Yes sir, I am very functional as a camper.

The best part is, when they are done using me they put me in a room of my very own. I never had a room of my own. They call it a garage and I do share it with a snow blower, but it is wonderful to me.

Back to my name “Little Bitâ€
Woodies are just warmer
Tim and Sandy Dugan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby wired » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:50 pm

Our TD, is called the "Honeymooner" and was actually named by the fellow that is building it for us (Michael Knox). He sent me the first pics of the build in a file named "Hartshorn Honeymooner". I liked the name and it just kinda stuck.
Last edited by wired on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wired
The 300 Club

Postby Verna » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:59 pm

It came with the name.

Verna
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:09 pm

Ours will be the SAGwagon (support and gear) for our bicycle and road trips. Its a term used in the bicycle world for the vehicles that transport gear and broken down cyclists from one place to another in a distance ride.

Becky
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

may be a bit early for naming, but here it is

Postby working on it » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:15 pm

Although a leg/knee injury has kept me from adding the upper structure to the now completed rolling stock, and probably for another week (still hobbling around...in pain...at work, though), I've decided to name my minihopper/simple variant as HHRv=(Hairy Hominid Research Vehicle)! This is in line with what I stated my reasons for building in my first post
we have a HHR Panel and a Cobalt SE coupe, I want to build the companion trailer for them. My excuse to the wife is that I'm building it for her to use on her Crypto-zoological expeditions into the American bush (I won't allow her to use the 24 footer, purchased strictly for her business trips, for such frivolity).
This name fits both my transport and her ?hobby?, such as it is. Also,in the off-hand possibility that anyone here ever meets her, mum is the word...she doesn't admit to chasing BIGFOOT ! EDIT, added 2-8-2014: Just rediscovered this old post, and saw that I hadn't edited it to give the reason for the name change/addition. It still is the HHRv, but I added the Mechatavismus Minimus to further define its' character: a mechanical atavism! I went for a hardware heavy/exposed mechanism look, with no attempt to disguise functionality (function first over form!). And, since the 4x8 structure is the original sizing of the golden age camper..... from Wikipedia
Teardrop trailers first became popular in the 1930s, when magazines such as Mechanix Illustrated published plans. The first teardrops were designed around the idea of using standard 4 by 8-foot sheets of plywood
it is an atavism....... from Wikipedia
Atavism is the tendency to revert to ancestral type. In biology, an atavism is an evolutionary throwback
And, being small, compared to many on this forum, it is a minimalist trailer. Thus, Mechatavismus Minimus-HHRv became its' formal name.
actual nameplate.jpg
actual nameplate.jpg (51.31 KiB) Viewed 8556 times
Last edited by working on it on Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: What name did you give your trailer and why

Postby DragonFire » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:07 pm

My 18' Aristocrat was called The Shell...I move a bit slowly and have been called a snail by my family. So the RV was the snail's shell, or The Shell. The license plate frame says "72 Starliner/ A big, slow moving snail"

The Shell went to a new home yesterday.

I'm still slow moving, not quick like a Grasshopper. The Grasshopper looks like a mini version of The Shell. So it has been called the Mini Shell, the Baby Shell, and The Snailer...combo of Snail and Trailer. My email is snailtrailer72. So, I've been trying to think of a name, but I keep calling it The Snailer...no matter how small she is, we are still stuck going 55 in the right lane, so we're still snailing it.

So I think the poor 79 Grasshopper will be called The Snailer. Haven't come up with anything else.
'79 Grasshopper
Coleman Keepers 200a Gang
DragonFire
Donating Member

Postby IndyTom » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:10 am

One of my favorite movies is "The Long Long Trailer" staring Lucille Ball and Dezi Arnaz. The trailer in the brochure, that they went to the trailer show to see was the Bungalette. So how could I name her anything else?

Tom
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby Alfie » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:41 am

I named it Alfie after the 1939 builder Alfred Araldi. It turns out that Alfie means....Elf counsel, wise, Old Peace. Good name for a small vitage trailer.
Alfie
Teardrop Builder

Postby DragonFire » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:28 pm

That's a nice looking trailer, too!
'79 Grasshopper
Coleman Keepers 200a Gang
DragonFire
Donating Member

Postby Sonoma ZR2 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:00 pm

My teardrop is going to be a weekender design. Named High Country we picked the name by combining where the wife and I came from. Plus we found it as a decal with background on Ebay.
Sonoma ZR2
Teardrop Master

Postby doug hodder » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:29 pm

I picked this trailers names first and built the trailer around it, trying to keep true to it's name/image, The Rocketear. Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby canned o minimum » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:18 pm

My teardrop was named by my brother. I had a contest with my 8 siblings to name it and "canned o minimum" won !

Now I have a TTT standie.. Eriba,Puck trailer from Germany ! My VW Bug has "Runs On Fun" painted on it so I named the Puck.. Fun House.. It seemed the only logical name !
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Maureenm » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:41 pm

My trailer's name is Fiona, for two reasons....my TVs name is Shrek ( that's the long story part that I won't bore you with), and because of her ridiculous,but I like it, green color.
Maureenm
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to User Polls