Family Size Teardrop - Build or Buy

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Family Size Teardrop - Build or Buy?

Build?
76%
Buy?
24%

Total votes : 84

Postby asianflava » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:26 am

Sorry the poll was build or buy, I didn't know that there was a qualifier to the poll.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby PUPTENT » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:43 am

Where do I vote?
I am interested in a larger teardrop trailer - but for 2 people only
I am interested in buy, not build
PUPTENT - Barry and wife - Class B RV
Novato, California
"Hey, while you're up, mind throwin' another log on the fire?"
PUPTENT
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bledsoe3 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:54 am

PUPTENT wrote:Where do I vote?
I am interested in a larger teardrop trailer - but for 2 people only
I am interested in buy, not build

Top of this page.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby cracker39 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:24 am

Grant Whipp wrote:"The qualifier there is, are YOU really INTERESTED in a teardrop this size? If you are, then pop over and cast a vote ... if you're not, then please don't, because you'll skew the results. "

CHEERS!

Grant

Grant,

Since the poll pertains to folks "really INTERESTED in a teardrop this size", I didn't vote. I joined this forum because I was interested in a TD (my Dad had one when I was a kid). But, my wife is claustrophobic and after she found out what a standard TD is, she said NOT!!!...they're just too confining for her. Since we need more space, I designed my own TTT rather than a large TD, because I would rather have an an interior layout that where we can stand up completely, and with the bed made up for sleeping so as to use the porti-potti at night (a convenience my wife wants as 2AM trips to the head are common at our age). That means I'd have to choose my TTT over your TD.

IF I were considering the TD, as for buy vs. build, I would build it for the same reason I will build my TTT...because 1) I love to design and build things, 2) I like to have something different from everyone else, 3) I like to say "I built it myself", and 4) $$$...I am retired on a limited income. I hope this last part helps with the info you are looking for.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby angib » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:52 am

arnereil wrote:I printed it off as a basis for my next tear...... just the profile,

Then you'll be wanting the geometry too:

Service with a smile!

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Mike Ahern » Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:55 pm

Hi Grant
"Teardrop Thing"
At what point does a teardrop trailer stop being a teardrop and become a camp or travel trailer. In the old 1940s ads for teardrops thay are refured to as a vest pocket trailer for two or a streamlined house on wheels thats light and easily towed. Being a fraction of the size and weight of a full grown trailer you can take wherever a car will go. I think as you make the trailer a family size it becomes more a camp trailer and less of a terdrop. I think the spirit of a teardrop is still a trailer for two. Just my thoughts as a 4X8 builder.
Mike Ahern
Donating Member

Postby beverlyt » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:20 pm

"The qualifier there is, are YOU really INTERESTED in a teardrop this size? If you are, then pop over and cast a vote ... if you're not, then please don't, because you'll skew the results. "

I didn't know about the "qualifier".

I'd rather have a canned ham as opposed to a "large teardrop" so I retract my bid.
(Don't want to "skew" the results)

Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby cracker39 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:06 pm

MIKE AHERN wrote:I think the spirit of a teardrop is still a trailer for two. Just my thoughts as a 4X8 builder.

Mike just summed up what I think I was trying to say. I've seen some designs for a 2+(small)2 that I would still qualify as a tear drop. I think you are qualifying it as still being a TD by the shape and the rear galley. That's cool too.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Re: Family Size Teardrop - Build or Buy

Postby Feral XJ-SC » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:37 am

Grant Whipp wrote:O.K., Gang!

The real question is, "Is there a REAL interest in a teardrop this size?" and if so, would you rather Built It or Buy It?

Grant

I have real interest in a Teardrop this size. I found Andrew's site before I found this forum. I was really interested in his rendition of the Compact JR and then liked the 2+2 for simplicity.... but not the shape of the tall one actually big enough to be a 2+2. So now I am going to build a big Cabin Car. I have no interest in buying something that I think I can make.

