BUY OR BUILD?

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Did you buy your teardrop in camping shape or did you build/renovate yours?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:51 am

I bought it cuz I didn't have time, patience, space, tools to build it or renovate an old one. Besides, the significant other gave me that look when I said I wanted to build.
13%
I wanted to try my hand at building one from scratch or finding one in sad shape and restoring it to its glory.
88%

Total votes : 40

BUY OR BUILD?

Postby Rob » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:51 am

I was talking to a friend who is considering a teardrop. He has seen ours and likes the idea of small on the outside, but roomy on the inside. I'm also trying to convince him to visit the Dam Gathering. Anyway, I was telling him about this odd collection of souls at the T&TTT and got to thinking :thinking: yeah, I know that is a bad thing when I'm thinking. Anyway, how many builders/renovators do we have here versus how many buyers. Since I doubt we'll get everyone to pitch in on this, does anyone want to venture a guess?
Rob
:wine:

:peace:
Rob
500 Club

Postby Podunkfla » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:52 pm

Both... :thumbsup:
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby Jst83 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:11 pm

I bought the stuff to build with :lol:

:twisted: OK maybe I didn't buy all the stuff

Really I'm building because I like the personal feeling of having a one of a kind
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:16 pm

Ha! You think we are an odd bunch of souls huh. :lol: I'm building because I am too cheap to buy and thought it would be cheaper. :R And it still might be if I quit thinking. :lol:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

You know me

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:36 pm

8) Dear Rob,

I'll go with the beg, borrow or steal category......... :R
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby Steve_Cox » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:57 pm

I didn't have any choice the "voices" kept telling me to build a teardrop. 8)
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Jst83 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:31 pm

Miriam C. wrote:Ha! You think we are an odd bunch of souls huh. :lol: I'm building because I am too cheap to buy and thought it would be cheaper. :R And it still might be if I quit thinking. :lol:

I'd have to second that, I thought it would be cheaper. :thinking: I'd hate to think of what I've got in it. I started keeping track of $ but as it grew I thought I'd give that up and just enjoy. Because it's unique it will be worth everything I put into it.
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby SmokeyBob » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:47 pm

I built mine cause I didn't have the $> to buy one.
Pics for Building the Alegria I
To view video click Here

Bob & Judith
SmokeyBob
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Arne » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:55 pm

I built mine... and with what I learned, I am building no. 2..

If I was new to this, had the money, and found something used that really fit my needs, I would have no qualms about buying it.

It takes a lot of time, and if you have to build a second one to get it right (like me), the cost gets up there as well.. there are several brands on the market that people seem quite happy with.. and they are camping while I am building...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby madjack » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:02 pm

Arne wrote:I built mine... and with what I learned, I am building no. 2..

If I was new to this, had the money, and found something used that really fit my needs, I would have no qualms about buying it.

It takes a lot of time, and if you have to build a second one to get it right (like me), the cost gets up there as well.. there are several brands on the market that people seem quite happy with.. and they are camping while I am building...

Arne, you bring up a very valid point...at present there are several VERY nice tears for sale on this board...they are priced at what a top shelf tear would cost to build and would be a very good option for someone to buy and find out what they may or may not like inna tear for a future build...of course then you miss the joy/experience of gorilla glue in your hair and clothes, mistakes with routers/saws/sander, the fact that teardrop time is much slower than anticipated, just how incomplete/needy the stock and emplyees of the box stores are and all the rest of fun things that come along with "rolling" your own...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby doug hodder » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:19 pm

I'm too much of a Scotsman (cheap) to buy one, did buy a tent trailer once, but for me, I've found an immense amount of satisfaction in knowing that I built my own, keeps me out of trouble, I learn new things all the time, and sharpen up on a lot of skills that I can apply to projects down the road...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby bledsoe3 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:10 am

I thought it would be cool to build it my self. As I got into it I found out I didn't have the time, patience, space, tools or skills to do it myself. But it was too late then. I also got that look from my wife too.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby asianflava » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:03 am

My wife says that I have this "urge to build things". We found ourselves looking at campers that didn't fit our needs (too heavy for our tow vehicle) so I decided to build.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:27 pm

I only saw one way.

but if you buy get one that you can change inside to suit our needs other wise you may not have what you really wanted which is what you might have more so if you build.

if you buy you can sell it if you are not happy and start again or build now that you know what was missing.

Ron D.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:19 am

Too Cheap !

I wanted to invest on the installment plan. A piece here and there , a found bargain, Here and there a freebie. It's a hobby not a job enjoy it.

Started my 5'6" x 11 Sunday 4/15 . Don't fall on the floor laughing . A friend gave me 2 dock handrails made of 2 1/2" light gauge square tubing
with just the tongue and axle set off of a 4x8 HF trailer it now rolls and is stuck together. One of my boys is a production welder he has volenteered to clean up my spot and stick welds. I know pictures pictures~~~ I'm still of the 35mm generation have to finish the roll and scan them later.
BUT IT LOOKS GOOD AND DEAD DIE FLAT SIDE TO SIDE!!
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Next

Return to User Polls