So you decided to go camping. Now what?

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Where do you prefer to camp at?

Boondocking?
9%
State or County Parks?
43%
National Parks?
12%
Private Campgrounds?
4%
Little spot I only know about?
2%
Commercial Campgrounds (Koa, etc.)
4%
Private lands
No votes
Other, I'll add my note below!
1%
All of the above
26%

Total votes : 82

So you decided to go camping. Now what?

Postby Woody » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:46 pm

When you decide where to go camping, where do prefer to go?
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Arne » Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:24 am

On the trip, I chose commercial campgrounds for several reasons:

- Shirley (likes her comforts, including shower and real toilet; I can't disagree too much)

- Electricity (cold nights, cable tv) made things a lot more comfortable after we sacked out for the night.

I hope in the future we can alternate between state/national parks and commerical, to get the benefits of both.

an aside: good sam ratings are iffy. KOA were generally above all the rest. Especially the shower/restrooms..... and we joined koa and get a 10% discount. they are also usually the most expensive....

regarding wi-fi. One of the first campgrounds we stayed, in Luray, Virginia, had free wi-fi.... very nice. Most had free cable-modem, dialup... the places that advertised wi-fi had a service you had to join (guess it is a profit center for the campground) and none had the same service. So, I would have had to join a separate service each time, so chose to not use wi-fi unless it was free, which was uncommon.

In that vain, koa is attempting to have a universal wi-fi provider. That would probably get me going to koa's every couple of days to update my financial downloads (needed for my business).
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

State Parks / National Parks

Postby JunkMan » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:47 am

We usually stay at State Parks / National Parks.

Our trips are normally based on the destinations activities. We prefer places that have great scenery, bicycling or hiking trails, fishing, or kayaking oppurtunities.

We really don't care about cable TV (don't even bring a TV along unless our granddaughter is with us) or computer hook-ups, really don't even need water and sewer hook-ups, although electricity is nice if it is availible.

When in route, unless there is something we want to see along the way, we usually drive late into the night, stop at a Rest area or WalMart for a couple of hours of sleep, then back on the road.

The only time we use KOA's and such is when we want to visit an area that doesn't have a public park availible, or if there is no other place to safely spend the night.

Jeff
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:32 pm

Is having a KOA card worth it?
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Joseph » Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:04 am

I haven't voted in this poll since there is no "all of the above" option.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby Arne » Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:33 am

The koa card is 9 bucks, I think.... save 10% each time. Most of them are close to 30 dollars, so after 3 visits the savings start..

All of these things are gimmicks to keep you coming back for the savings. Some are worth it, some are not. We really thought the koa's were about the best commercial sites we went to, especially bathroom/shower facilities.

I would like to do more state/federal parks, but Shirley isn't into really roughing it... I do think next year we will try a mix of sites and see how it works out....

We got a good sam campground guide and joined for one year ($19). Each g/s campground gave us 10% off.... I found the g/s seal of approval marginally useful...... Some were good, some made me wish we were in a motel. But none were really terrible.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Woody » Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:53 pm

Joseph,

Sorry, I thought after I submitted the poll. I would added an other "other" block and "All of the above". I tried to edit the poll and you can only edit the post not the poll unless there is another way to do it.
Woody
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:04 pm

Hey Woody,

I added the last two options you mentioned. Yes, I know the results will be tainted... :(

Next time if you need to change something let me know, I can do it. I'll also investigate why you can't change it...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:12 pm

Woody,

It looks like you can edit your poll up until the time you vote. After you vote, the editing option is removed. Probably cause they know you don't want tainted data!!! :wink:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Woody » Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:35 pm

Thanks Mike,
Now that makes perfect sense when fortunes are made or lost or lives are at stake with my poll being biased :lol: :lol: :lol: I had noticed that the option was missing after I "polled" myself :lol: I know there might be alot of jokes about that last statement :lol: I could edit it out, but what heck :lol: :lol:
Woody
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Frank » Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:31 pm

Woody,

We prefer State & National Parks, most of which have bath house's and electric. Really that's about all we require, came to relax and enjoy the sites and scenery. KOA's are really nice, but most of the time too busy, and to commercal.

Frank
Let's go camping!
Frank
Silver Donating Member

Ontario Provitial Parks

Postby RiffRaff » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:30 am

My SWMBO qualifies for a handicap discount so a spot with electricity it's $13CAD.

No tt yet just tents
RiffRaff
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Podunkfla » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:07 am

I usually go for state or or county parks and some private campgrounds.

Of course, you forgot to mention Walmart's parking lot. :laughter:
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby madjack » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:23 am

Although I voted for all of the above (cause we do) we generally stay at state or national parks...they usually have electricity(if wanted) water handy, table/fire rings/barbques and generally decent restrooms along with being in the locations we want to see....When just travelling a rest area or truck stop will do for a quick rest up and your bigger/chain truckstops generally have pretty nice showers.....
madjack 8)

p.s. I never have seen this thread before...it even predates my joining the board by a month...pretty old stuff...RiffRaff you had to do some serious diggin' to turn this'un up..........MJ
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby bledsoe3 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:37 am

madjack wrote:p.s. I never have seen this thread before...it even predates my joining the board by a month...pretty old stuff...RiffRaff you had to do some serious diggin' to turn this'un up..........MJ

That's what I was thinking. Almost 2 years since its last post. Thats OK. It'll probably get more responses this time.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Next

Return to User Polls