Medal of Honor

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Is it OK to Disrespect our Hero's?

Yes
No votes
No
100%
Sometimes
No votes
The Commander and Chief owes them nothing
No votes

Total votes : 17

Postby Elumia » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:44 pm

Greg,

Because of the explosion of news outlets, blogs and chain emails, we have to learn to separate the wheat from the chaff ourselves. Like the old saying, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. Consequently, when you read a news story/email that reinforces your opinion on a subject, you would be well served to get out your BS meter and determine where that story sits on the scale, and who's agenda it is serving.

While you said you read this on a legitimate news source, sometimes the "legitimate" news sources leave out information. If you questioned the story, all you had to do was google "Obama snubs medal of honor". When the first 10 entries were from "conservative" blogs, well that just got my BS meter up. If it was from 10 "progessive" blogs, the meter just would have pointed the other way for me. Either way I search out other positions in order to get a better handle on the subject, and then try to form my own opinion.

The way you worded your poll question, it is clear to me you don't think much of Obama. That's OK. But, before you or anyone pushes the Limbaugh (or Olberman) agenda around the electronic ether, it is good (and easy) to do a little reality check with our friend google.

It's like your Jefferson quote. It was sent to me by a friend who often likes to fill my inbox with "information". I just typed it into google and found it to be a spurious quote. Now when he sends things my way, he notes that he hasn't checked out if it is accurate, just that he finds it interesting. As I tell my kids, don't believe everything some one tells you.

Mark
Elumia
500 Club

Postby greg755 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:19 pm

Mark.

After looking up papers at the Library of Congress I have changed my signature to reflect 2 quotes from Jefferson.

Although the original quote may have been a compilation/recap of various quotes, I have decided to put in actual quotes which mean pretty much the same thing.

So thanks for the education.

As far as Obama goes, just as all Presidents before him, he doesn't have the real power , but he is in the "coach/talking head/in charge" so to speak, so he gets the blame or accolades depending on how things turn out.

Mark siad:

While you said you read this on a legitimate news source, sometimes the "legitimate" news sources leave out information. If you questioned the story, all you had to do was google "Obama snubs medal of honor". When the first 10 entries were from "conservative" blogs, well that just got my BS meter up. If it was from 10 "progessive" blogs, the meter just would have pointed the other way for me. Either way I search out other positions in order to get a better handle on the subject, and then try to form my own opinion.

So I am a little confused, if a Conservative says it, it is BS? But if if a Liberal says it the meter goes towards the truth?

Google is not the end all be all, you still have to find a reputable source.

I am not pushing anybody's agenda.

I am concerned about the state of this country.

I am not into teams.

When the Republicans were in charge I had plenty to say, now that the Democrats are in charge, I'm sure I will have plenty to say....

At this point in the relationship, you are correct Mark, I am not to pleased with the decisions that our leaders are making in this point in time.
"It is a cruel thought, that, when we feel ourselves standing on the firmest ground in every respect, the cursed arts of our secret enemies, combining with other causes, should effect, by depreciating our money, what the open arms of a powerful enemy could not." --Thomas Jefferson to Richard Henry Lee, 1779. ME 4:298, Papers 2:298
greg755
Grand Poobah

Postby Elumia » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:49 pm

no, my meaning is that MY BS meter should read in the middle and one extreme points one way, the other extreme just points the opposite way.

You are correct, google does not provide an opinion, just sources - and usually the most popular ones. I typically use Yahoo, but the results are similar.
Elumia
500 Club

Postby packerz4 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:20 pm

i like home built campers and vintage camping stuff.

tk

:roll:
~ Go Packers! ~
www.2bagalot.com
packerz4
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:03 pm

...let's see, he attended the 10 "official" balls...made it home just before daylight...was up and going a couple of hours later...so, much ado about nothing...tempest inna teapot...big whup...a lot of right wingers that are simply pissed that they haven't a clue...much as was done to Clinton and later Howdy Doody...errr, make that Bush(who should have been impeached at least 4 years ago)...the above are all PERSONAL opinions and not meant to knock anyone here...by the way, I voted for RON PAUL... ahhhh for the good ol'daze of Ronald Reagan :D ;)
madjack 8)

p.s. my apologies for making such blunt political statements...which is why we(admins) do not encourage poolitical postings...MJ

p.s.s. I didn't vote in the poll since it seemed to be designed specifically to induce a skewed anti Obama result...MJ

p.s.s.s. personally, I cringed when I saw this thread...I hope it disappears quickly.............MJ
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby satch » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:35 pm

It all depends on what you a hero. Some may think a person should be honored, others prosecuted.
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Postby greg755 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:57 pm

MadJAck,

I think political comments are pretty important and I don't think that a political thread falls out of the boundaries of "General Discussions, Off topic or user polls.

