So how do I extend a line, without losing my parallelism

Member designs created in Sketchup or other cad program

So how do I extend a line, without losing my parallelism

Postby mikeschn » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:32 pm

So how do I extend a line, without losing my parallelism to the outside profile...? (Hoping it's not an eyeball kind of a thing!)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: So how do I extend a line, without losing my parallelism

Postby mikeschn » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:40 pm

I did find this... but it creates a new line, rather then extending an existing line...

Re: How to do mirror, extend, line offset, etc.?

Postby Chris Fullmer on Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:21 am
Just use the pencil tool to continue the line. If you start at the end of the line, then run back on the line and pause for a second, then move forward, you should get a pink line that is parallel to the reference line. So it will be an extension of the line you are starting from.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby danlott » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:33 pm

As you figured out you can not really extend a line like in normal CAD programs. It makes a new line and is treated as such. What I would do is use the tape measure icon to create a guide line. Select the tape measure, click and hold on the line that you want to extend. Move the mouse off the line then back over the line. This will create a guide line on top of the line you want to extend. I would then use the select tool to click on the line and delete it. You then draw a new line using the guide line to ensure to stay in the same plane as the outside profile.

Using guide lines is how you should be drawing your lines. You can start out a drawing from a black sheet by using the axis lines to layout the outside box of your profile, then use the pencil to draw lines between the intersection points of the guide lines. Sort of like drawing a sheet of plywood hanging in the air. Then make new guide lines to start layout various items on your profile, followed by using the pencil to connect the guide points again. This sounds harder than it is, but it is really easy after you figure it out.

Dan
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Postby TheDuke » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:50 pm

I"ve used the "pink line" method since I started with SU, and it works every time. After awhile, it becomes sort of natural to keep things in a plane. Just hang in there.
TheDuke
Teardrop Master

Postby starleen2 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:34 pm

TheDuke wrote:I"ve used the "pink line" method since I started with SU, and it works every time. After awhile, it becomes sort of natural to keep things in a plane. Just hang in there.

+1
Just extend the line through the plane and then select the "overage" and delete it. it even works when extending the line when it turns green (green meaning that it is continuing in a straight line from the point of origin
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:27 pm

I played with guidelines for a couple secs this morning before I left for work. It works... I can delete the old line, and draw a new line. But it doesn't snap to the guide line, only the end point of the guideline.

Is there a way to make it snap to a guideline? How about to the intersection of two guidelines?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby TheDuke » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:03 pm

The only way I have ever found to get the new line to coincide EXACTLY with the old, is to go the "pink line" route. Take the existing "too short" line and click on the beginning and the end. Then go back to the beginning, click on that, and extend the cursor out past the end of the line, and the "pink line" will display itself. Drag it out beyond where you need it, and click to make it permanent. Then remove whatever length you don't need.

If you are very careful when you begin your construction, to keep everything aligned with one of the three main axes, then you can always know the parallelism of your new construction, because it will tell you when you are aligned to one of the axes. Doesn't work for everything, but it's a help.
TheDuke
Teardrop Master

Postby danlott » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:05 pm

I usually set up guide lines and guide points to draw lines with. You can create your first guide line, then click on that guide line and drag the mouse in the direction that you want a new guide line. Type in the number of inches that you want to space the guide lines. You then create a guide line that intersects with the guide lines you already have. Then draw a line between the guide line intersections.

It is pretty hard to explain this, but it is a very simple process. I could show you in person if just a few minutes, but you would have to travel to Nevada. :lol:

I should make a video of how to make a simple teardrop trailer and post it on YouTube. It does not take very long, should be able to do it is a few minutes, but would be able to show alot of tips and tricks. Does anyone know of a good screen video recorder that is free?

Dan
Image Image
danlott
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:08 pm

mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby danlott » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:16 pm

Well it looks like I need to put up or shut up. Maybe I will do a simple trailer like the Benroy. Give me a few days as I am working solid for the next 7 days, but should be able to work in some free time.

Dan
Image Image
danlott
Donating Member

Postby TeriL » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:05 am

Hi Mike,

I know this thread is a bit dated but maybe you and a new reader will benefit.

To extend an existing line, select the line tool and start on the end of the line you want to extend. Go back on the line you want to extend and press and hold the shift key on the keyboard, keeping the shift key down will lock the line to be coincident. Extend the line as far as you need. Best to go further since it's easy to erase any excess.

If what you wanted is to draw a line parallel to an existing line which is part of a close area, use the offset tool in the "Tools" menu. When the offset tool cursor "touches" the enclosed area, it will be highlighted. Click on the area and move the cursor inside or outside of the area and a parallel line will be drawn. You can enter a numeric value if you want an accurate offset. The offset line drawn will also follow curves with a radius +/- the offset.

Sometimes when drawing an offset line inside, the offset line will form "horns" if the offset exceeds the radius of a rounded corner. In that case, simply erase the unwanted horns.

Hope this helps any Sketchup users.

-- Teri

mikeschn wrote:So how do I extend a line, without losing my parallelism to the outside profile...? (Hoping it's not an eyeball kind of a thing!)

Mike...
Our reach should exceed our grasp or what is a heaven for? -- Marshall McLuhan
TeriL
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Sketch up designs