What is your tow speed?

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

How fast do you tow?

Up to 55, to stay alive!
8%
55 to 65
52%
65 to 75
34%
75 to 85
5%
I have Z rated tires on my teardrop!
2%

Total votes : 133

Re: What is your tow speed?

Postby [email protected] » Sat May 12, 2012 11:52 am

I pull my teardrop behind my motorcycle and I love to travel the back roads of America, so I like a speed of 45-55. I can look around, things come at you much slower, & I can react to trafic better. As one who likes to stop for photos, a slower speed is better. I am never in a hurry, as I believe that the trip is as important as the destination.
[email protected]
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bdosborn » Sat May 12, 2012 1:39 pm

doug hodder wrote:Bruce....only people with solar stuff have tires blow out like that.... :lol: Doug

:lol: So that's that's the problem! :crazy: :crazy: :lol:

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Re:

Postby eamarquardt » Sat May 12, 2012 6:09 pm

caseydog wrote:
., this means it will need 37 times more power to go 200 mph than to maintain 60. It boggles the mind.

Yes it does and I thought that the calculations might be a bit off.

Here are some more numbers. Close enough!!!!!!!!!!!

http://phors.locost7.info/phors06.htm

v (mph) 30 55 65 90 120 150 200
F (pounds) 14.5 48.7 68.0 130 232 362 644
horsepower 1.16 7.14 11.8 31.3 74.2 145 344

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Richard A. » Sat May 26, 2012 6:24 am

I tow with a 05 Dodge Caravan with a 3.3 ltr 6 cyl engine and a 4 speed auto tranny.

Acording to the manual .. the 4th speed is overdrive .. and according to the manual .. when you are towing you should lock out 4th so that the tranny is not shifting in and out of overdrive while pulling the extra weight. According to the tach ... overdrive saves me about 500 rpm. So that even if I wasn't towing anything my milage would be less than "normal"

I tow at 55. It does not bother me. I get to where I'm going just fine.
Richard A.
Boston, MA, USA
2008 Little Guy Silver Shadow
Richard A.
Teardrop Advisor

Postby albion2 » Mon May 28, 2012 7:57 pm

bdosborn.I had 2 like that last year.My fault too much air.
albion2
Teardrop Builder

Postby Kody » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:05 am

The speed limit in Australia is 100 kph. In some areas it is 110 kph and in the Northern Territory I think it is 130 kph. These speeds are , 62.5 mph, 68 mph and 80 mph. Where the higher speeds are allowed it is foolish to tow a trailer at the designated speed because of the poor road quality. Most people tow their trailer/TD at around 55 to 58 mph. I tow my boat at a maximum of 58 mph but will drive at 62 if the road is in perfect condition which it usually is not. Australia is noted for the poor road structure we have and only the major Interstate highways are any good. Some of these, particularly in Queensland, are a National disgrace and many lives are lost on these roads. The most common and also the loudest cry from the Government is "we can't afford to fix the roads" so lots people die quickly on our roads.
:thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Kody
Never be afraid to ask questions here, Prov. 11:14
Kody
The 300 Club

Postby Bogo » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:16 pm

Kody wrote:The most common and also the loudest cry from the Government is "we can't afford to fix the roads" so lots people die quickly on our roads.
:thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Kody
Do a survey of the positions, and cost to retrain to replace the dead and see how much it is costing the country in lost productivity. Yeah, I know reducing people to numbers, but sometimes it needs to be done to get the point across.

Just took a look at the overall accident death numbers. You're running at half the rate per population that the USA is, and slightly less per distance travelled. USA roads kill more per month than Australia kills in a year. A breakdown of the causes of death would need to be looked at to see if there is somewhere changes could be made. As an example a survey a number of years ago found that the wavy steel Armco barriers were killing a large number of people a year through collisions with the ends of the barriers. So there has been a push to bury the ends, and eventually replace them with cement barriers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_m ... S._by_year
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_m ... ia_by_year
Bogo
500 Club

Postby legojenn » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:29 pm

Bogo wrote: USA roads kill more per month than Australia kills in a year.

I think that the US has over 13x the population of Australia, so ignoring the other data, it would make sense that more people die on American roads in a month than those who die on Australian roads in a year, notwithstanding the fact that Australians drive on the wrong side of the road.

US 315,045,000
AU 22,859,335

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... population

To get back to the topic, the sweet spot for fuel economy for my car is 90km/h which I think is around 55mph. I don't mind going that slow when two lane roads are my only option like when I go north into the Laurentians or northern Ontario, or south-east to New England or the Adirondacks, but when I have access to autoroutes and interstates, I prefer to at least go the speed limit.
Jenn
legojenn
The 300 Club

Postby GerryS » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:45 pm

I stick to about 5 mph over posted in general. Towing or not. If the weather is degraded, I slow down to whatever is reasonable for the conditions. Brakes on the trailer are a must....when my brakes failed, I dropped to 55....spacing becomes much more critical as braking diminishes.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby gregert12 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:35 am

70-73.

The tow rig is a GMC 2500 Duramax.
gregert12
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to User Polls