Nobody is out of hand. Every one has an opinion and so far they have expressed their thoughts without throwing anyone under the bus.

Gee Beav, the off color jokes on humor of the day doesn't bother anybody, but we have to take off the "dancing rats'?

I made a comment to a thread in a joking manner and the lady I who's post I commented on said I made her feel stupid. I certainly had no intent of making her feel stupid, but it happened.

I guess some people can getaway with a joke and some people can't...

Today seems to be my day in the barrel...

I gues the point I am trying to make is that some things make sense to me other things do not. I wonder if the people on the other side of the coin are saying the same thing.

I think we all try to say what we want, trying not to offend anyone.

Your example is perfect, you were blunt and it didn't bother me at all, will it bother someone else? Will they take it personally?

This I can not know, but if I were a betting man I would bet that Yes, someone will take it personally.
"It is a cruel thought, that, when we feel ourselves standing on the firmest ground in every respect, the cursed arts of our secret enemies, combining with other causes, should effect, by depreciating our money, what the open arms of a powerful enemy could not." --Thomas Jefferson to Richard Henry Lee, 1779. ME 4:298, Papers 2:298
greg755
Grand Poobah

Postby sid » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:58 pm

I think your poll is way out of line and should be removed. The question should never have been asked among this group.

Speaking as a veteran, this has no place on a teardrop forum.

Come on admins.... get a pair.
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:17 pm

sid wrote:I think your poll is way out of line and should be removed. The question should never have been asked among this group.

Sid, I agree completely and my first thought when I saw this thread was to pull it, but after years of doing this job, I have been burned many times by pulling a thread and pissing off more folks than were offended by the thread...SO, until someone pulls a knife, a gun or a bomb, it will probably stay...at least for little while.........
madjack 8)
Last edited by madjack on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby starleen2 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:17 pm

I'm glad i read the article - But I don't have an opinion either way - Just wanted to read it and know what it was before this thread disappeared!
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby mk10108 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:21 pm

I'm a vet, have no problem with the poll, didn't vote it, enjoyed Elumia detailed response (I hold your flank anytime) and Greg755's recognition of the mis-quote and his correction. Every MH recipient I know wears it for the fallen, not themselves or a President.

Our common ground is we build trailers and our character. Keep the thread...discourse is good.

Sun is coming up in the morning and I'll brush a second coat on my deck.
mk10108
Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:10 am

sid wrote:Snip snip snip......

:thinking: :oops:

Ok guys it is a poll if you don't like it ignore it. If it had been posted anywhere else I would have pulled it. I did think I would leave it up so the other side of the story could be told.

Nothing wrong with thoughtful---informative conversation.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby caseydog » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:28 am

Mike Angeles wrote:what did you hope to find out with the results?

The poll question is loaded -- kinda like asking, "Yes or no, do you still beat your wife?"

Any answer you give to greg755's poll basically supports the claim that Obama disrespected the medal recipients -- and his obvious disdain for our current President.

Thanks, Elumia, for the fact check. :thumbsup:

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:32 am

greg755 wrote:Just seems that the last time we came unglued and held a president responsible for his actions was when Nixon got out of line.

Since then we just go with the flow, hold no one accountable, and as time goes on seem to just be ok with this type behavior.

Are we are on a slippery slope, with regards to our values and morals?

I seem to recall some other president being impeached -- something about oral sex from an intern. :thinking:

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby sid » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:39 am

sid wrote:I think your poll is way out of line and should be removed. The question should never have been asked among this group.

Miriam... if you are going to quote me at least get it right, and don't add things to it or take things away from it.

You think snip, snip, snip.... but, how many years did you spend in the military?

Enough said from me..... bye.

MadJack, I disagree with you thoughts on running this forum.
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to User Polls