As you build your TTT what expence do you go to?

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

What expence will you go to in Building your TTT

The Sky is the Limit
13%
Penny Pincher
17%
I expect to spend the usual amount around $3000
38%
cheep as I can go and add as I can afford.
23%
My manufactured one has got what I want
2%
I will build a new TTT later with what I really need
2%
TTT?? I have no TTT... but I can dream !!!!
4%

Total votes : 47

As you build your TTT what expence do you go to?

Postby Ron Dickey » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:08 pm

Are you an addicted shopper, $$$ or does it make more CENTS to hold back.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Woody » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:00 pm

Like Gage'a line goes. Buy the Best materials for the cheapest price possible (paraphrased) That is what I did and it is amazing what you can find when kicking around at big box stores and other places. You would be surprised at the deals one can come across at times
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby JunkMan » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:09 pm

I'm trying to keep the cost as low as possible. That doesn't mean that I am cutting corners, but try to make do with what I can salvage or buy reasonably.

The frame is made of steel that I had around the shop, some of it used. Tires & wheels, used. Fenders, bought on ebay. Taillights, salvaged off a 59 VW bug. Some of the plywood I bought was from the discount rack, figured a busted corner wouldn't hurt since I was going to cut it off anyways, the rest was bought when it was on sale. Some of the dimensional lumber was also used, or bought on sale. Cooler, vintage Coleman from a yard sale. Matress, from the spare bedroom. Door hardware, won at the ITG (Thanks Grant) :thumbsup: Some of the lighting and odds & ends were salvaged from an old pick-up camper. Windows were salvaged from a 65 VW camper van. Stabalizer jacks salvaged from an old pop up camper.

Of course not everyting is used or bought on sale. :cry: The aluminum, most of the trim, hinges, baltic birch plywood, axel, coupler, and wiring are all new. Hardawre, paint, varnish, glue, etc. of course all new. Several new tools were bought for the project (clamps, router bits, saw blades, etc.). Had to buy a hitch and wiring for the VW to tow it.

Not sure what my final cost will be, but I'm hoping it's well under $2000. :D
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby Gage » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:42 pm

What ever it takes to be happy and satisified when it's all said and done.

Have a good day.

8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby bledsoe3 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:42 am

I'm spending more that I can tell my wife. :BE
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Arne » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:33 am

I do not over spend, but I don't cut corners where I'll be sorry down the road.... I used stainless piano hinges on the doors, and uniflex for the exterior coating (around $300), but I didn't get real fancy.... I did try to plan for any future needs with enough wood in the walls for hanging shelves, etc.

In short, I tried not to shoot myself in the foot by being too cheap.. building a tear is quite an effort in time and money, and I don't want to have to fix stuff I 'cheaped out' on.

On my rebuild, I did rip out the jc whitney ceiling vent and went with a fantastic vent.... better in my opinion, but more $$.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby asianflava » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:16 am

I usually decide on what I want, then try to find for the best price. If there is something that drastically cheaper, then I will see if I can get it to work.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:43 pm

I hope using good quality materials will make up for my lack of expertise.

Steve :D
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

penny pincher

Postby Hardin Valley Magic » Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:09 pm

I am approx. half way there but i spend $$ wisely and also get scraps from work(seeings how I do carpenter work :twisted: )
This is my first tear so it is rather simple and effective. However the next one will become quite elaborate....If the wife allows.... :worship:
aka Steven D.
Hardin Valley Magic
Donating Member

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:50 am

I have no problem spending top dollar for something I "really need." The tough part is determining what is important and what turns on my ego. I get to reading the on-line wish list and suppliers web sites and I tend to want one of everything. So I turn off the computer, go out to the garage, create a little saw dust and the urges go away. When I'm done, I expect to have a trailer with everything I need, but not everything I want. I'll probably use oak trim for the cabinets rather than babinga (sp?)... And just because I want it doesn't mean its good for me. My greatest prayer is for the Lord to protect me from myself.

Postby cracker39 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:55 pm

My answer was a toss up between "Penney Pincher" and "cheep as I can go and add as I can afford". I am not stinting to the point of buying poor quality materials, but I do look for the best at the lowest price. I am really hoping to come in well under $3K, and will put in most of what I need when I build it. Maybe I'll add a sink and built-in stereo later. The areas where I will invest my money for good stuff is in the Fantastic Aire vent fan, Dexter torsion axle, and a REAL RV door with screen and window. These alone will set me back about $700. Building my own chassis is a saving, even with the torsion axle and 13" wheels/tires. At least it will be cheaper than buying a 5'x9' trailer chassis or having it built. I haven't estimated the rest yet, but hope to keep it under $2500, and that is for a TTT, larger than a TD.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Chris C » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:09 pm

I really want to build a quality product. After all, that's what I expect of myself in my furniture business. But, as an artist, I don't have all the money in the world to spend on this little toy, so I want to save a buck where I can without comprimising the quality of the end result. :thinking:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby bledsoe3 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:44 pm

Chris, As long as you don't have to apply a silver or gold medallion to it. :lol: Jim
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Chris C » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:27 pm

Bledsoe, based on my plans, at this point, I think I can safely say I won't be putting a silver (definately gold) coin in it. Bronze always looks nice with wood. :lol:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:37 pm

I keep wondring where that $3K figure comes from. I have built three from $300 to $1200. Are people figuring in camping gear and tools too?
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to User Polls