If you were to build it all over again ...

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

If you were to build it all over again, what's your main reason for rebuilding?

I really wanted better quality
14%
I really wanted it longer
8%
I really wanted it taller
4%
I really wanted it wider
21%
I really wanted it lighter
17%
I really wanted a woodie
3%
I really wanted a vintage looking aluminum one
3%
I really wanted a more modern looking one
0%
I really just want to purchase a factory model
3%
Other, I'll add my note below!
26%

Total votes : 205

Postby SteveH » Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:03 pm

Although I really like my 5' X 9' for camping, I'd also really like to have a smaller, maybe 4' X 8' for use with my street rods. Would probably just use it as a luggage hauler/tailgater.

Human nature I guess....we are never satified for very long. :oops:
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Marck » Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:29 pm

I'd change alot of things.
I would have a different design for 6 ppl to sleep, in the building process of the six-pack I have come up with literally TONS of ideas I could have done different.

If I only knew how to design ect.. in CAD iI could have done a much better job.

I'd also go a bit slower.
You want to build WHAT?????

40 isn't middle aged....
IT'S YOUTH PART II
Marck
500 Club

Postby webbedouin » Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:11 am

Though i've been getting close to finishing my first, have already started contemplating the second and the third.

Got into this as a second business and really, really like the work. Solving problems, using lott’sa different tools (think my tool budget is larger than parts so far) and the creativity. Figured from the start that I’d sell the first two and hang on to the third or forth. First 4x8, second 5x10 with power tapped of the car alternator, third will be solar or wind powered.

There are techniques that would be interesting to explore. First aluminum skin (though I‘m real partial to woodies), a tear drop swamp cooler strikes my fancy and would like to explore some interesting shapes, doors and windows. While endeavoring to cram more and more stuff in.

Some things I’d do sooner in the process, left the hatch & windows ‘till I needed to do them and lost much time on both. Could have worked on them sooner, bit by bit, and not have gotten logged down in them before proceeding on other projects.

When the floor got in, decided almost immediately that 26 inches for knee room was much better than 22. So far that’s my biggest dimensional problem. Maybe some short person will buy it and never know the difference…
webbedouin
Teardrop Builder

Postby Roly Nelson » Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:01 pm

I guess this goes under the heading of 'other' If I were to build another tear, it would be shorter, narrower, lower and lighter. There is a possibility that most of my teadrop adventures will be done solo, except for some of the major gatherings. I would also like to be able to stack it on end inside my garage, change the exterior color and design with ease, (ie: with a paint brush) and install suicide doors, so the opening will be close to my pillow. Yeah, thats it, that's what i'll do, I am working on it right now and plan to call it the 1/4 Nelson Stacker. It should have it ready for the next local gathering.
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby oklahomajewel » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:53 pm

Glad to read everybody's ideas!!!

I'm just getting my plans and thinking seriously about how to make my BREDBOX and haul it with my 01 Honda Accord. I have seen so many people say that they would make their next one wider, a 5 footer and thought maybe I should go ahead and make mine 4x5x8. I like the lower height too.. more classic looking .

I hope a 5 footer will not take too much more $ for the trailer alterations or be too much for my Honda.

Any suggestions on that specifically?

:?
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:51 pm

I'll build another one, because I had a good time building the first one...now after it is done...I sit back and check it out and think about what I might like to try on the 2nd one....I like trying different techniques and finishes, and if it doesn't turn out the way I want, I'll just redo what I did until it does...For me, it's not the project...just the process...but I'll admit...it's fun dragging the project around!! Doug 8)
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby darkroomsource » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:50 am

I think I'd like to build a smaller one next time.
-- Andy Hughes
My Teardrop
<><
Grace Happens
darkroomsource
Teardrop Advisor

Postby vinoscooter » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:23 pm

I would have mounted it permanent to the trailer frame. Thought id like to be able to take it off to use the trailer for other things..So next spring will take it off, pull the bed off the tailer & remount the shell permanent...It will be a chore but well worth the effort...All the Great Builder's on this site recomended to mount it right on the first time...But no...i had to be a dumb Sheet...I just didn't listen... :oops: take care...
" You have enemies? Good! It means you've stood up for something at least once in your life."
WINSTON CHURCHILL
vinoscooter
Teardrop Master

Postby JLaman » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:16 am

I am very happy with my "tin-top" that is all aluminum. The vintage styles are really great, but looked like the time and cost would be more than I had available. I saw several wishing they had made their tear wider before I started building, so I made mine 5ft wide. Someone said their are no plans for a 5ft -- you don't need special plans! Just do everything the same, but add 12 inches to width dimensions. If you have a source for 5ft plywood, the cost is nearly the same as 4ft wide. The biggest increase in cost for me was the purchase of the $460 + $90 shipping 5x8 Redtrailer instead of the much less expensive HF model. They are really the same trailer, but with longer cross members.
Jeff L.
JLaman
Teardrop Builder

Postby Dee Bee » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:16 am

I am very happy with the way my Zephyr turned out. Definately would not change the dimensions of the Zephyr. Glad for the large bed and the few inches of extra head room. It seems spacious inside in MHO. I really am an amateur builder. I have never done anything like this before. Others have created fine examples of craftmanship. I am happy with my work and hope to enjoy my TD for year to come. If I had one wish it would be that the TD was lighter. I definately over "enginered". My side walls are built like a tank. The Zephyr sits on a deck made of 2x4s and 1/2 ply. I think the 2x4 could have been cut down. Lots of places to reduce weight. Now I see that I could have use smaller ribs, and thinner ply. I am happy with my electrical instal. Glad I thought this through before hand.
Last edited by Dee Bee on Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:40 am

The main thing I'd like to have had was more time to build it. Two and a half weeks is just not enough!! One thing for certain, the floor on the next one will be 1/2" rather than 3/4" ply and I think I have found a few other ways to lighten the build aspect to allow for a little more "things" weight. All in all I am pretty happy with what I have so far but the deciding factor for me will be after the cupboard doors are made and all the final finish work is done. That will tell me which direction I want to go on the next one.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby bledsoe3 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:37 am

I think I would start it earlier in the summer so I wouldn't have to pack it away for the winter. I also would make it lighter.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby weasel » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:14 pm

After buildin' the trailer 5x10 and lenghtin' the walls on a ''weekender'' design, I'm glad. With the mockup and layin' in it its gonna work good. This way I can adjust my mesurements on the galley,shelves or cabinets etc. For havin' extra space a few more pounds won't matter.
weasel
Donating Member

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:12 pm

I deffinately wouldn't have wasted nine months finalizing my "perfect" design, that is getting changed at just about every step of the build... :?

Postby DSBoring » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:58 pm

HI everyone. This has been a great thread for us looking to build soon. Thanks for all of the great input.

Bledsoe3 I am going to call you after the tax season to set up a time to come see your tear.
Thanks,
Darrell :thumbsup:
My Grandpa always said "Boring is a name, not a condition"
DSBoring
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to User Polls