3 day weekend camping, How far are you willing to go?

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Miles willing to travel for 3 day weekend of camping?

0 - 50 miles
3%
50 - 200 miles
45%
200 - 450 miles
40%
450 - 800 miles
10%
Other, specify in response
1%

Total votes : 176

Postby IraRat » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:19 pm

Since I just started building my first TD, I figure I would record all of the miles to Home Depot and Wal-Mart there and back--and then take my first trip for that same mileage.

The way it's been going, I figure I'll be spending my first TD weekend in Beijing.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby traveler » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:02 pm

Last weekend I traveled from LaPine Or to Caldwell Idaho for four days and then went to Spokane then home. Pulled the tear with a Postal Jeep/v6 buick.
Why do anything unless it is fun with your teardrop
traveler
The 300 Club

Postby southpennrailroad » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:57 pm

I camp on three day weekends like this weekend from Traffod, to Breezewoood. 67.0 mile post to Breezewood on Pa. Trpk at mile post 160. + 15 more to camp site. Like having my own private spot on a bike trail on the old turnpike.
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby mandy » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:31 pm

My limit is 3 hours away. Jemez mountains is 120 miles from my house but because of speed limits and twisty roads it takes me 2 hours to get to my favorite spot. To go to Blue Water it is about 200 miles but it takes the same amount of fime because it's right off the interstate. I have driven 700 miles to spend a couple of days in Springfield MO but that was when I was young and stupid. :lol:

Mandy
The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:02 pm

I know that sometimes mileage is the best way to measure but I think time might sometimes be a better measure of how 'far' one is willing to go for a 3 day weekend. This is because the amount of traffic, road conditions, and speed limits can change the distance that one can travel within a few hours.

Also, a 'prize carrot' in the form of an exceptionally great camping place can change how far (both in time and distance) a person is willing to go! If just thinking about it puts a smile on a person's face, they may drive half the night!!! :D
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Dean_A » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:25 pm

My rule of thumb is that any trip has to be a 2-to-1 ratio of relaxing to driving time. So if it's a three day trip I could spend 1 day driving and 2 days relaxing. So that puts me at about 4-6 hours each way for a three day weekend.
Dean_A
Gold Donating Member

Postby Jst83 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:16 pm

I generally stay within the State when camping, and living in central Indiana I can get to all four corners within about 3 hours so that's good for me.
And I still haven't hit all the state parks.
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby stbuch » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:29 pm

I agree with Dean about the ratio of driving to fun. Tommy's back is also only good for about 6 hours at one time no matter how long we have to spend! Funny how age plays such a large part now in travel plans.

Sherrie
Good grief, isn�t it the weekend yet?
Maybe if I sleep in the camper the week
will pass faster�
stbuch
The 300 Club

Postby 48Rob » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:37 pm

Carla and I generally travel over 450 miles for a 3 day weekend. There is a gathering of some sort going on somewhere. So I really don't mind the hard traveling.

While I understand some people HAVE to drive a long way to get to a suitable area, and others ENJOY the driving, this just doesn't make sense to me?

450 miles, at an average of 50 mph actual driving time, has a person driving for 9.5 hours, pretty much the whole day.

So you drive 10 hours, then spend another couple setting up camp, cooking, and whatever.
The next day you "camp" then wake up and drive another whole day.

I guess I can understand the lure if a person enjoys driving just as much as camping, but if you don't, what's the point?

Sure are a lot of people that voted for the "up to 450 miles" option.

Not putting anyone down, just trying to comprehend how camping for one day is worth 19 hours of driving? :? :?

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:02 pm

48Rob wrote:
Carla and I generally travel over 450 miles for a 3 day weekend. There is a gathering of some sort going on somewhere. So I really don't mind the hard traveling.

While I understand some people HAVE to drive a long way to get to a suitable area, and others ENJOY the driving, this just doesn't make sense to me?

450 miles, at an average of 50 mph actual driving time, has a person driving for 9.5 hours, pretty much the whole day.

So you drive 10 hours, then spend another couple setting up camp, cooking, and whatever.
The next day you "camp" then wake up and drive another whole day.

I guess I can understand the lure if a person enjoys driving just as much as camping, but if you don't, what's the point?

Sure are a lot of people that voted for the "up to 450 miles" option.

Not putting anyone down, just trying to comprehend how camping for one day is worth 19 hours of driving? :? :?

Rob

:lol: 8) It's not always the destination---it's the road traveled. And sometimes it is the company at the end of the road. ;)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:28 am

Miriam wrote:

It's not always the destination---it's the road traveled. And sometimes it is the company at the end of the road.

...Well Put! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby canned o minimum » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:16 pm

Well said Auntie M
I travel a LOT to VW car shows from Ca. to Nv. to Az. Next month is a show in Sacramento,Ca. Google maps puts it at 309 miles and 7 hrs 20 min.
I'll take the TD to sleep in and to show it off behind my VW. So I git to camp out AND have a car show !
I'll leave EARLY in the mornin on Sat and the show is on Sun...

The journey is always well worth the destination !

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to SKID in broadside, thoroughly used up,totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...WOW !! WHAT A RIDE !!!
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby darnis » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:34 am

Yeah, half the fun is getting there. We always have our cameras at the ready, and our audio books. As long as we're going, we're happy. If we dawdle too much to reach our destination, we just revise our destination. :lol:
darnis
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:18 am

Having Christopher Columbus syndrome I try to stay in State of Indiana.

(If you go beyond the edge you will fall off the earth , it's flat you know)

We however will and do visit the neighboring states for a good gathering.

Having the new truck has made us a bit braver about longer drives.

I kinda agree with Mike 300 is pushing the limit.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:21 am

Holy Stromboli this thread is over 6 years old who drug this thing back to life ?

( And how did I miss it ? ) :thinking:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

PreviousNext

Return to User Polls