Trouble Setting Up 10x10 Canopy

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

height challenged
29%
mechanically challenged
14%
other physical limits
43%
canopy attachment
7%
all of the above
7%

Total votes : 14

Postby azmotoman » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:31 am

I have noticed a few posts from people that feel the EZ-UP canopy setup can be a daunting task for one person.

I am 6'0" with about an 8' reach (on my toes) and have found it quite easy to set up our 10x10 canopy. We leave the canopy attached to the frame and store it that way. Within 10-15 minutes, I can have the entire structure erected (without the walls), staked out and ready to use.

I am FAR from mechanically challenged, but do have physical limitations that I manage to work around.

My question is this: Many people have complained about it taking more than one person to set up these shelters, so, why is this?

1) height challenged
2) mechanically challenged
3) physical limitations (not height related)
4) I don't leave the canopy attached in storage
5) all of the above

Yes, I know it can be easier when you have help, but the task has proven to be fairly simple when I am alone or just don't wish to bother anyone else with setting up MY camp.

Ideally, 4 people could set up a 10x10 in about 60 seconds. They really are that easy. However, we are all individuals and have our own set of circumstances. It would interest me to read some of these and what you ALL come up with for answers as a 'work-around' to help those that are experiencing difficulties.

THX,
Me-n-Lee
(azmotoman)
Money isn't everything, but it keeps the kids in touch!
Dinero isn' ¡t todo, pero él mantiene el interés de los niños!
azmotoman
Silver Donating Member

Postby TheBizMan » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:39 am

My only problem is getting the corner locked on the first leg.
Lee - TheBizMan sez
Teardrops make for happy camping
ImageImage
TheBizMan
Gold Donating Member

Postby chorizon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:08 pm

N/A...sorry, 6' 3" and no problem...

I too, leave the canopy attached.

Makes setup a whole lot easier.
I don't think some folks know the instructions actually say that is what you're supposed to do... :thinking:
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

EZ-UP made easy.......!!!

Postby proformance » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:46 pm

I've been setting up EZ-UPS on my own for 15+ years. 10x10s are extremely easy.

My method:

I leave the canopy on.

Stand the collapse EZ-UP up, and pull one of the corner legs out about 2 feet while shaking vigorously and while lifting to prevent the two adjacent legs from catching/binding against the ground.

Then follow the same procedure with one of the two adjacent corner legs, lift, shake and pull out a few feet.

Next, I step under the EZ-UP and lift straight up on the center while shaking aggressively. I lift high enough to lift all four legs off the ground allowing the canopy to expand out fully. (again, shake while lifting)

I then walk around the canopy and lock each of the four upper corners into place.

Then I lift up on a single corner/leg (lifting about 2-feet of the ground) and use my right foot to push the leg extension out until the extension latches into position. I work my way around to each of the four legs, lifting fully off the ground and using my foot to push the extension out.

Note: Many people struggle with the leg extensions because they first put their foot on the base and then lift the corner. This is a significantly more difficult method because with this method, the leg extension binds in the corner tube. If you lift the corner tube (1-2 feet off the ground,) then use your foot to push the extension out, the extension will not bind.

I set my EZ-Up up in less than 2-3 minutes, plus stakes.

(Also, if every once in a while you use a little spray silicon lubricant on the leg extensions, it will help.)
proformance
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:54 pm

:thinking: Pro, I am going to have to try that. Mine is hard for me mostly because I am short I can barely reach the top corners much less the middle when fully expanded. :(
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:10 pm

Here's a trick I learned from my late wife who had to set up an EZ-Up by her self frequently.

Stake down one corner of the frame and work out from there. That allows you to expand the frame from one diagonal corner by yourself.

