BUMPER POLL

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

What do you think about a bumper on your TD?

I don't need no stinkin' bumper
27%
I have a bumper
34%
I wish I had a bumper
20%
Nobody backs my trailer but me, because I don't have a bumper
7%
I have short arms and a bumper would make it hard to reach into the galley
No votes
I had a car once that had no bumpers
11%

Total votes : 44

BUMPER POLL

Postby Steve_Cox » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:32 pm

I want to build a bumper, and have a pair of 15" X 1.25" LED tail/turn/stop lights that will be mounted under the bumper. Also think it would be nice to extend the ends of the bumper out to protect the fiberglass fenders a little when backing up. So what do you think about bumpers? I'm starting on mine tonight.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby PaulC » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:38 pm

Mines 2x2x3/16 attached directly to the rear bar of the trailer. More of a bump, oops type of thing rather than a full on bumper.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Nitetimes » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:22 am

I have to build mine yet. I need to figure out how I am going to get it to drop down first.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby len19070 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:15 am

I used a front 66 VW after market bumper. I think it was $35 with the brackets at http://www.blimpvw.com/bumpersfenders.html I don't really think it would do much, except break if I ever hit anything but the origional trailer I coppied had one so I put one on the new one as well

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby 48Rob » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:17 am

My first one had a 2 x 2 steel tube for a bumper, only about 2/3 of it stuck out, so as not to be in the way of using the galley.

This one isn't quite as strong, but will work to protect from an errant picnic table or power box.
Though it looks like it is in the way, it is just shy of touching your leg while standing at the galley.

Rob

Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby len19070 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:31 pm

48Rob wrote:My first one had a 2 x 2 steel tube for a bumper, only about 2/3 of it stuck out, so as not to be in the way of using the galley.

Oh Mine sticks out and gets in the way of using the galley all right. I swayed from the original design and made the stove roll out. My back couldn't take it. It wasn't even done yet and I discovered that.

That's a good point Rob brought up. If you want a bumper...keep it out of your way.

Happy Trails

Len

len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby 48Rob » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:47 am

Len,

I wasn't trying to run over your bumper...
It really does look good! :thumbsup:

Bumpers and teardrops are a tough combination to make work.

To be effective, they must protrude far enough rearward to be able to absorb at least a minor impact, but if they protrude that far, then they're in the way. :thinking:

No easy answer, except maybe if you have a Jim Dandy design...but then you bang your legs on the tongue.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:34 am

Rich has a good thought to make the bumber swing down out of the way. My new bumper is going to be bolted on and in a fixed position for now, but readily modified later if need be. It extends out 4" past the back of the TD. The oven/stove faces the back and slides out past the bumper. Looking at the photos, my galley counter top doesn't seem to be as deep as yours Len, so I think I'll let our backs decide if we need to have a swing down bumper or not. Thanks Len, Rob, Rich & Paul for posting.
8)
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby len19070 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:26 pm

48Rob wrote:Len,

I wasn't trying to run over your bumper...
It really does look good! :thumbsup:

Bumpers and teardrops are a tough combination to make work.

To be effective, they must protrude far enough rearward to be able to absorb at least a minor impact, but if they protrude that far, then they're in the way. :thinking:

No easy answer, except maybe if you have a Jim Dandy design...but then you bang your legs on the tongue.

Rob

No, No Rob, no offense taken. I agree, and admitedly my bumper truly is a pain in the tail. Oh the things we do for looks.

Happy Trails

Len

len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby subtearanean » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:05 pm

I've always been a big billiards fan, but I could never wrap myself around bumper pool. I don't know if it's because the table seems to be about half the size of a real billiards table, or if it's because I always lose whenever I play. Of course, I always lose at real billiards, so maybe that's not it.

Oh, wait. Bumper poll?

Damn.
subtearanean
Teardrop Master

Postby Steve_Cox » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:49 pm

subtearanean wrote:I've always been a big billiards fan, but I could never wrap myself around bumper pool. I don't know if it's because the table seems to be about half the size of a real billiards table, or if it's because I always lose whenever I play. Of course, I always lose at real billiards, so maybe that's not it.

Oh, wait. Bumper poll?

Damn.

Snooker, now that's a fun game of billiards. 8)
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Return to User Polls