For travel, what type of books?

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

E-books or real books?

E-books
31%
Real books
69%

Total votes : 13

For travel, what type of books?

Postby wagondude » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:07 pm

I like holding a printed book, but it just seems that they would take up space that could used for something else. I know it is not much space, as most might only take one or two on a trip. E-books give you the ability to have an entire library at your fingertips. The added benefit of cross platform readers and cloud servers gives one the ability to read the same book with laptop, tablet, or smart phone. The down side that I find to E-books is the crazy number of typographical errors. Even in the classics, there are typos. I guess the electronic nature of things and everyone wanting to crank things out quickly, editing has gone by the wayside. I could overlook it if it were a few misspelled words, but many times it turns out to be a whole wrong word or a word just completely missing. I have yet to find an E-book without errors. I was just wondering what other folks preferred. As much as I like holding the book and turning the pages (and the editing). I will probably just stick with E-books for travel.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: For travel, what type of books?

Postby sherryk » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:23 pm

I'm addicted to my kindle. I like the eink reader for sitting outside and reading. And I'll never run out of books...

I have several.. I just can't give them up. Lol. One will read to me in the car, but older and bigger. Another has the integrated light, (good for reading at night) but still bigger than the third... which fits in my back pocket. Kindle keyboard, Kindle paperwhite, and kobo mini, respectively. Yes, I do "need" all of them while camping. Lol. Some people need 5 different sizes of Dutch ovens, I need 3 ereaders. :)
sherryk
Teardrop Builder

Postby pmowers » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:44 pm

I have a Kindle 2, which I read, and I can listen to it read to me when I drive. I used to listen to the audiobook channel on Siriusxm until they rudely dropped the channel.

While I love dead tree books, storage space and versatility have won me over to the electron side. I can carry 1000 books on my Kindle. I can also save pdfs of manuals as a collection so that I have all my instructions and troubleshooting guides on my Kindle, instead of taking up space in the trailer or sitting at home when I am on the road.

Pat
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Build log:http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=51193
pmowers
Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:05 pm

Love my Kindle Fire HD. And if you happen to be somewhere that you can pick up a wireless connection you can also stream movies and tv shows in a pinch (but it's only a 7" screen), or pass the time playing games (my favorite thing to do). It's truly all in one entertainment. Battery life is great too. Mine will run a couple of evenings before I have to recharge it.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby Alleged User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:22 am

I shall spearhead the paper book movement. I like old books...I like the heft of an old, timeworn classic, and I like the old book smell. Plus, it helps me use the pile of handcrafted bookmarks my niece likes to crank out by the handful with her mom's scrapbooking supplies.

Now, I do have an iPad, and do purchase books to read on it. There are certainly times when it's convenient and slick to use the iPad, no question. Yes, there's a whole library of books on the tablet, but I must be old fashioned in that I can only read one book at a time. I also don't seem to have trouble carving out space for a book among my belongings. I also spend 45 hours a week staring at a computer screen at work and counting the minutes until I can go camping and unplug. When I'm camping, I like to park in a comfy chair under a pine tree in the shade, open a real book, and let the world go by as I turn the pages. And if I get up to take a stroll about the site or to the bathhouse, I certainly don't have to worry about anyone stealing the 100 year old tome that I left on my chair.
Kelly & Duke
2011 ZZ Drop
Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy. - Eskimo proverb
Alleged User
Donating Member

Location: Northern Virginia...not to be confused with Virginia.

Postby desertrat9 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:09 pm

I have more than three thousand books (yes) at my house. :shock: I love printed books. When I finally get to meet some of you wonderful people at a gathering you will note that I carry about 15 books on a shelf over the foot of my bed in my teardrop.

Having said that, I can tell you that for the last two years, I have not been without an Android tablet in my possession. I love using the Kindle reading program, I love using the Cool Reader application which will read out loud to me (in a kind of creepy monotone voice) for the six hour drive up to my sister’s house. I love having music and books both together so I can set up a playlist and listen while I read. I love reading in bed at night without needing a light (set the screen brightness down). I love having a multitude of books to choose from. I love having a plethora of songs to choose from.

I currently own a Samsun Galaxy Tab 2 7-inch tablet with a Bobj Rugged Case (think rubber baby buggy bumpers) to protect it. It has proven versatile, connectable, descent battery, runs the occasional Netflix and e-mail and has GREAT quality speakers. I have even Skyped a church service or two for my dad when he had surgery. Most importantly – it has been more rugged than its predecessor.

:) If you like to read, if you like music, if you like to have all this in a small, portable package I would highly encourage anyone to invest in a tablet or e-reader.

PS – The books I carry in my teardrop are mainly reference books - bird books, tree identification, a dictionary, game rules and what are my personal classics – a Bible, Tolkien, etc., things that I already own and am not willing to spend more money on in e-form or that just really, really need to be held in my hand.
Ever consider what our dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come back from the grocery store with the most amazing haul - chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth! - Ann Tyler

It's opener out there - In the wide open air - Dr. Seuss
desertrat9
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dean in Ct. » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:00 pm

I haven't made the switch to electronic readers yet but I'm sure I will soon. On my last overnight (third ever!) last Wed. I brought a well used (free found) copy of "Into the Wild" Kinda' ironic!
Dean in Ct.
Teardrop Master

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:06 pm

Long books, mostly library :)
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Treeview » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:27 pm

Paper books...Patrick O'Brian always is with me...even though I've read and listened to the books more than once.

There are too many books stores around not to have paper in my hands. I'm not a Luddite either, I have the whole printed POB series on my laptop...just in case
Treeview
The 300 Club

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:51 pm

ebooks are cool but when you are siting in a site and there is no wifi or your cell or computer needs a charge it will be useless.

But I do use Google maps when I know where I want to go and then go down to street level and see what the turn off looks like and land marks to remember so day or night it will be much simpler.

I also go to visitors centers and find more exacting maps of the area. AAA seems to be less and less the place to go for a good map or advise.

Back before google maps my folks got sent over one of the most dangerous cliffy roads ever and they are afraid of heights. AAA just looked at the quickest way not thinking how dangerous.

Asking other and word of mouth will get you the best spots though.

Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Fyddler » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:01 pm

That's why I like my e- ink reader, goes for ever without a charge!
To err is human, to really foul up requires a computer

Build Log: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=55017
Fyddler
The 300 Club

Postby sherryk » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:22 pm

Yes, there is a big battery life difference between an e-ink reader (kindle paperwhite, kobo glo are examples) vs a color tablet, which also happens to do ebooks (kindle fire, newer nooks, iPad, Android tablets). Eink devices are almost always 3 weeks or so, often more, between needing a charge, where color tablets might be 6 hours at best.

My eink device usually has a few hundred books, my android maybe 3 books... I just don't read on the tablet.
sherryk
Teardrop Builder

Return to User Polls