Galley ledge

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Galley ledge

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun May 10, 2015 7:45 am

Galley ledge how thick is it and what is it made out of.

I wolk up early this morning and thought what if it warps over time? mine will have 4 supports in all, 2 supports both sides, and 2 center ones the with of a cooler form each side. about 15"
I may store things on it when traveling or between trips.

do you use a metal frame or just a thick pc of ply?

I can not put in a poll with check yours because it is a question I never asked for all the hundreds of galleys I have seen.

Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Re: Galley ledge

Postby KennethW » Sun May 10, 2015 8:05 am

budget build, I used a interior house door. :roll:
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun May 10, 2015 10:08 am

Galley ledge how thick is it and what is it made out of.

Do you mean the counter top? If that is what you are referring too, I use half-inch baltic birch plywood. It's supported near the middle and secured to the walls. It is also sits on the lower bulkhead (and goes into the cabin for a shelf) and is secured to the lower bulkhead. The upper bulkhead sits on top of it and it is also secured to it. It's not going to warp. :?

I just snapped this pic:

I may store things on it when traveling or between trips.

Be careful of that, it's a good way to damage your hatch. :thinking:

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun May 10, 2015 10:42 am

Ron, your question isn't that clear but if you're asking about the counter top, it is customary in counter top construction to have a stiffener like a 3/4" x 1 1/2 piece of lumber as a self edge.
I make my teardrop counter top out of 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood with a 3/4" x 3" plywood webbing ( front, rear, sides and middle) glued and stapled to the Baltic Birch.
I pre drill pocket screw holes in the webbing to facilitate the installation of the top in the galley.
After the plam is applied to the top surface I finish it up with a nice piece of 3/4" x 1 1/4" hardwood lumber.
You could skip the lumber edge for any wood and use plam for your finished self edge.
I finish the lumber and underside of the counter top with pre-catalized lacquer to help keep the moisture balance in check.
Moisture balance is extremely important, especially since we use these teardrops in outdoor conditions.

:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Ron Dickey » Mon May 11, 2015 11:04 am

halfdome, Danny wrote:Ron, your question isn't that clear but if you're asking about the counter top, it is customary in counter top construction to have a stiffener like a 3/4" x 1 1/2 piece of lumber as a self edge.
I make my teardrop counter top out of 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood with a 3/4" x 3" plywood webbing ( front, rear, sides and middle) glued and stapled to the Baltic Birch.
I pre drill pocket screw holes in the webbing to facilitate the installation of the top in the galley.
After the plam is applied to the top surface I finish it up with a nice piece of 3/4" x 1 1/4" hardwood lumber.
You could skip the lumber edge for any wood and use plam for your finished self edge.
I finish the lumber and underside of the counter top with pre-catalized lacquer to help keep the moisture balance in check.
Moisture balance is extremely important, especially since we use these teardrops in outdoor conditions.

Sorry to be fuzzy it was 4:30 am when I woke with a burning question. Counter top would be right.

I gather it should be a hard wood ply or other wise like a solid door.
Thanks for the answers. Guys.
Danny (he is a cabinet maker)
by saying with a 3/4" x 3" plywood webbing ( front, rear, sides and middle) .....you mean a frame under the top. so the top has no visible screw or other fasteners showing, as well as extra support.
PLAM stands for Plastic Laminate... is that sheets or a liquid? :scratchthinking: (That was a new one on me had to look it up.)
I think I have a shot of your galley found this one in your gallery
Danny can you take a formal photo of it sometime? :pictures: Tony has a great shot of his.

I look forward to more answers. But for now I have more food for thought. :applause:
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon May 11, 2015 4:37 pm

by saying with a 3/4" x 3" plywood webbing ( front, rear, sides and middle) .....you mean a frame under the top. so the top has no visible screw or other fasteners showing, as well as extra support.
PLAM stands for Plastic Laminate... is that sheets or a liquid? :scratchthinking: (That was a new one on me had to look it up.)

Ron, the answer is yes about the webbing.
Plam or as some would say plastic laminate or Formica ( a brand name, not a description) comes in sheets as small as 2'x8' up to 5' x 12'.
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Return to User Polls