Guts of the matter...hard or soft flooring on the inside?

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

What type of flooring did you use inside your T or TTT? And why?

Hard floor...painted
8%
Hard floor...sealed plywood
28%
Hard floor...laminate
3%
Hard floor...vinyl
31%
Soft floor...carpet
19%
Other...(more creative than me!!!!)
11%

Total votes : 36

Guts of the matter...hard or soft flooring on the inside?

Postby Juneaudave » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:30 pm

I was trying to decide what kind of flooring to put in the SlumberMAX. At first I thought just epoxy and poly the plywood, then I thought vinyl, then I thought painted, then I thought laminate, then I thought carpet and then I thought hull liner like I am using for my interior roof. (nice to be flexible) !!!

What did you use on the floor of your T or TTT? Do you like it? Would you do it differently?...Any problems cleaning, fading, etc?

Inquiring minds want to know??? :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby SteveH » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:45 pm

When I was building mine all sorts of ideas went thru my head about what to do with the floor...just like the options in this poll. Then I thought, whatever I do, it will always be covered with the mattress, so I just sealed the plywood with urethane, and it remains not an issue after four years of use.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby asianflava » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:24 pm

Yep, doesn't matter I don't see my floor unless I remove the mattress.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Esteban » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:57 pm

Good poll. I'm trying to keep my teardrop light so will skip vinyl in sleeping area. Probably will seal plywood floor in sleeping area with epoxy and/or paint. May use vinyl for the galley floor to protect it and dress it up. Time will tell.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:58 pm

I just used a few coats of spar urethane. Lightweight and waterproof too!

mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:17 pm

I had a 5' x 10' (61"x121") sheet of plam (Formica/Wilsonart) on hand and simply glued it down to the plywood floor. It's easy to keep clean and almost bullet proof, who ever sees it anyhow. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Sam I am » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:27 pm

I used self-adhesive vinyl tile because it was cheap and easy to apply. I put it on last so I wouldn't hog it up with glue and varnish during the construction.
Sam I am
500 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:15 pm

Dave...the first one, I did laminate, and get this, mohagany base shoe around it.... :lol: :lol: A whole lot of extra weight and waste of time and money. I get a patch of indoor/outdoor carpet now and I don't glue it down, also I carpet the bottoms of the interior cabinets, keeps things from sliding around...I write the story/facts on the tear floor. If someone pulls the carpet out, they get the story with dates etc.... Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby jdarkoregon » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:42 pm

Doug,

Documenting the story of the teardrop, hummmm, forever on the floor of the teardrop! Great Idea, great idea indeed!

I was going to do a brass engraving, but might consider something like this.

Doug, you just amazed me AGAIN!!!!

John
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby Juneaudave » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:55 pm

doug hodder wrote:Dave...the first one, I did laminate, and get this, mohagany base shoe around it.... :lol: :lol: A whole lot of extra weight and waste of time and money. I get a patch of indoor/outdoor carpet now and I don't glue it down, also I carpet the bottoms of the interior cabinets, keeps things from sliding around...I write the story/facts on the tear floor. If someone pulls the carpet out, they get the story with dates etc.... Doug

You guys are killing me!!! It's really tough for me to commit in the first place...but I've dinked around long enough and I'm moving forward and putting the walls up permanent over Xmas... Yet, here I worry about the flooring...Geee, do I finish the floor before the walls go up or after the walls go up, what kind of flooring, etc. Oh my head hurts...and it isn't even New Years morning.

:? :? :?
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Nitetimes » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:55 am

I used vinyl tile cause that's what 'she' wanted. If it were up to me it would have got polyed or painted, nobody sees it anyway!!!
Last edited by Nitetimes on Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby madjack » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:14 am

...we have done both poly and epoxy coatings...both are fien...don't see much need for vinyl but that is a personal choice thing...since we don't build with a composite floor, I have been thinking about puttin' a inch of pinkRblue sheet insulation under the mattress. I also have access to some 5x8 sheets of closed cell "weatherstripping" type foam(maybe1/4"), that has a rubberized surface on one side and may use some of it under the mattress...this stuff is used to wrap new bumpers in for shipping to autobody repair shops...........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby prohandyman » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:30 am

My mattress is 4" narrower than than the floor, so I took the few pieces of stick-down parquet tiles I had left over from previuos build and lined just the side that is exposed, poly-d the rest.
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bobhenry » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:20 am

prohandyman wrote:My mattress is 4" narrower than than the floor, so I took the few pieces of stick-down parquet tiles I had left over from previuos build and lined just the side that is exposed, poly-d the rest.

I , like Dan , have a couple inches showing but I was lazy and in a hurry so I did nothing. Am I bad ? I quess I should'a sealed it but I had to install the mattress before sealing the front up and was on a deadline. I guess if I ever replace the mattress I outta seal it but I would have to cut the current one up to get it out. For a short term fix I have concidered about 6 pieces of laminet flooring that's in the attic. COME ON SUMMER !
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Gaelen » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:34 pm

The person who started the Sunspot restoration put in a sheet vinyl floor in the living area. Since I can almost stand up in the trailer, that lets me use a cot for a 'seat' during the day, and have a weather-tight, easy-to-clean floor (gotta love a Swiffer...). At night, I can either sleep on the featherbed tri-folded on the cot, or fold up the cot and spread the featherbed out on the floor. When it's wet out and the dogs are wet, I plan to sleep on the cot, up off the floor. But I like having the option when things are dry to fold up the cot and unroll the featherbed on the floor so we can all stretch out.

Yep, a featherbed...got one to be a topper for the futon a couple months ago, and have never slept so well. I'm hooked, and ordered a second one for the trailer!
Gaelen
2006-2011: '79 SunLine Sun Spot
now: '05 Finntec homebuilt teardrop
My blogs: Life Out Loud, Kitchen Jam and Dog Trainer's Log.
Syracuse Dog Training and @gaelen2 on Twitter
Gaelen
500 Club

Next

Return to User Polls