how do you charge your battery

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

I charge my T or TTT battery by

Solar (sun or wind)
13%
tow veh.
20%
Charger to any AC line
61%
No battery I am totally wired to the tow Veh.
No votes
I use little nicads in individual items (put in charger as needed)
No votes
on board generater
7%
I have a exersize bike hooked to a altenater
No votes
I shake the battery and it recharges ( could not resist it [oneday] )
No votes

Total votes : 46

how do you charge your battery

Postby Ron Dickey » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:37 pm

well how do you?
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Chris C » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:42 pm

I haven't built my tear yet, Ron, but plan to install an on-board charger. Would love to have a solar charger, but WHEW$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby Michael W » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:55 pm

The LuxoTear's deep cycle battery is charged by the tow vehicle while on the road or by a hard-wired, built in three-stage charger when connected to shore power.

Michael W
Teardrop Master

Postby Arne » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:29 pm

I use a battery tender smart charger... at home, I have tear under a car port with a permanent plug in... at campgrounds, charge it if I can, else it lasts for several days with lights, etc. (never ran it down, so don't know how long it would last)...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby len19070 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:26 pm

I charge my battery with a hot wire from my Tow Vehicle. I can't see why more people don't do this. You NEVER have to worry about a charged battery. When you drive to your Camping area, you get there...and its charged. Simple. If your battery goes dead while your camping, just plug it into the tow vehicle and run it for 20-30 minuets. Your back in business.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Battery Charging

Postby PaulC » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:23 pm

Hi Ron, Even though my tear is'nt finished yet, I have incorporated solar, AC and generator charging capabilities. I'm one of these people who like to try and cover all bases.
Paul :thinking:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Joseph » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:20 am

Hey Len,
len19070 wrote:I charge my battery with a hot wire from my Tow Vehicle. I can't see why more people don't do this.

Couldn't agree more, though I suspect many are daunted by running that 10 gauge wire. It's not a particularly pleasant job, but it certainly isn't that difficult. I ran it straight from the battery to the plug (I used a six-pin connector) and put a 30 amp fuse in a pull-apart holder next to the battery so I can pull it when I'm not pulling the trailer. That way the wire doesn't stay hot when it's not in use.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby Michael W » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:58 am

The method Joseph describes will work and is certaintly the simplest way to make this connection, however it does carry a bit of risk. If you forget to disconnect the tow vehicle's battery when at your destination, you will be drawing current from both the trailer's on-board battery and the tow vehicle's battery. This could potentially leave you with a two dead batteries if not careful. To avoid having to remember to break the connection every time, you can use add a constant use solenoid to the tow vehicle's trailer charge wire circuit. The charge wire connects to the large lugs on the solenoid, the smaller lug connects to any circuit that is hot when the ignition is on. This way, the charge circiut is open any time the key off preventing accidential drain of the tow vehicle's battery.
Here is a photo of a constant use solenoid. Note that it looks like a regular starter solenoid, but it is different. Starter solenoids are designed to be energized for only short durations. Constant use solenoids can carry the current constantly, hence the name.
Michael W
Teardrop Master

Postby Joseph » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:13 am

Michael W wrote:If you forget to disconnect the tow vehicle's battery when at your destination, you will be drawing current from both the trailer's on-board battery and the tow vehicle's battery. This could potentially leave you with a two dead batteries if not careful.

Good point Michael. I also have a disconnect switch on the teardrop battery which is insde my galley cabinet. The first thing I do when making camp is take out the stove, since it's in the way of the battery. The second is to disconnect the battery. I thought about using a solenoid but the disconnect is far cheaper, and given that the original teardrops ran their lights solely off the car battery I don't worry at all about the risk of draining both my truck's battery and my teardrop's marine battery. But if I do, I have the same option the old-timers had - a truck with a manual transmission that can be push-started.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby len19070 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:45 pm

The Selenoids a great Idea. I have an automatic 3 way ref. in my big trailer and I put a selenoid in to cut power when I stop. Works great. Another way thats even easier is to just run an ignition hot wire to the trailer. A lot of new vehicles have high amp ignition hot power ports (cigar lighters).

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Charging

Postby PaulC » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:21 am

Check out arb.com.au, dual battery controllers. They also have agents in the USA and they distribute a smart solenoid manufactured by Surepower over there. :D
Paul
P.S. I have'nt figured out how to make the address a link, so to speak :oops:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby toypusher » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:26 am

Paul,

Just click on the 'URL', then paste in the actual url address, the click 'URL' again.

You should get something like this: http://www.arb.com.au

OR

type [url=then insert the url address (http://www.arb.com.au] in this case), then type something like HERE then [/url]

You should get something like this: HERE

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Charging

Postby PaulC » Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:45 am

Thanks for the info Kerry. I do appreciate all the help that everyone is prepared to hand out so freely on this forum. :thumbsup:
Paul
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby GeorgeTelford » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:28 pm

"charging" from tow vehicle may keep the leisure battery up to about 70% of max charge, if you only use lighting probably not a big issue, but upgrade the alternator regulator and that extra 30% will last many days
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby mexican tear » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:36 pm

The poll will only let me vote once. I charge with the tow vehicle, solar and with a converter. Want to keep the big Optima at afull charge.

kai
"Essie" and the Mexican Tear
mexican tear
Donating Member

Return to User Polls