If you plan on coming to '06 Redwood Gathering...

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

What are your thoughts about "other" things to do while in Humboldt County?

I'm going to stay put and stay at or real close to the gathering
4%
I'd be interested in going to the beach and see the ocean
13%
I'd be interested in seeing other redwood groves and forests
No votes
I'd be interested in seeing some of the small towns nearby
No votes
I'd be interested in seeing some of the above
58%
I'd be interested in seeing all of the above
25%

Total votes : 24

If you plan on coming to '06 Redwood Gathering...

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:55 pm

Over the next month or so, we will be working out the details for the event schedule and other activities for this gathering.
The objective of this gathering is for folks to experience the redwoods in a way that gives them treasured memories for years to come.
There are countless sights here in Humboldt County worthy of taking the time to see, which are close to Pamplin Grove.
Some of you will be spending a fair amount of time traveling just to get here... That's why we are starting this gathering in the middle of the week, in hopes of attracting people who will only be able to get away for one week's time of vacation, that have at least a two day's travel time just to get here. Some of you may need to say good-bye to us on Friday in order to make it home in time for work...
We are working on a Local Points of Interests page, so that travelers will be able to catch some of these sights along the way.
We are wondering if once people are at the gathering, will they want to get away for short sightseeing trips.
Please share your thoughts and comments...

Postby Gage » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:12 pm

At least one of the days there, Tanya and I will most likely do some sight seeing around the area. Something we always do when in an area that we haven't been to.

Have a good day.

8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby DestinDave » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:28 pm

I'm looking forward to some photography excursions out and about - especially the ocean and (I saw something posted) the lighthouses. It's a 36 hour drive from St Louis so I'm looking forward to some R&R also...
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby s4son » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:38 pm

We plan on spending a day or two in San Fran coming or going. We haven't worked out all the details yet. The ocean for sure. checking out those big ole trees. I'm sure my wife will want to take in a winery or two (or three or four). :wine:

Scott F.
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Postby cherokeegeorge » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:51 pm

I too plan on getting some nature photos. Dean how far is Fern canyon?
George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

Postby Lazybones » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:16 pm

I am going to go the Fortuna Autorama, probably on friday night for the cruise. I think I will take my trailer along and cruise with it.
This is one of the best shows on the north coast. :thumbsup: On saturday the main show is happening, Old cars,tractors,and more.
Is it true? Is it necessary? Is it kind? Ask yourself these simple questions every time you are in doubt about any action.
Lazybones
500 Club

Postby Gage » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:22 pm

That sounds interesting. I love to Cruise. And let them all know where we are all staying. That's another thing. Hey Dean, with the gates being locked all the time, how are we going to get in the first time? And does that also mean that no outsiders (guest) will be able to drop by and look at the tears.

Have a good day.

8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:37 pm

Lee,
I think the car show is the week before the Redwood Gathering... July 21,22 & 23???

George,
Using the Mapquest link on the Maps page... Orick is just a little under an hour and a half from Martin and Shiley's Store. (Closest Mapquest location to Pamplin Grove... 9/10 of a mile)
Davidson Road is just North of Orick and it probably takes about 20 minutes to get to Fern Canyon once on Davidson Rd.
I'd say Fern Canyon is about 2 hrs. North of Pamplin Grove.
I would advise leaving the trailer at Pamplin... Davidson Road is a dirt road most of the way, if not all the way.
(Guess I'd better find out if teardrops are allowed on Davidson Rd.)
Watch out for Elk standing in the road from Big Lagoon Northward... They usaully gather near the little red school house between Dry Lagoon and Stone Lagoon... Also right around Davidson Rd too. You wouldn't want to hit one of those...

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:43 pm

Gage,
Everyone will be given the combo to the gate.
I don't have a problem with invited guests.
The county does not permit public events at Pamplin.
Hey Gage,
Maybe you and Tanya should catch Lee's Gathering, then hang out at Swimmer's Delight before the Redwood Gathering and you'd be able to catch the car show.
I found the link to the car show...http://redwoodautoxpo.com/
We talked about doing the Redwood Gathering on the same weekend as the sar show, but that was too close to Lee's dates...

Postby Gage » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:07 am

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Gage,
............Everyone will be given the combo to the gate.
I don't have a problem with invited guests.
The county does not permit public events at Pamplin.

I don't consider it a 'public event' but 'public viewing'. I guess I could go into town and invite every one I see to come and look at all the Teardrops as my guests. :twisted:

Have a good day.

8)
Now what is Gage up to. :thinking: Beat you to it. :lol:
Image Image Image
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:22 am

Are you bringing the '56? (probably not, huh?)
You could enter that and win for sure...
I owe you 2 bucks.

Re: If you plan on coming to '06 Redwood Gathering...

Postby Joanne » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:31 am

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Over the next month or so, we will be working out the details for the event schedule and other activities for this gathering.
The objective of this gathering is for folks to experience the redwoods in a way that gives them treasured memories for years to come.
There are countless sights here in Humboldt County worthy of taking the time to see, which are close to Pamplin Grove.
Some of you will be spending a fair amount of time traveling just to get here... That's why we are starting this gathering in the middle of the week, in hopes of attracting people who will only be able to get away for one week's time of vacation, that have at least a two day's travel time just to get here. Some of you may need to say good-bye to us on Friday in order to make it home in time for work...
We are working on a Local Points of Interests page, so that travelers will be able to catch some of these sights along the way.
We are wondering if once people are at the gathering, will they want to get away for short sightseeing trips.
Please share your thoughts and comments...

Hi Dean,

I know that some of the gatherings have a pot-luck one evening. Are you planning that as well? If so I'll bring along some extra cast iron and fixins.

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:56 am

Joanne,
Yes... We are planning a dutch oven potluck. We tried it at the two gatherings at Swimmer's Delight last summer and it worked out great... just one slightly scorched apple crisp, but I'm not telling who. :MLAS

We also plan on doing a barbeque social. We provide the barbeques and briquettes, you bring your own meat and socialize while you're cooking it.

There is a real nice underground pit to do something large on, but it looks like I'm getting out voted on that one...

Postby Gage » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:13 am

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Joanne,
Yes... We are planning a dutch oven potluck. We tried it at the two gatherings at Swimmer's Delight last summer and it worked out great... just one slightly scorched apple crisp, but I'm not telling who. :MLAS
I brought a plate (fork and spoon was in pocket)...Good food. ;)

Dean in Eureka, CA also wrote:We also plan on doing a barbeque social. We provide the barbeques and briquettes, you bring your own meat and socialize while you're cooking it.
There is a real nice underground pit to do something large on, but it looks like I'm getting out voted on that one...
I'll bring a plate (fork and spoon will be in pocket)...Always lots of good food. :thumbsup: :yes:

Have a good day.

8)
Image Image Image
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Gage » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:41 am

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Are you bringing the '56? (probably not, huh?)
You could enter that and win for sure...
I owe you 2 bucks.

I'll most likely bring the Wagon. It'll depend on my mood and also which one is running. He, he, I just got the '59 running a couple of weeks ago and now the '56 is broken. Having two vintage cars is a full time maintance job all in it's self just to keep them running. If the car show was the same weekend, I might consider it. It would mean two days of cleaning truck and tear and then one day up there. :? I most likely won't but we'll see. Now just to cruise the town, that's different.

Have a good day.

8)
Image Image Image
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Next

Return to User Polls