Campfires

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

I prefer to camp...

where campfires are allowed
96%
where campfires are not allowed, but briquette or gas cooking is allowed
1%
where only gas cooking is allowed
1%
in RV parks so I won't have to "deal" with the smoke
1%

Total votes : 142

Postby Michael W » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:17 am

I'll take a campfire in the woods over an RV park any day.

Michael W
Teardrop Master

Postby Chris C » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:25 pm

It's not really camping without a nice fire.................properly cared for, of course.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby traveler » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:53 pm

I love a good campfire where everyone can just sit back and enjoy each others company and do the marshmello thing :thumbsup:
Why do anything unless it is fun with your teardrop
traveler
The 300 Club

Postby alffink » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:19 pm

Sorry Guy's, I like the atmosphere provided by a nice campfire, but I normally camp with astronomers and we prefer no lights at all after dark.

Now that British Columbia peat bog sounds enteresting.....? 8)
alffink
Donating Member

Postby SuperTroll » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:20 pm

Want Dark? I spent 8 weeks on Wake Island in the Pacific (Job Related)

when you get thousands of miles from the nearest ambient light source, the night sky is a FIRESTORM of stars.....made the whole trip worthwhile just to lie on the beach at night and stargaze.......
Keep thinking outside the box and all manner of ideas will become reality......

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/alb ... Ul?start=0
SuperTroll
Teardrop Master

Postby alffink » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:22 am

I know exactly where your comming from, I spent a year at a Coast Guard Loran Station back in the sixties, on Johnson Atol.
Probably where the seed was planted, that got me into astronomy in the first place.

Being at sea is rapidly becomming the only place, (comfortable), that you can find truly dark skies.
alffink
Donating Member

Postby Anthony J Grant » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:19 pm

I want to know who the other two people are that voted against fires, :x we need to take away their tear and make them stay at a Comfort Inn or some place else with stained sheets! :twisted:
Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?

Tony G.
the HOBO HILTON
Anthony J Grant
Teardrop Master

Postby caseydog » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:33 pm

We have more burn bans in Texas than we really need to have. I have been to one gathering with a burn ban, and hated it. It was cold in the evening, and no fire to gather around. That same gathering was a flop this year, because of another stupid burn ban. Only two TDs showed up.

Cold weather + burn ban = Caseydog stays home.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby firemaniac » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:41 pm

No fire allowed here, NO problem, I will find somewhere else to camp. although if it is a seasonal hazard thing I can respect that, don't want to explain why the Firefighter started the Forrest on fire :oops: .

When I do have a fire I have a shovel unpacked and nearby ready to be used, and a bucket is a good idea, even better if it already has water in it.
Chris

When in doubt, run in circles, scream, and shout!
firemaniac
Teardrop Master

Postby fpoole » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:31 am

A lot of places, during the summer don't allow fires even in the fire rings. It was beginning to become a PITA so I went out and got me a Propane one.. Not the same, but very doable and I'm glad I got it. I can put it anywhere, even in the kitchen.

Has a lot of heat, just the cost of propane, but worth it IMNSHO.
Hmmmm... don't see where i can upload a pic...
but here's a link to get the idea.

http://www.campchef.com/catalog/item/4/ ... e+Pit.html[/url]
I was going to build one out of various part to make it more life like, but started costing too much...
It works, gives the effect and better than NO campfire, but of course, not as good as have a wood one...
Here's what I mean:

http://picasaweb.google.com/fbpoole/DropBox?authkey=IijM4KPmj0g#5288063834519111922
Last edited by fpoole on Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...just 'Camping Inn' the PNW
Washington Trailer Folks
fpoole
fpoole
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:45 pm

I have problems with smoke but am okay as long as I stay up-wind or am not in a forest fire like we had here this past summer. I agree with the majority that a camp trip isn't a camp trip without a small fire, even if you're only looking at the one built next door. When I think I've had my limit of smoke in my lungs, I go to my 'home' and go to bed, just like people should do when they've had their limit of alcohol. :?

The thing that concerns me is when one's camping neighbors build a huge fire and proceed to chug one beer after another. This is especially a concern when the wind is so strong one's tent wants to fly away. (It happened!) Unfortunately, when the neighbors happen to be eight staggering army privates in combat uniforms, everybody just keeps quiet and says their prayers. If that ever happens again, I hope my hair is a little grayer (Maybe I'll powder it!) so I can wag my finger at them and pinch an earlobe or two! :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Mini Renegade » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:01 pm

The amount of campsites that let you have camp fires over here could be written on a postage stamp :cry:
We throw a couple of logs in the barbecue and plead ignorance if anybody complains.
You can`t have a camp site without a fire in my oppinion.
If evvr tha dus owt fr nowt, allus do it fr thissen
Mini Renegade
500 Club

Postby caseydog » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:24 pm

S. Heisley wrote:I have problems with smoke but am okay as long as I stay up-wind or am not in a forest fire like we had here this past summer. I agree with the majority that a camp trip isn't a camp trip without a small fire, even if you're only looking at the one built next door. When I think I've had my limit of smoke in my lungs, I go to my 'home' and go to bed, just like people should do when they've had their limit of alcohol. :?

The thing that concerns me is when one's camping neighbors build a huge fire and proceed to chug one beer after another. This is especially a concern when the wind is so strong one's tent wants to fly away. (It happened!) Unfortunately, when the neighbors happen to be eight staggering army privates in combat uniforms, everybody just keeps quiet and says their prayers. If that ever happens again, I hope my hair is a little grayer (Maybe I'll powder it!) so I can wag my finger at them and pinch an earlobe or two! :lol:

You may want to avoid LCG4 -- well, actually, most SouthCentral gatherings -- or any gathering with Caseydog, WarPony or Spinnernut on the attendee list. :o

CD :lol:

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:27 pm

Mini Renegade wrote:The amount of campsites that let you have camp fires over here could be written on a postage stamp :cry:
We throw a couple of logs in the barbecue and plead ignorance if anybody complains.
You can`t have a camp site without a fire in my oppinion.

I've been to Yorkshire three times. It seems that it rains a lot and everything is green. Your driest month is like the wettest month in North Texas. Why do they ban campfires?

CD :thinking:

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby B52 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:39 pm

caseydog wrote:
S. Heisley wrote:I have problems with smoke but am okay as long as I stay up-wind or am not in a forest fire like we had here this past summer. I agree with the majority that a camp trip isn't a camp trip without a small fire, even if you're only looking at the one built next door. When I think I've had my limit of smoke in my lungs, I go to my 'home' and go to bed, just like people should do when they've had their limit of alcohol. :?

:

You may want to avoid LCG4 -- well, actually, most SouthCentral gatherings -- or any gathering with Caseydog, WarPony or Spinnernut on the attendee list. :o

CD :lol:

Hey, Danny, hold my beer and watch this............ :beer: :hammerhead:
Jim

Stumble through life; fat, dumb and happy!!
B52
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to User Polls