Minimalist or everything but the kitchen sink?

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

When you pack up to go, what is your style?

Minimalist--I take only what is necessary.
21%
Everything but the kitchen sink.
8%
Used to take too much, but have streamlined.
15%
If I might need it and have a handy spot for it, I take it.
47%
Travel partner and I have different styles.
9%

Total votes : 66

Minimalist or everything but the kitchen sink?

Postby tearhead » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:41 pm

I've noticed a big range of packing styles in the forum. Some take very little--matches, a flashlight, and a jacknife. Others take loads of stuff. Still others take it if they might need it and they can find a nifty spot to carry it. What's your style?
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby honeask » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:50 pm

Tearhead,
Although we don't have a teardrop, YET, we do go places quite a bit. Tent camping and cabin visits and usually we take several things but what I usually take too much of is amusement items, like books or knitting stuff. We stay busy so some of that stuff goes unused. Hopefully I will learn better packing for a teardrop. :lol:
Sandy

We're not here for a long time, just here for a good time.
The stars at night are big and bright, (clap) (clap) (clap) (clap) DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS.
honeask
Donating Member

Postby Big Dan » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:42 pm

I try to take only what I need. But if I'm not sure about something I'll make room for it. Depends on the situation. Its always good to have options. When backpacking I stoped when the pack was full. With the tear it will be trial and error
"Happiness is only real when shared" Alexander Supertramp
Big Dan
The 300 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:25 am

I checked minimalist but that is highly misleading :D
When the teardrop has it all built in i.e. water heater, solar panel, stereo, TV... the decisions are will I be hooked up to shore power, will the campsite have enough sun so the generator be left at home, will it be cool enough I can leave the AC home will we be boondocking and do I need to bring the water tanks to supplement what is already on board...
I realize that folks pride themselves on doing with out, and we did that for 30+ years using the 60+year old Coleman lantern and Preway three burner stove with a succession of tents.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby 48Rob » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:57 am

I clicked the "if I might need it" button, but you need to have one that says everything including the kitchen sink.
I'd have clicked that one! :lol:

For me as well, minimalist camping was something I did when younger, traveling across the country may times, with my thumb out, a very small back pack, and usually no money.

The years of experience doing without is great training for hard times, but also good motivation to decide what you want from life, and then enjoy it.

I don't take every gadget known to man, but enough that the memories of sleeping in restrooms and under bridges remains in the past.
Comfortable bed, a hot shower, warm food, and general entertainment are what I take.
It may not qualify as camping, but it is comfortable for touring the country. :relaxing:

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:05 am

Where is the everything INCLUDING the kitchen sink button ?

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby parnold » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:51 am

With a Hyundai as a TV, I can't take everything I want. I have to leave my Playstation home. :(
parnold
Donating Member

Postby oklahomajewel » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:12 am

After teardropping for the last 3 or 4 yrs, I have learned what I really used and needed and didn't. I found that I do like having everything in the tear , and not hauling stuff out of the car trunk.

Same thing with what I pack in the ice chest. I don't carry regular size condiments anymore but actually found some little travel size refillable shampoo type containers but they work great for enough mustard, ketchup or mayo for a weekend.

Lots of different things have influenced the rebuild.

the Jewel
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Big Dan » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:17 pm

oklahomajewel wrote:

Same thing with what I pack in the ice chest. I don't carry regular size condiments anymore but actually found some little travel size refillable shampoo type containers but they work great for enough mustard, ketchup or mayo for a weekend. the Jewel
<<<That is a good idea jewel.It would save alot of space for more food or more ice and for some people, a beer or two :lol:
"Happiness is only real when shared" Alexander Supertramp
Big Dan
The 300 Club

Postby oklahomajewel » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:42 pm

Big Dan wrote:
oklahomajewel wrote:

Same thing with what I pack in the ice chest. I don't carry regular size condiments anymore but actually found some little travel size refillable shampoo type containers but they work great for enough mustard, ketchup or mayo for a weekend. the Jewel
<<<That is a good idea jewel.It would save alot of space for more food or more ice and for some people, a beer or two :lol:

Of course, if I know I'm making food for more people or deviled eggs or baked beans and need more , then I know to bring more of something.

and my simple excel camplist checked before every trip assures that I haven't run out of or forgotten something.
(email me if you want a copy oklahomajewel at hotmail dot com )
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby caseydog » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:15 pm

I try to take just what I need, plus the basic stuff that is always in the TD or tongue box. I like to be able to set up a take down quickly and easily.

I also hate unpacking and cleaning up a lot of stuff when I get home. If I don't bring it, I don't have to deal with it when I get back home.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby tearhead » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:51 pm

Realized I hadn't voted myself yet! I had to pick "Travel partner and I have different styles." Fortunately, not THAT different, but I'm more of a minimalist and Mark's more of a, "Oh, we have a spot, I'll just throw this thing in." Then it's in the way. And normally we don't use it.

But we have managed to stay married for 38 years. :roll:
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:36 pm

tearhead wrote:Realized I hadn't voted myself yet! I had to pick "Travel partner and I have different styles." Fortunately, not THAT different, but I'm more of a minimalist and Mark's more of a, "Oh, we have a spot, I'll just throw this thing in." Then it's in the way. And normally we don't use it.

But we have managed to stay married for 38 years. :roll:

Pat,

How does this make you feel? :thinking:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:52 pm

I have a strong "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it" streak. But I'm realizing that if I really need it and don't have it, I can often buy one locally, or have FedEx next day it to me almost anywhere.

So I have scaled back more toward minimalism, but not all the way, there's still stuff that doesn't get touched for multiple trips.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Jst83 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:59 pm

I wind up taking way to much, I'm trying to ,ake my self cut back on my packing but haven't managed to well cause then I tend to forget way to much.
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Next

Return to User Polls