I learned to first drive in a...

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

I first learned to drive in a

car....... stick 3 on the tree
17%
truck ... stick 3 on the tree
12%
car or truck ... stick 4 on the floor
26%
car or truck ... stick 5 or more on the floor
5%
a farm tractor
15%
in the water driving a motor boat with a steering wheel
3%
car or truck ... with a Automatic
23%

Total votes : 235

Postby Barefoot » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:23 am

As usual with me and these polls, none of the above, since I'm sort of an odd (and old) duck. It was a truck with three on the floor, a 1938 Chevrolet pickup that came with a farm that was then a boys camp where I was a Junior Counselor at fourteen. While it was a farm truck it had never been out of first gear, which had a lot of slack and let out an awesome howl. For the same reason the steering was also really slack, as evidenced by wrinkly fenders. Second gear was like new and we Junior Counselors managed to get to and from the girls camp on Saturday nights. Once, while we (OK, I) was foolishly trying out third gear, the truck left the road entirely, ran up and along a narrow, seven foot high bank on the shoulder, missed an enormous tree it should have hit, and came back down to the road, going more or less in the usual direction. It was a while before I could get my legs to settle down and work the pedals but amazingly none of us had to go back for dry clothes!
Barefoot
Teardrop Master

Postby synaps3 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:29 am

I was "taught" on a 4sp auto Civic.

I really learned on my 5 speed, 4cyl 1.8l 1996 Infiniti G20.

I miss stickshifts. I got the G20 for $2400 in 2002, learned on it, then almost died when a DUI rear-ended me going nearly 60 while I was stopped at a red light.

After that incident, all I could afford was a 5 speed 1998 Civic (due to college), and that was totalled by another accident (again, not my fault).

Tired of nearly dying, I immediately bought an SUV. I wanted a Honda CR-V, and the manual revision is actually MARKED UP in used markets, since so many people want them. I went with an auto, because I found a great deal. I love it, but wish I had a stick still :lol:
-- Dave

Build log: here
synaps3
The 300 Club

Postby neil and ramona » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:18 pm

67 f-100 3 on the tree had a half turn play in sterring and so much play in the shifter that 2nd looked like it was in 3rd :lol: :lol: god i miss those days i was 10
neil and ramona
Teardrop Builder

car

Postby doitright » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:07 pm

My father and I built a bush buggy out of a 59 VW. I have one photo of it and will have to get it scanned. It is a funny photo of the times I am wearing Red white and blue striped bell bottom paints. Boy is that photo funny. Same year in 70 we rebuilt a 64 VW so I would have it when I turned 16. But my brother came back from Korea. I was glad he came back safe and sound and proud to have been able to help him but why my car I worked so hard on. I have never figured that one out. Hell he was the one out of 7 brothers and sisters that had to take three showers a day. And never would get his hands dirty. You all know with a big family the first born was Mommas boy.
doitright
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

Postby Py0tr » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:20 pm

Peugeot 404 Station wagon, my mom's car and a real tank, although probably not by American standards. We called it Sherman for that reason. No power steering and a Fulray floor shifter conversion (The original column shifter died)

Dad took me out into the country and taught me to pull away and change gears in his Chev Nomad (A South African built jeep, with a 2.5 Chev motor) and then mom had to do the mileage with me for the year and a half I was on a learners licence.

I wasn't allowed to look at the gear level when changing gears and I still look out of the driver's window as I change from second to third, 23 year later. It makes me smile and remember my mom, a really awesome teacher. I also always hear her when I accelerate out of corners, "Slow in and fast out," and her other mantra, "Smoothly dammit!" I really miss her some days!
Py0tr
Teardrop Master

Postby Arne » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:30 am

way back when I took driver's ed, we drove a ford with 3 on the column. we had to stop on a hill and start off again up hill without rolling backwards...

But, I really learned to drive b4 that in my driveway in a 1933 model B ford panel truck, which had the back end chopped off and the rear end moved up...

Started it with a crank, and the gas tank was a small metal can screwed to the fire wall. could drive back and forth about 5 minutes, then had to refill the can...

geez, do I feel old....

oh, and back in the 50s, CT had a 'eye glasses required' note on the license if you wore them....

Now kids learn on automatics and go out and have their first accident before they really learn how to drive...

Our highway signs now read: Teen safe driving week. Drive now, call later'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MltNMuNmLA
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Lawnjockey » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:52 pm

A WWII Bedford flatbed in NZ.

Jocko
Lawnjockey
Teardrop Master

Postby legojenn » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:20 am

I learned in a 1979 Chevy Impala.

I loved that car. It was a hand me down from my parents. I think tht I can put my current car in the boot of that.
Jenn
legojenn
The 300 Club

Postby Mightydog » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:32 pm

I learned to drive a 1958 Ford Pick-up with three in the tree.

It would pop out of second gear and hit my girlfriend (now wife) in the knee. Yeah, she was sitting next to me on the big bench seat. She always had a bruise on her left knee. I think it's still there, as a matter of fact. My friends an I used to go everywhere in it. It was pulled out of sand, mud, snow (once I think). I was able to get it stuck everywhere.
Mightydog
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby gregp136 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:11 pm

Chevy Vega....used more oil than gas.

:lol:

Greg(and Laurie)
gregp136
The 300 Club

Postby PapaGene » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:56 pm

Raised on farm, learned to drive on homemade tractor, Model A Ford 4 Cyl,
engine & 3 Speed Trans, International Truck two speed rear axle with tire chains on truck wheels & Tires, front axle, Model A. Car turned upside down, boy was it hard to steer, was 11yrs old, drove family car 36Plymouth 4 Dr, three on floor on country roads until was 16. Took drivers test, officer said you are good driver, the way you handle the car, that parallel park etc but suspect you drive like your dad. Rolling through Stop signs with downshift, cutting your left hand corners, not signalling when pulling out of parallel parking etc. After about 30 Minutes of coaching on rules of road, gave me a book to study, come back next month to try again.
Dad walked up to car about that time, Dad and officer were friends, Offficer told dad that it would probably be a good thing for him to read the book with me.
Scored 98 out of possible 100 on next test. Have been driving some 67 years, one minor accident(was not my fault).

Gene
PapaGene
Gold Donating Member

Postby 1happy » Sat May 22, 2010 4:04 am

I first learnt to drive in a 1958 triumph herald coupe at the age of 8 because it was 100Ks(60miles)to the front gate of our farm to catch the bus to school and my mother was tired of taking me down to the bus every day and boy wasn't it great fun
1happy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby artwebb » Sun May 23, 2010 1:31 am

Learned in my Uncle's 69 Plymouth Fury. Police Interceptor :shock:
On old dirt roads at first, then back country.
My first manual was a 75 Firebird Formula 400 (4 speed of course)
learned to pull trailers (small to medium) in an Astro van.
I am blessed.
I'm not old, I'm Vintage!
artwebb
The 300 Club

Re: I learned to first drive in a...

Postby skline25 » Wed May 09, 2012 7:44 pm

I learned to drive in a 1977 Subaru station wagon and then bought my first truck, a 1954 Willy's flat fender with a flat head 4 cylinder and three different sticks for the transmission and transfer case. Top speed was 40 MPH, but had enough torque to climb a tree. Man I miss that truck.
skline25
Teardrop Inspector

Re: I learned to first drive in a...

Postby Oldragbaggers » Wed May 09, 2012 9:07 pm

My dad taught me in a early 60's model Ford Galaxy 500. My first car was a 1963 Chevy Belair that I bought for $300.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to User Polls