I use a 2" masonry nail if I'm on asphalt, or a straight tent stake if on soft ground. A masonry nail will go through a penny if an impromptu washer is required :D

I'm trying to figure where to carry my EZ-Up frame. Right now it's on the roof rack of my TV.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:00 am

I set up my EZ-Up single handed, a little silicone spray on the sliding parts helped. I have some really big galvanized nails for anchors and I stake one corner down before opening. Makes it EZ 8)
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby proformance » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:11 pm

Miriam C. wrote::thinking: Pro, I am going to have to try that. Mine is hard for me mostly because I am short I can barely reach the top corners much less the middle when fully expanded. :(

With my method, even a short person should have no issues. When I start to push up from under the center, the center is only a few feet off the ground. As the center raises, I push straight up with my arms while standing. The trick to reducing the struggle to get the top of the corners latched, is to ensure the frame fully expanded when lifting from the center. A fully expended frame will take the bind off the corners reducing the effort necessary to latch the corners.

My wife is 5' 1" and is able setup on her own.
proformance
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Richard A. » Mon May 16, 2011 10:29 am

A single person can erect one of these canopies, however two people can do it MUCH easier and faster.

For two ... set the folded canopy on the ground and pull one leg to get it open a few feet (easier to lift to prevent the adjacent legs from dragging)

THEN get both folks on opposite sides and grasp the metal frame (not the leg) on each side of the center joint ... and LIFT and SEPERATE (some brands have labels on the frame for this .. one says OPEN, the other CLOSE .. I think the OPEN labels are on the lower portion of the frame) .. the tent will easily open to 95% of full. Then just pull out fully and lock each leg .. then extend each leg to desired height.

The hard part about doing it yourself is that you need to keep walking around to each leg .. pulling it out slightly .. doing each about three times (or more) before you can lock them down. THEN .. moving the tent into desired position is also a pain (again, much easier if at least two people do this)
Richard A.
Boston, MA, USA
2008 Little Guy Silver Shadow
Richard A.
Teardrop Advisor

Postby caseydog » Mon May 16, 2011 11:04 am

I did a quick search on YouTube and found a number of videos on setting up a shelter.

Here is how I prefer to do it with two people...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJwO2ZKeDaI

And here is how I do mine by myself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUthO7Tf ... re=related

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon May 16, 2011 11:24 am

A question for those that leave the canopy on ........

When standing under the canopy and looking to the sun can you see tiny pin holes in the material ?

Any dripping problems in the rain ?

Some folks complain they start to leak because of the "mouse bites" in the nylon from pinching the material in the hinges.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Richard A. » Mon May 16, 2011 12:11 pm

caseydog wrote:I did a quick search on YouTube and found a number of videos on setting up a shelter.

Here is how I prefer to do it with two people...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJwO2ZKeDaI

And here is how I do mine by myself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUthO7Tf ... re=related

CD

Yes, that's how I was trying to explain (as far as two people) Once you've figured it out, and done it a few times, it becomes VERY easy.

As far as a single .. well, there are different types of pop-ups with different frame designs .. not all of them that will allow that particular type of assembly.

Also, as a tent gets older often the hinges don't work as easily as when new.
Richard A.
Boston, MA, USA
2008 Little Guy Silver Shadow
Richard A.
Teardrop Advisor

Postby planovet » Mon May 16, 2011 2:28 pm

chorizon wrote:N/A...sorry, 6' 3" and no problem...

I too, leave the canopy attached.

Makes setup a whole lot easier.
I don't think some folks know the instructions actually say that is what you're supposed to do... :thinking:

6'3" here also and no problems.

I have found at most gatherings someone is always in the area offering to help when I put mine up. I could do it myself (or with Cindi's help), but who am I to refuse a helping hand?

I prefer to take the canopy off each time to prevent any possibility of leaks. May not be what I'm "supposed" to do but it works for me.
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby bobhenry » Tue May 17, 2011 7:36 am

I with ya on this one Mark mine comes off each time it is stored also !

4th season and it's good as brand new ! 8)
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Arne » Tue May 17, 2011 3:29 pm

2 people can set it up easily. Don't use the corners. Grab it in the middle on opposing sides and pull the scissors together and walk apart... very easy.

1 person, a pita...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Next

Return to User Polls