Getting to work if gas hits $5.00 a gal?

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

How will you get to work, if gas hits $5.00 a gallon?

Walk.
3%
Quit work.
10%
Ride a bycycle.
9%
Buy a motorcycle.
12%
Take public transportation.
5%
Car pool.
6%
Devil be damned, gas 'er up and go! (While crying)
56%

Total votes : 108

Postby parnold » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:28 pm

When I was hired by my present employer, which is 35 miles from my house, I left a job that was 3 miles from my house. The deal I cut was that they pay my gas. They estimated 70 miles per day, at 20 miles per gallon, and gave me a gallon allowance. I went and bought a car that gets 30 miles per gallon, so in the last 5 years I have personally paid for one tank of gas when I went to Delaware last year. I'll have to pay for the gas to Indiana this year too, it will exceed my allowance.

With the current price of gas, I'm thinking I lucked out with the deal I made.
parnold
Donating Member

Re: Getting to work if gas hits $5.00 a gal?

Postby Bikerman » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:24 am

Hey Slowcowboy, higher gas prices will be paid by everyone you do work for, they know suff will cost more and they expect it I'd say, shouldn't take much of a sales pitch to say, "well, because of these gas prices I'll have to have $XX.00 more to make the same thing I was".....what are they going to do, let the hay rot? Don't worry about it, what goes around comes around!

I voted to grin and bear it. Since I'm retired I don't go to work. My bike takes premium, the 1600 gets about 22mpg I guess, depends on how I ride it, my dual sport bike gets about 50mpg, if I stay under 70. But I'm also not going to ride in the rain or when it's really hot or when it gets too cold! Doesn't leave much riding time does it?

Yep, prices are manipulated along with demand. Three years from now we'll be talking about $6 a gallon for gas. :cry:
Bikerman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rowerwet » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:58 pm

makes me love my new '12 focus, 40 mpg! now if I could just escape the nightmare that the country voted to repeat. I hope to have a job in four years... :worship:
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby DriverOne » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:41 am

Ford Festiva. 41mpg. Gas is currently $2.88 in my area due to the explosion of Quik Trips. I work 5 miles away, and go to school 2 miles away. That's 38 miles a week, and 2.5 months per fill-up. I feel blessed to get this kind of fuel mileage. At $5/gal, I'll still afford to continue driving, but to be entirely honest, I'll probably ride my bike on the good days.

It's food that kills us. My wife and I pay almost $300/wk for food. It makes me want to cry when I see the prices. I work hard, and my wife works hard. At $1000/wk, we're still in the negatives by the time the necessities are paid for.
Image There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!" Image
DriverOne
Teardrop Master

Postby legojenn » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:13 am

Gas is $1.25/L here, so it's close to the equivalent of $5.00/gallon. Life goes on and people will continue to do what they have always done.
Jenn
legojenn
The 300 Club

Postby droid_ca » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:24 am

we are at $1.39 a liter which works out to $5.26 a gallon
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby E. Aaron Scott » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:51 am

I have a round trip of 50 miles per day. A few years back we look at getting a motorcycle and after comping up with all of the extra costs we figured that it would take about 5 years to recover the cost from the gas savings. I just about had my wife talked into it anyway and then she started remembering how I used to ride when I was a teen and flatly said no. (I guess that is the chance you take for spending most of your life with someone lol) In my job I do not get any raises nor will I receive one in the foreseeable future. I don't make much, just about $10.00 an hour. So when the raised minimum wages a few years ago, the value of the money I earn went down quite a bit. My wife can't work because we have a special needs son that needs nearly constant attention. I work in security and a few years ago a disgruntled employee came to work and bad stuff happened and I ended up getting my back messed up pretty bad. The doctors keep on saying that I need to be put on disability, however other then a few added aches and pains, I do not feel like I am disabled and will continue to work for as long as I can. On the side I write books, do woodworking, lawn work (If I can still do that stuff with no problem then I am not disabled) to earn extra money. We do what we can to save any money that we can. We do realize that money does not buy happiness and we are proof of that. While everything gets more expensive, we always manage to get by. We get everything that we need and save up to get what we want. I grew up in an abusive family and spent most of my childhood living on the streets, and my wife grew up in Germany just a few blocks from the Berlin Wall. So we both know from experience that regardless of how bad things can be, there is always someone else that has it a lot worse then us. So we spend a great deal of time helping out those less fortunate then us, even though we struggle ourselves. However we are happy with our lives, and we are thankful the we live in American and we live in the greatest state in the union. Everywhere we look we see new oil wells being drilled by the dozens. As I write this I can see 7 new oil wells being drilled and I'm just a few miles from down town Oklahoma City. So perhaps the future does not look so gloomy after all.
-Aaron KF5VBV
E. Aaron Scott
Teardrop Builder

