Why a TD?

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Why a TD?

What else do you put behind a vintage auto?
4%
Thought they were cute.
8%
Needed some thing small / just didn’t need the space
36%
Wanted to build my own camper
30%
Parents had one so I got one to.
1%
Loved the history behind it.
5%
Other let us know.
16%

Total votes : 207

Why a TD?

Postby benjamin » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:45 pm

I have to ask why a TD? There are so many other options out there with more options and more room. I have one but my 46 coupe won’t pull it so that is why I am building mine. So why did you buy or build yours?
Pop ups are good (99 Coleman) But Tear drops are better!
The trees are talking are you listening?
benjamin
Teardrop Advisor

Just like to build.

Postby Anon 1 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:26 pm

My vote was other. Just love to build. My TD is about 70% done and the hopeful completion date is the 1st of June. I'll never use it as I'm in my 70s and alone, having lost my wife of 40+ years to cancer in 2000. At this time I'm considering donating it to an upcoming Lukemia and Lymphoma Society raffle in her honor. Blessings
Anon 1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Woody » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:32 pm

It just made sense, the size, build it for what you need it for. fun project, etc. etc. And know that it is done, enjoying it
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Arne » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:04 pm

There are few things in life that fit my perfect scenario. First, not too expensive, second, if it sits around, it doesn't cost anything (and I don't feel bad not using it)... 3rd, it's always ready to go.....

A bicycle is a perfect example. A kayak is another. A tear drop trailer is another.

I have a bit of envy for those guys with bigger trailers. But it ends when I see them sitting in their driveways from months at a time. Taxes, insurance, winter maintenance....

Tear Drop? Perfecto.......
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby David Grason » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:16 pm

I can't settle on one vote because the first 6 options all apply.

My mom was cleaning out her attic the other day and found a couple of old slides of the Benroy and the Buick Roadmaster. I was like 2 years old. Mom's been wanting to get them transfered to CD-ROM so as soon as she does, I'll be posting them.

Needless to say both mom and dad are wanting one of my teardrops.
I am NOT a complete idiot! Some of the pieces are missing.
David Grason
Teardrop Master

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:34 pm

I voted "Other."
Two reasons...
1. Getting away from tents/sleeping on the ground.
2. Main Reason... "Instant Outdoor Killer Kitchen!"

Bonus Feature... Less packing/unpacking for camping trips.

Postby Nitetimes » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:41 pm

I guess I had several reasons for this project also. 1. Tired of tenting, everything getting wet, sleeping on the ground(too old) all the setup is a pain. 2. I needed something inexpensive that my wife would like. 3. I really wanted it to be something I could build myself (I'm one of those goofy people that enjoy doing this kind of thing). 4. Figure if I want a different setup or style, I can always sell it and start over. 5. Also wanted something I could tow behind a car or Explorer type vehicle. I have a 32' travel trailer but it requires a large tow vehicle, much more expense and more setup and maintenance than I care to do for a 2 or 3 day weekend at the races.
Besides, I think they are pretty cool too.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby asianflava » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:44 pm

I need something light to tow that wasn't a popup. The towing capicity on our cars isn't very much. The few that I did find that fit the bill, required too many of them (bills that is).
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby TomS » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:23 pm

I had backaches on the last couple of camping trips from sleeping on the ground. I've got a small car that's only 1 year old. I wasn't about to take on loads of debt buying larger car and a trailer that is much bigger than we need. That's crazy. I've got better things to do with my money, like say ... educating my children. All I want is a place to off the ground. Tear drops are a perfect solution. I think of it as a hard-sided tent with wheels.

I decided to build it myslef to save a few bucks. However, now that I've started the project, I find that I actually ENJOY working on it. And, I'm learning things on the way.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby JunkMan » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:32 pm

When the wife and I first saw one, we thought they were cute, and would work and look great behind one of our VW's. That was several years ago, and we kind of forgot about them, and picked up a 35' 5th wheel camper, and a slide in pick-up camper, both of which are very comfortable.

But, now that fuel prices have gone over $2.00 per gallon, and the kids are all grown and gone, we really don't need as much space. The td seems like it might be a great way to save a few bucks when we travel, not to mention they are a great conversation starter (not that I would have anything that is out of the ordinary!).

Of course, we will still keep the 5th wheel, there are times when we really need (or at least want) the room (we're vendors at the Sturgis Motorcycle rally, and the shower alone is worth the expense of keeping the trailer!).

And lastly, I just like odd vehicles. In addition to the Unimog, I have a 1947 Flxible Clipper that I am going to re-build some day, as well as a 1939 Ford shorty school bus, that I think would also make a really neat motor home. Our VW collection includes a Thing, a Karman Ghia, a Single Cab pick-up, several bugs, from 1956 thru 2000, and a Super Beetle convertible.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby Steve Frederick » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:12 pm

Bad back.. :( Wanted off the ground...Love to build stuff...Teardrops are cool!! 8) 8)
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby TonyCooper » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:24 pm

The wife and I enjoy traveling topdown in our miata. Can't pull much with a miata except a teardrop.
Tony

My Tear Build Site

"No comment"
TonyCooper
Official Pot Stirrer

Postby gardenwood » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:02 am

We've gone the travel trailer route several times. Always regret it after buying a big trailer with all the fancy gadgets. Just doesn't seem like camping. This time we decided we were too old to sleep on the ground and didn't want to spend the money for a pop up.

Roger and Lois
gardenwood
Teardrop Advisor

Postby darkroomsource » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:18 am

Other:
Off the ground sleeping, and don't have to pack and unpack every trip.
-- Andy Hughes
My Teardrop
<><
Grace Happens
darkroomsource
Teardrop Advisor

Father Daughter Project

Postby larryl » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:23 am

My daughter watched the RV Crazy segment on Tears. We thought it would be a great team project. Just beginning our 5X8 modified Cubby.

Great site.

Larry
larryl
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to User Polls