I thought I would have started it all ready. Of course, I thought I would have the new subpanel hooked up in my garage too. I didn't know I was going to have help on some house projects... like the help the guy my wife found to build a patio for us (that I didnt know we were going to build this month), he gave me with some really good help with my sewer line last week.... he removed 18 inches of it along with a stump that was in his way, didn't tell me, and refilled the hole.... I found out when all the drains backed up on to my hardwood floors. Then there was the guy that delivered the huge dumpster, but instead of putting it just off the street he drove his big rig into the middle of the yard _while_ we were getting irrigation (in the desert we flood our property once every two weeks and it has several inches of standing water for 24 hours or so). They had to get huge tow truck to get him out... I have been unsucessfully "fixing" the ruts the two vehicles left.
Robert
Feral XJ-SC
Donating Member

Postby grant whipp » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:43 pm

O.K., Gang!

To those of you who I may have offended: O.K., I'm bad, and I'm sorry.
I presupposed that if you DID NOT have an interest in a family-sized teardrop that you would simply NOT vote and NOT participate. I mean, that's how I browse this forum - if I'm not interested in a subject or can't contribute in some way, I pass it by and/or don't post any comment.

Among other things, I'm a Union Officer, and I'm used to dealing with other Union officials and school superintendants & administrators - I guess we speak a slightly different language. Sorry if I took things for granted.

Mike, Mad Jack, and Dean -

Can we (or should we) reset that Poll and start over?

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year, All! In the meantime, and as always ...

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:52 pm

Grant,
Who the heck got upset???
(Typical "supe" response...) :D
We could reset it if you want, but maybe you would get better results with a 'New & Improved' version of the poll. :thinking:
Your call Chief...

Postby mikeschn » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:09 pm

I'm with Dean. If you can come up with a better way to word your poll to get a more accurate reflection of the users here, let's do it.

Let us know, we can tuck your old poll away for safekeeping...

Mike...
Last edited by mikeschn on Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby cracker39 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:58 pm

Just for the record... I wasn't offended in the least. Grant was being honest and I respected that. I tried to reply with what he was looking for by the way of info, although I didn't vote per the qualifications.
:)
Dale

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Re: Family Size Teardrop - Build or Buy

Postby Gage » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:44 pm

Grant Whipp wrote:O.K., Gang!
I've had this design for a Family Size Teardrop (two adults, two children) on the drawing board for over 4 years. The body measures 12' long, 7' wide (wheels/tires inside the body), and 5.5' high (just under 5' floor-to-ceiling, almost 5.5' standing headroom with dropped footwell). Mom & Pop's bed makes into a dinette that comfortably seats 4, and in true "teardrop fashion", the galley is outside under the rear hatch lid, almost 7' wide. Needless to say, there are many ways to configure the basic layout (including the ability to provide for potty space) and many features that could be included (like full stove/oven, refridgerator, complete water system, and even A/C).

The real question is, "Is there a REAL interest in a teardrop this size?" and if so, would you rather Built It or Buy It?

I know that the greater majority of regular "posters" tend to be the built-it-yourself types, so I'm hoping this survey will bring out some of the lurkers. And, the results of this survey MAY prompt a couple of other related polls.

And, no - I'm not prepared to share the design visuals with anyone ... yet! Let's see how this poll shakes out, first, O.K.?

Thanks for participating! In the meantime ...
CHEERS!
Grant
I really don't know how Grant could be any clearer other than sending every one back to school to learn how to read the old way. That's word per word, not every other line. But that's not going to happen. Maybe if another vote line was added, that might help. RE: Not Interested! And why is someone worried about a "qualifier" and not knowing that one was there. I guess they didn't read the whole thing. His second paragraph says what he wants.

I think what he's trying to do is find if there may be a market for this type of teardrop. If he feels there is one out there then he'll most likely sit down figure out cost and other things that will be needed to actually put it out on the market. (why waste time if there is no interest.)

It should also be noted that a lot of us have already built or bought our teardrops so the poll results may be very small for this particular poll.

This is my opinion only. Have a good day.

8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Mike Ahern » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:13 pm

Gage lighten up.
The people that have posted are interested in this subject and do feel thay can contribute in some way. By not voteing I don't see how we can skew up Grants results, we have only given are opinion. Last union meeting I went to this was OK.
Merry Christmas
Mike Ahern
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to User Polls