Postby wagondude » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:30 pm

A couple of years ago, when everyone was up in arms about $4.00 gas, I ran a quick guestimation of the cost to fuel my Z71 Silverado vs. buying something more efficient. I came to the conclusion that with my (then) eight mile commute that I would need to double my fuel economy AND gas would have to excede $5.00 just to break even on the payment I would have to take on. About six months later My employer consolidated my job to a location 30 miles from home. While I got a raise, the truck would have burned more than the raise for the drive. Suddenly, it made more sense to change vehicles. You have to take much more than just the cost of fuel into consideration before making the decision. To double in town milage would have required a very expensive newer car (likely a hybrid). Doubling the highway milage was much easier to accomplish.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rowerwet » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:14 pm

slowcowboy wrote:maybee wood gasifcation or electric! maybee burn cow pattys to make the gas to drive to work in a wood gasification car conversion?

who knows.

right now getting work is walk out of the house to the corral for me.

slow
slow, you've got to figure out how to burn cow pies in a steam boiler, with the amount of "free" fuel around you could drive for free. The only downside being the frequent stops to refuel, AND I'm sure the tax man would want to hit you for all the gas you weren't buying...
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby dguff » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:28 pm

The cost of gasoline has DROPPED here in Humboldt County by nearly $1 per gallon over the past few months. Now down to about $3.85. Isn't the price dropping elsewhere in the country? :?

Jerome
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Postby logman7777 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:31 pm

Im looking at a 2400 mile commute until I sell the house. :( ... Fortunately it will only be 2 times a month..

Glad I kept my Subaru! :D
Coleman Keepers 200A Gang
Green Lantern Corpsmen
High Wide and Handsome Probationary Member
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Postby Vindi_andy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:11 am

dont know what you guys are complaining about we are over $10 a gallon over here :x :?
Boys never grow in to men the toys just get more expensive and more dangerous

How true :)
Vindi_andy
Teardrop Master

Postby jmkjr72 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:58 am

i would fire up the scooter
its a tough choice to take the
yamaha zuma or the genuine stella
the zuma has been converted to liquid cooling and has a larger bore and stroke and regeared so even thought its plated as a moped it should hit 70 mph
the stella is based off of the old 2 stroke 4 speed shifty vespas and has been upgraded to 180cc and it will go 70+
jmkjr72
Teardrop Builder

Postby rowerwet » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:14 am

Vindi_andy wrote:dont know what you guys are complaining about we are over $10 a gallon over here :x :?
but how much of that is taxes for all the "free" stuff your govt. "gives" people
the US govt. takes 18 cents/gal the oil co makes about 8 cents/gal, the rest goes to Canada and Mexico oil co's mostly. In the rest of the world the big profit goes to middle east, african, and Russian oil co's most owned by the govt. one way or an other.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby logman7777 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:54 pm

Fed takes 18 cents, NJ takes around 30 cents, NJ also takes an EPA something or or other fee so we can drink our water without waiting for it to settle :R
Coleman Keepers 200A Gang
Green Lantern Corpsmen
High Wide and Handsome Probationary Member
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to User Polls